Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Weldless brew stand.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #611
beertroll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You guys are great. Following this thread, I was able to build one of these stands for myself, and I just brewed my first batch on it yesterday. I love it; it's such a huge improvement over my old single burner, single kettle setup. No more balancing my cooler mash tun on top of a trash bin. The burners are higher BTU and have better shielding than my old burner, so everything heats up much faster and I don't lose boil when the wind picks up.

Here's a pic I snapped during the zinc burn-off. I haven't hit it with any grill paint yet, but I intend to before any rust has a chance to set in.

brewstand.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #612
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaMooHudda View Post
Mxpx - where did get those burner grates? I want....
A friend cut them for me at his work.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #613
fermentinginpa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertroll View Post
You guys are great. Following this thread, I was able to build one of these stands for myself, and I just brewed my first batch on it yesterday. I love it; it's such a huge improvement over my old single burner, single kettle setup. No more balancing my cooler mash tun on top of a trash bin. The burners are higher BTU and have better shielding than my old burner, so everything heats up much faster and I don't lose boil when the wind picks up.

Here's a pic I snapped during the zinc burn-off. I haven't hit it with any grill paint yet, but I intend to before any rust has a chance to set in.

Looks awesome! I have been going back and forth on what I want in a brew stand for awhile now and finally decided I am building one of these in the Spring.

On Tap/Bottled
Berliner Weisse

Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #614
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Has anyone used SS round bar to support their brew kettles?
This would eliminate the need for a zinc burn-off and would prevent rust on the surfaces in contact with the flame.
Thinking of getting some 1/2" x 2' and using SS u-bolts to hold it to the frame. Could probably go with a smaller size to save some money.
I am in the planing stage of my wield less brew stand; any feedback would help. Thanks

R412:
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...&aident=#p1561

Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #615
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post
Has anyone used SS round bar to support their brew kettles?
This would eliminate the need for a zinc burn-off and would prevent rust on the surfaces in contact with the flame.
Thinking of getting some 1/2" x 2' and using SS u-bolts to hold it to the frame. Could probably go with a smaller size to save some money.
I am in the planing stage of my wield less brew stand; any feedback would help. Thanks

R412:
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...&aident=#p1561
I looked extensively at using round bar or pipe for a brew stand. Round bar is overkill as far as structural needs go but it will work if its cost effective for you. Round pipe would work, I would recommend Sch 40 or 80. Round tubing can be used I suppose but why risk it...you are talking about potentially supporting 300 lbs of boiling liquid...you dont want that to collapse on you.

The trick is assembling it. There are MYRIAD pipe fittings what can be used. But, and here is the rub, they are either made of aluminum which is NOT structurally sound at the temps this thing will reach, or galvanized or iron...which why bother using SS bar if the fittings are going to burn zinc/rust.

I really wanted to make it work as I have a good resource for Sch 40 SS pipe on the cheap but the fittings made it untenable.

But if you can find a solution that I overlooked it would be a really unique, awesome stand.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #616
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default weldless brewstand

Anyone in Northern VA area build one of these? I would like to attempt, but I am all thumbs when it comes to construction.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #617
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
I looked extensively at using round bar or pipe for a brew stand. Round bar is overkill as far as structural needs go but it will work if its cost effective for you. Round pipe would work, I would recommend Sch 40 or 80. Round tubing can be used I suppose but why risk it...you are talking about potentially supporting 300 lbs of boiling liquid...you dont want that to collapse on you.

The trick is assembling it. There are MYRIAD pipe fittings what can be used. But, t and here is the rub, they are either made of aluminum which is NOT structurally sound at the temps this thing will reach, or galvanized or iron...which why bother using SS bar if the fittings are going to burn zinc/rust.

I really wanted to make it work as I have a good resource for Sch 40 SS pipe on the cheap but the fittings made it untenable.

But if you can find a solution that I overlooked it would be a really unique, awesome stand.
My proposal is to build it as described on the first few pages; but lay the round bar across the strut above the burner to support the vessels instead of using the galvanized angle. This is where the majority of the heat will be concentrated.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #618
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

How would you attach them?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #619
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
How would you attach them?
SS U-bolts.

Again; I am just brainstorming right now. Don't really need a new stand but these pictures really make me want one.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #620
SuckaMooHudda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post

SS U-bolts.

Again; I am just brainstorming right now. Don't really need a new stand but these pictures really make me want one.
Well, i did need a stand ....and here it is. Thanks to this thread i was able to convince myself to build one. So thanks everyone!!!

Attachment 105489

forumrunner_20130304_230744.png
forumrunner_20130304_230835.png   forumrunner_20130304_230911.png  

Quick Reply