Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > What to use for control box on E-brewery build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
SOB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
For our purposes and the environments they are located in they really should be Nema 4x rated enclosures. I am guilty of this myself, my control panel is not but the enclosure holding the rest of the hardware is. Ill be fixing this one day soon.

Search ebay for nema 4x. You'll have plenty to choose from.
Just NEMA 4 is necessary...4X is actually NEMA 4 but corrosion resistant. Honestly, neither are "necessary" in my mind but there are some precautions that should be taken when there is water present around the electrical box. I dont plan on using a NEMA4 rated panel but I know my panel will be mounted out of the "splash zone" for a lack of a better term.

Still...the precaution does need to be taken because the indoor boxes most people are using are definitely NOT water tight and liquid tight connections will help, but if the box isnt water tight you can get yourself into trouble!

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #22
lspr_mtu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Just NEMA 4 is necessary...4X is actually NEMA 4 but corrosion resistant. Honestly, neither are "necessary" in my mind but there are some precautions that should be taken when there is water present around the electrical box. I dont plan on using a NEMA4 rated panel but I know my panel will be mounted out of the "splash zone" for a lack of a better term.

Still...the precaution does need to be taken because the indoor boxes most people are using are definitely NOT water tight and liquid tight connections will help, but if the box isnt water tight you can get yourself into trouble!
Those are good points. Although I'll try to keep it watertight where I can, there are inevitably going to be some holes. By virtue of the fact that I am installing RDT sensor connectors and 120V outlets on the exterior of the panel, I know I won't be absolutely waterproof. That said, the plan is to disconnect the brewing vessels and remove them from the stand for cleanup - no CIP for me. Also, the boil kettle will be positioned furthest away from the control box, so boilovers should be safely far enough away from exposted electronics. The "water resistent" aspect of the enclosure is purely for protection from accidents - definitely not intended to withstand a hose down.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #23
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspr_mtu View Post
Those are good points. Although I'll try to keep it watertight where I can, there are inevitably going to be some holes. By virtue of the fact that I am installing RDT sensor connectors and 120V outlets on the exterior of the panel, I know I won't be absolutely waterproof. That said, the plan is to disconnect the brewing vessels and remove them from the stand for cleanup - no CIP for me. Also, the boil kettle will be positioned furthest away from the control box, so boilovers should be safely far enough away from exposted electronics. The "water resistent" aspect of the enclosure is purely for protection from accidents - definitely not intended to withstand a hose down.
And that's understandable. That's why I am not worrying about it. I think of when I have ever spilled and in about 3 years of brewing I have had 1 boil over and other than than some spills here and there. Nothing that would even permeate a normal (ie. non NEMA4 box) but I am the only one that knows that...who knows (other than yourself) how much you spray water around?! Better to be safe then sorry - not only with the enclosures but also with the advise.

Cheers!

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #24
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post

You're right about the Nema 4. I wrote 4x out of habit because thats all we quote here at work, lots of hydrogen sulfide. My panel is mounted underneath the brewery and thats why I chose a Nema 4.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In addition to a watertight panel, Fermcap/Foam Control are cheap insurance against burns and electrocution, considering boilovers are the #1 type of spill. I also like to check my connections before starting pumps and hosewater, FWIW.....

Old 12-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #26
lspr_mtu
Recipes 

I've become an avid user of fermcap as well. Not so much for fermentation, but for the boils. Especially for preparing starters. I boil the starter wort right in my Erlenmeyer, with the shape of an Erlenmeyer, boilover is all but guaranteed without fermcap. Great stuff.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #27
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Guess i am a little late, but i got a clam shell type case from this guy.

http://customaluminumboxes.com/

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #28
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts

If you want forced air within a control box like this how is it done? Do you need to have some kind of liquid trap that stop liquid from splashing through vent holes?

Or can you have no venting with a box in a wet condition?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #29
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, if you can find a protected vent that is nema 4 rated then yes. Nema 4, in regards to water, means that it will resist intrusion from a 100gpm stream coming from a one inch nozzle (Fire hose). Nema 3 will protect the enclosure from falling water and dirt, rain basically. You need something between the two.

To maintain a the 4 rating we usually use a small HVAC system, not practical for our use. Maybe an externally mounted peltier/heatsink and fan may work with some creative shielding. It will certainly limit your exposure to the large AC service.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts

Check, not interested haha.

That is some serious overkill IMO for what I am doing. For those interested in going all out and with a ton of cash. NEMA 4x coolers can be found on eBay for about $300 shipped.

I'll jest keep risking my life with a piece of foam over vent holes I guess

Quick Reply