Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > What to use for control box on E-brewery build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #31
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

First and foremost... I am not an expert on this subject.

But, my thoughts are that if you have a box that will allow moisture in, like around a switch or other device (maybe a fan), then you are better off with some kind of weep hole in the bottom of the box. In other words... if it is possible for water to get in, better to make a way for it to get out safely than have your box fill up with water. I would also try to protect the weep hole from allowing water to enter.

I'd like to hear an experts opinion.

Ed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #32
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
First and foremost... I am not an expert on this subject.

But, my thoughts are that if you have a box that will allow moisture in, like around a switch or other device (maybe a fan), then you are better off with some kind of weep hole in the bottom of the box. In other words... if it is possible for water to get in, better to make a way for it to get out safely than have your box fill up with water. I would also try to protect the weep hole from allowing water to enter.

I'd like to hear an experts opinion.

Ed
Our nema 3 boxes have beveled weep holes in the bottom.

If the box is going to mounted below the brewery I don't see a problem with a Nema 4 box modified underneath. It will technically be Nema 3 but the front and sides will be protected from forceful water entry. Just keep it off the ground. It is better than nothing.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 AM   #33
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think if you want to go cheap...the best thing to do is get an indoor rated box (not water tight at all!) and put it somewhere well away from any liquid or if it will be under the rig, cover it (just like the march pumps) so the water is deflected away.

By no means is this to any code but it will help from the minor spills and splashes we tend to see every brew day. If I were doing this I would at least get the water tight buttons, switches, etc since those will need to be accessible and not under the "cover."

Again, by no means is this saving you from any kind of electric shock, short or any liquid + electric hazard at all!!!

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #34
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Use an ammo can, 50 cal or larger. They're cheap, watertight, and indestructible.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #35
VonMessa
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXguy View Post
If you have a local alarm installer - ask them if they've got any old panels you can take off their hands.

I've got about 4 old panels like that anyone can have if they want to pick them up in Southeastern PA. Single side hinge, about 20 x 18 x 6 " deep. Solid black with some painted lettering on the outside.

PM me. I'm probably around the corner

Für lange zu leben, ist wie eine Katze und trinkt wie ein Hund!

Quick Reply