Wooden Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernardo

Reaction score
Well, here are the first two pics of my stand. You can see it's not small. It's about 2' by 6' and made of PT wood. It'll be living outside on my deck, so I went with the more weather-friendly option. Once it's sealed, the PT nastiness shouldn't be much of a problem...

I guess this isn't much new, just another take on Scubasteve's classic design. It's put together with bolts so that I can disassemble the stand (partially) when I move.

I've actually got the rest of the shelving in, and my kegs are living on it already. I've done a ton of updates since these pictures have been taken, so I'll try to take a couple more tomorrow.

Stand1.jpg

Stand2.jpg

Here are a couple more pics. First one shows the stand's basic architecture. I haven't yet mounted the gas plumbing, but it's essentially done. Pipe still needs painting. The second is a view that shows the rails to mount the SS tube. I still haven't drilled through all the stainless yet, because it's a PITA.

Stand3.jpg

stand4.jpg

Oh! After spending days researching and testing material to use for the top, I realized that a local mill has quality cedar at a nice price. (Actually should have gone for the entire stand out of cedar...) So eventually the middle shelf will be cedar, and each burner will have a removable top. When all three are in place, I'll have a nice cedar tabletop/work station on my deck.

And of course, now that this is 90% done and I could conceivably brew on it next week, we've just started the process of buying a new house. Should be in the house in 30-45 days. I'm a teacher, and school will start then, which means back to working 12 hour days and weekends too. I'll be lucky to brew a batch on this in 2011, I think. Luckily the house has no garage and a giant deck, so my needs for the stand remain the same.

Very nice. I would love to build something like this but my limited metal fabrication skills keep me from trying. Looks like you have something in place that would make my lack of skill in metal fabrication a moot point. Will you post a picture when you mount your burners? I am curious to see how that would be accomplished.
I too am a teacher and will be going back to working 6 days a week and my brew days will be limited. How deep and long did you make this?

37Olive: It's 6' wide and 2' deep. The burners will be mounted by attaching them to a piece of angle iron, that's currently getting primed and painted. I'll try to mount it over the next couple of days and post pics.

What is the plan for the cedar top? I'd suggest making it a slatted top so the rain runs through it....a solid top will just allow the rain to pool on top of it.

Otherwise, looks pretty good!,

No solid plan yet, broadbill. I hear you about the pooling and that's good advice. I'm torn between the slatted design and getting a large grill cover to fit over the top during the winter storms and rain.

Taking a closer look at your rails...are they sitting on top of bolts? Trying to figure out if they are attached to your 2x6's or not...just curious as I have a similar build going on and have not yet decided the best way to mount my rails...

The way that I've got the rails set up is with bolts. The idea is that if I do find some transfer of heat from the metal to the stand, I can order some ceramic standoffs to place in between the two. I don't think it'll be necessary, but it's there in case I need it. The threaded inserts are expensive, but worth it. The stand is disassembled now for staining, but I'll try to take pictures when I can.

The way that I've got the rails set up is with bolts. The idea is that if I do find some transfer of heat from the metal to the stand, I can order some ceramic standoffs to place in between the two. I don't think it'll be necessary, but it's there in case I need it. The threaded inserts are expensive, but worth it. The stand is disassembled now for staining, but I'll try to take pictures when I can.

Nice, I'm sure it will look awesome. Not sure I follow you on how your rails are attached. I'll keep looking at the pictures until it makes sense. I'm staining this weekend. Glad to see more wood rigs popping up!

Latest posts

Back