Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Welding 101 = Fun Brutus Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
SouthernYankee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Welding 101 = Fun Brutus Build

There are many things that I've always wanted to try or at least get a sense of how they work. One of them has always been to weld something..anything.

Mind you I have know knowledge on how to weld as Ive never ever done this before. However, I have completed many projects that some folks would find difficult.
With this being said. I set out wanting to build a single tier brew stand for a AG set-up.

Looking at a lot of great stands on this site has inspired myself to take the plunge into building one. I did a Little research into the welding aspect by watching youtube.. (LOL) and reading a lot about the various forms of welding and the tools of the trade.
I started out thinking that ARC welding was for me. Yes, I know..some folks say ARC welding is the hardest to start out with. But I'm stubborn and wanted to try it. I bought a Clarke 110v ARC welder off of eBay for $65.00. It is new...Well needless to say that didn't last very long before I realized ARC welding wasn't going to cut it for my needs. Some people would have know problem with it I'm sure. But for me..it didn't workout.

My next stop was to NorthenTool. There I bought a Flux Core welder on sale. This welder doesn't have the shielding gas setup..you can just use the wire, not the gas. Which is fine for my build.
Boy, I love this thing a lot..works great!

So I started out buy buying the 1.5 X 1.5 16ga sq. tubing from a guy off of ebay. He didn't have my size in the length I needed so I emailed him. Which he said he could cut to 60" lengths.. I ordered 10, 60" pieces. Total cost to include shipping $94.00
The next thing I needed to do was sketch out some type of stand on paper. I looked around and got a lot of dimensions and then found the one I liked and drew it out.

Now the cutting of the tubing. I have a 10" table saw I used to cut the tubes. I removed the wood cutting wheel and replaced it with a 10" metal cutting one. I'm not sure if your suppose to do this or not, but in any case It worked out in cutting the tube.
Now the fun part...................................

Having to make everything square and line everything up is a PITA... But once its lined up and welded together its most rewarding knowing that you just have completed your first weld.

So right now I'm still in the process of welding it..Most of the frame is welded with only a few more pieces left to do. Also most of the welds have been ground down to clean them up. These photos are current.

So with all this being said...I'm really enjoying building the stand. And for those whom don't think they can weld or even build one..your wrong. Its fun and easy once you put your mind up to the task.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
whalenutz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

shoot any one can weld, it is fun and easy just watch for the half moon, no half moon no good weld but the trick is no warp-age. anyway i like what i see, and by the way your mash tun will melt if you use it for direct fire on your burner, haha just kidding!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalenutz View Post
shoot any one can weld, it is fun and easy just watch for the half moon, no half moon no good weld but the trick is no warp-age. anyway i like what i see, and by the way your mash tun will melt if you use it for direct fire on your burner, ha ha just kidding!
HAHA..I see what you mean about the cooler sitting on an old Turkey fryer. Thats just an extra 5 gal. I bought and have it sitting on there. I use a 10 gal cooler for the Mash tun, which isn't in the photo.
LOL..you pointed this out and I had to laugh.
Yeah, the half moon...ARC wasn't my forte.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
onelegout
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Looks great! I'm in the same boat as you, in that I've always wanted to learn to weld but never had a real reason to learn. Now I'm also about to build a single tier brewstand, so time to pop out and buy a welder methinks!

Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde 4% APA
Kegerator: Henry's Haus Pale Ale 4.5% PA
Bottled: 'Wooly Jumper' 5.08%ABV Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: 'Weissbeater' 5.2%ABV Weiss
Bottled: 'Maypole' 4.5%ABV Dark Ale

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
RonRock
Always Ready
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks good. You have learned a skill that you will use more often than you think. It's way better to make your own than buy someone's idea of what you want. And usually cheaper too. Unless you count the tool collection that will never be complete.

Arc Welding may be a bit more effort to learn than Wire Feed but keep after it and it will come to you. It has it's place. You can probably weld thicker metal with ARC than the Wire Feed you have.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Blane
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Good for you for mastering the dark art of fusing metal with electricity and heat without injury to yourself or distruction of property.

I am real close to starting my own e-brutus build. I took an evening welding class at the community college last spring and learned stick and MIG. I had one day of TIG when my wife had an unscheduled dismount off a horse and shattered her femur. Now she's sporting some pretty impressive titanium hardware. I had to quit the class to take care of her. Once other things settle down in my life with work and such I'm going back this spring to pick up where I left off.

I did buy a Lincoln 180c MIG in the interim that I'm just itching to use.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Cyan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm glad to see someone in the same boat as me! I also have a flux core welder. However, I haven't done anything more than taking it out of the box, and lately I've been obsessing about using it soon to do my brutus brewstand. Your post was encouraging for me to trust my welder and to learn how to weld. I look forward to completing my first weld, as well. I will post the pics on here when I do. If you would please post closeup pics of welds.

Thanks for starting a good thread!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelegout View Post
Looks great! I'm in the same boat as you, in that I've always wanted to learn to weld but never had a real reason to learn. Now I'm also about to build a single tier brewstand, so time to pop out and buy a welder methinks!
Just make sure you buy the one you want from the get go. I'm on a limited budget and should of bought the Flux core from the start. But oh well..like I said. I wanted to try my hand at ARC welding and never have to wonder If I made the right choice at it or not.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

how much was the welder on sale? I'd love a welder. I'm assuming 240V?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Thanks guys for your comments.
RonRock, you are right about finding other things to weld. My lawn mower needs some welding to be done.

Blane, sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she is feeling better? Also that Lincoln welder is a nice choice.

Durden, Here are some closeup photos for you friend. Its not that hard at all. Just make some half moon circles or zig zags...which produce a better weld then just running the bead straight.

Quick Reply