Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Wood Brutus 10

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been working on my stand for a little over a week off and on and have made some progress (here). I have some 1.5" square steel tubing to make the crossbeams. The inside width of my stand is 24" so I'm planning on cutting the beams at 26" and notching out my 2x6's an inch on each side and an inch and a half deep to make them flush with the top. The beams will be spaced 12" to hold the keggle and to make room for the burner. Each set of beams will be placed 8" from each other. My concern here is that the heat transfer from the steal might scorch the wood where it's notched and set in. Anyone see this being an issue?

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Single Tier Wooden Brutus build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My previous stand is wood too. No issues with scorching. My current design and old one utilizes an air gap and I find this works very well. The only concern I have is my banjo burners I have on order puts out quite a bit more heat. There's another guy on the forum with a wooden Brutus 10 clone. I copied my dimensions from him and I don't think he's reported any issues.

Fermenters: Empty
Kegs: Vanilla Porter and Smoked Chipotle Ale, Barley Wine Partigyle
Bottles: Barley Wine, Smoked Stout, Orange Clove Mead, Raspberry Mead, Hard Cider
Up next: Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was thinking that the heat could transfer enough down my crossbeams and scorch the wood where it's set into the notches. I'm not that worried about it as it would cost me about $5 to replace the 2x6's and do something different if that were the case.

On a side note, it's annoying that neither of the big box hardware stores carry 1.5" steel square tubing and that they charge so much for the smaller stuff.

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

New update: Put together my gas manifold. set it in place but not attached yet. Still waiting for my burner from Agri-Supply...ordered in December and then they went back order...were supposed to be here end of January and now I got an email pushing till mid February Oy!! I may start working on my control panel next. The only down side is now I need to start dis assembling my old brew bench... guess I'll have to go old school on brewing.

Here are some pics of my new manifold.

Bottles: Barley Wine, Smoked Stout, Orange Clove Mead, Raspberry Mead, Hard Cider

Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well after nearly 3 months waiting my burners arrived! Installed them this weekend and hooked up the gas valves. Now to start working on the running wire and building my control panel.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you drill out the propane orifice or did you buy them for low pressure? I drilled mine out and it's working for me but I'm thinking I can still work it to get a more efficient flame. I may just suck it up and buy the low pressure orifice, they're less than $10 a piece I think.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bought the low pressure orifices. They were $7 a piece at Brewer's Hardware. (http://www.brewershardware.com/Valve...or-BURN10.html)

I read a lot of post about drilling them out. Since I didn't have the right drill bit I figured by the time purchased the bit and valves it would be as cheap and easier just to buy the low pressure valves.

Glad yours are working...I like doing for myself whenever I can too...the tinkering for me is half the fun in the brewing hobby.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #18
slippery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

looks sweet....I want one!

Quick Reply