Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cleaners (keg, carboy, lines, etc) > $10 Tap line cleaning system.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Ricand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sweeeet! I absolutely hate my cheapo commercial one I bought. Leaks all over, always and that beer line cleaner stuff, you don't want shooting around. I have a bunch of faucets, so it's always a chore. I'm on my way to Lowes. What size thread fits the bottom of the liquid post?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
Sweeeet! I absolutely hate my cheapo commercial one I bought. Leaks all over, always and that beer line cleaner stuff, you don't want shooting around. I have a bunch of faucets, so it's always a chore. I'm on my way to Lowes. What size thread fits the bottom of the liquid post?
Ok that is the catch. You need to find a 3/8 compression fitting. The side the tubing usually slides into is the side you want. Take the nipple and nut off and the post will screw onto it. It is a weird size. I don't actually think it is the right size either, but with a healthy amount of thread tape and a wrench it works great and seals tight.

I used a 3/8 female to 3/8 tubing compression adapter. I took my post in with me and spent like 30 minutes trying every combination I could until I found something that worked. Then just get a hose barb that matches the other side of the adapter and you should be set. Mine is a bit different only because I had those other parts laying around.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

That's a good setup for sure. I've been using a two liter PET bottle with a carbonator cap. I fill the bottle with hot tap water and Oxyclean or PBW and attach a gas connector to the beer line. Then it's a simple matter to charge the PET bottle with CO2, invert the bottle and run the solution through the line and tap. I use a second PET bottle with rinse water to do the same. Previously, I was using a 3 gallon corny keg much like you are doing with the tank sprayer, but found then it dawned on me that I could use the carbonator cap in much the same way.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewmoor
Great info. And than you for the parts list, I know finding anything that remotely fits the post at a hardware store is difficult.
When cleaning the lines is this easy, it encourages you to clean more often.
cheers

Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
That's a good setup for sure. I've been using a two liter PET bottle with a carbonator cap. I fill the bottle with hot tap water and Oxyclean or PBW and attach a gas connector to the beer line. Then it's a simple matter to charge the PET bottle with CO2, invert the bottle and run the solution through the line and tap. I use a second PET bottle with rinse water to do the same. Previously, I was using a 3 gallon corny keg much like you are doing with the tank sprayer, but found then it dawned on me that I could use the carbonator cap in much the same way.
I like this idea as well, but how do you get the Carbonator cap, designed as a gas in post, to fit, since the bev out and gas in use different sized posts?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I like this idea as well, but how do you get the Carbonator cap, designed as a gas in post, to fit, since the bev out and gas in use different sized posts?
The gray gas connector fits the carbonator cap as you mentioned. I use the flare fitting type of connectors, so it's a simple matter to switch out the black connector on the beer line with the gray gas-in connector. All of my beer lines are equipped with flare fittings on both ends. This makes everything interchangeable. It's also handy for making a jumper line for racking from one keg to another using two of the black liquid connectors. The black liquid-out connectors can be easily disassembled for a thorough soak and cleaning too.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
The gray gas connector fits the carbonator cap as you mentioned. I use the flare fitting type of connectors, so it's a simple matter to switch out the black connector on the beer line with the gray gas-in connector. All of my beer lines are equipped with flare fittings on both ends. This makes everything interchangeable. It's also handy for making a jumper line for racking from one keg to another using two of the black liquid connectors. The black liquid-out connectors can be easily disassembled for a thorough soak and cleaning too.
Aha, makes sense!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #18
frogfree
Recipes 

For the original design, you can use a barb fitting with a male connector on the other end that almost fits the keg post. A little JB Weld and you're set without all the extra hardware. Of course, it means you can't re-purpose the keg post after that....

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #19
AlchemyBrewing
Recipes 

Will the poppet work with this configuration? Maybe a better way to ask the question is will the post hold pressure or do you have to wait until it is all connected to pressurize?

What is the cleaner of choice and what do you do to rinse after that?

I AM ......LIFTING BOY!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have been just running starsan through it but I only have two beers through my system so far. Both were pale. My tap system is brand new.

The post holds pressure. I pumped it up as hard as I could and no leaks. It was very nice to use. Very easy with no mess.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Quick Reply