Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cleaners (keg, carboy, lines, etc) > DIY Carboy / Corny Keg / hopefully Sanke Keg Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
bracehelton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default DIY Carboy / Corny Keg / hopefully Sanke Keg Washer

As can be imagined by the title. I am very confident in my ability to build a washer capable of taking on a carboy or Pepsi keg. I'm just not sure if it will work in a Sanke keg. Likely it will require the spear to be removed. I might be able to accomplish building a set up where you could leave it in but visually verifying that the contents are cleaned will be impossible. I am a Quality Control inspector by trade and therefore the lack of ability to inspect the post cleaning condition doesn't sit well. My main question is, would anyone have any interest in me posting my process with a very thorough listing of my parts used (names of parts, where I bought them and how much $) ? I have seen a few build and they just kinda say "3/4 PVC and 1/4" hose barb". That's lame to me, I have found a few parts that make the build pretty neat, I'm just waiting on everything I ordered to be delivered. So... Any interest?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
crosamich
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would love to see that. I am a dairy scientist so I feel you on the inspection. When I was brewing on the pilot plant in grad school I had a rigged setup for cleaning sankes involving soaking, upside down kegs, sanke tap w/valve removed and just kind of went with it.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
bracehelton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I may have spoke too soon. I saw a post titled similar to mine. Something like "DIY Carboy/keg cleaner". So this won't be a groundbreaking build or anything. But I have some improvements in mind over the one I'm referring to, so I will still itemize my build.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 2432

Standing By........

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 57

+1

Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
bracehelton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am still waiting on my pump to come in. I just got word it is shipping out now. I will have some updates in a couple days. I was just trying to gauge if it was worth the posts or if nobody would care... It sounds like there is some interest. I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but I'm not sure how I can accomplish the snake washing feature while leaving the spear in. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for implementing some cool features?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
bracehelton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wow! If you happen to live in Southern California and need a pump... I got an email saying my pump was shipping out on 5/10 (This morning), I come home and find the pump at my doorstep. It's like they just sent some dude to drop it off. I will take it! Anyways, here is my attempt to make this very thorough as I stated.
- I bought a 1/3 Hp Superior Pump (Brand Name, not my egotistical claim of pump supremacy) Submersible Pump. I purchased it off of amazon for $59 free shipping @ http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
silveravnt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

and then?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveravnt View Post
and then?
I understand delays or no progress reports.
I starded my washer a year ago, still messing with it.

http://m238.photobucket.com/albums/C...0keg%20washer/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
bracehelton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I actually built one but it was just a simple pvc attachment onto the pump. I have been busy rebuilding my brew room because I had a house flood and the beer gods decided the flood should centralize right on my favorite room in the house. As far as the pump, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...leaner-300441/ this is close but I did mine with a 3/4" copper "wand" tube to allow more drainage. I had plans of grandeur but it just didnt pan out that way.

Quick Reply