Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Yet another 3 tier rig--dialup warning large pix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #31
MajorWoody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I definitely agree that the immersion chiller brings with it less risk of contamination. I also think that as it drops the temp of the wort, more of the hot break gets a chance to settle out and gets left behind in the bottom of the BK. With the CFC, most of my hot break ends up in the bottom of my fermenter and I can't get rid of it until I rack to secondary. Whether this makes any difference, I have no idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #32
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Very nice craftsmanship OP

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #33
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

very nice, i may steal some of these ideas for my brew rig seems to be the perfect size for the garage area i am looking for

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
MajorWoody
Recipes 

I recently thought more about the years of accumulation of who-knows-what inside the CFC. Just for kicks I ran a gallon of hot water mixed with Oxy Clean through the CFC. I let it sit in there for a few hours, then flushed it out. Disgusting. Oxy Clean is amazing. I think I will do that a couple times a year, going forward.
I probably have seventy batches of beer through this thing now. Still happy with everything but the cheapo upper water valve, which is a little irritating but not irritating enough to replace it.
The inside liner of the mashtun is also all puckered and warped up. Someday it will crack and leak, I'm sure. I will try a different brand of beverage cooler next time.
I need to get one of those thermometers that you stick on the side of your propane tank that tells you how much is inside as you start to use it. Not cool to run out of propane halfway through the boil.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 186

If you don't mind spending a little money, you should look into cutting out the cooler liner and putting a SS pot inside. Its been done a few times on here, and you get the benefit of both SS and the cooler that way.

Awesome brewstand. Maybe once I've got the money to build one I'll copy this. For now I'm just getting my first burner and getting ready to convert a sanke to a BK. I'll be doing BIAB to start, and since i have a pump already, I'll probably try fly-sparge BIAB after a few batches.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #36
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot View Post
If you don't mind spending a little money, you should look into cutting out the cooler liner and putting a SS pot inside. Its been done a few times on here, and you get the benefit of both SS and the cooler that way.
I would second this opinion. I rebuilt my cooler mash tun this spring and love the way the rebuilt mash tun works. Here is the thread on how Ben completed the task.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #37
DWright
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like everything about this, so much so I went out an bought a 24' length of 2" sq 14ga tube. One question how is the heat transfer between the HLT, BK and the MT? The reason I ask is I'm thinking about an inline (plastic) water filter on the back side of the vertical tube. Nice work!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
MajorWoody
Recipes 

That tube doesn't even get mildly warm. There is a plastic switch mounted in the top of the vertical tube which is not affected by the HLT burner.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #39
byrdmen
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Major,

I've been needing to say thanks, your post inspired me to buy a HF welder, learn the basics, and build an three tier that should look familiar.

Probably should have closed the garage door before I took the picture. Overall it makes brewday much easier.

Quick Reply