Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Wind Shield for Bayou Classic KAB6 burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
revco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I saw that and decided to take the risk anyway. I'll know if that's actually true when I receive it. I checked Kaiser's actual site for adjustable cake rings and they only offered a single model in the deep cake style. So either the other source mentioned has a different, undocumented model or they're the same. Worst case, I'll just drill some holes and place some bolts further up on the default shroud so I can mount it higher up. I'll post back once I receive it so I can confirm if the model on Amazon is truly shorter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

How is this working out for you? Obviously stainless steel will not melt, but have you had any issues or concerns? Do you wish you maybe had one to fill in that last half an inch between the top and the stand?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
revco
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got about 6 batches on mine and it's still holding up well, seems like it'll last a long time. I don't think the difference is "night and day" as far as propane use, but it does seem to help a little bit. I was expecting results like the OP, but I don't think the savings were that significant. I saw another style using ducting on here and thought about trying it out to compare, but I'm concerned about the galvanized aluminum that ducting is typically made out of.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

7 lbs of propane for one batch seems excessive to me.

I easily brew FOUR, 11-gallon batches using my SQ14 and about 15 lbs of propane. I do 90 minute boils and heat my strike and sparge water on it too. My boils aren't raging but they are nice and rolling with plenty of heavy steam.

One thing I do though is I have a heat shield made from curved 24" sheets of tin that rides half way up the kettle walls, shields the burner from wind and channels any heat that escapes around the kettle into the kettle walls. I think this has something to do with my efficiency.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
7 lbs of propane for one batch seems excessive to me.

I easily brew FOUR, 11-gallon batches using my SQ14 and about 15 lbs of propane. I do 90 minute boils and heat my strike and sparge water on it too. My boils aren't raging but they are nice and rolling with plenty of heavy steam.

One thing I do though is I have a heat shield made from curved 24" sheets of tin that rides half way up the kettle walls, shields the burner from wind and channels any heat that escapes around the kettle into the kettle walls. I think this has something to do with my efficiency.
Keep in mind that the different burners make a world of difference. I guess the KAB4 is just a lot more inefficient. I have one too and usually only get 2 ten gallon batches out of a tank of propane.

That setup sounds like a good idea but I have my burner up on cement blocks so I can drain the kettle into the mash tun or the carboys using gravity.

Quick Reply