Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Vorlauf Arm? Newb looking to upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Oh don't you worry, I've already started adding things to my shopping cart! You'll be shipping about $150 worth of weldless fittings and sightglasses out to me by the end of the week!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Try the pliers and dremel to adjust for every batch.
Bobby, is your kit the same thing as McMaster #10095K12?

Looks the same to me.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1108 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's the same manufacturer (loc-line). My kit isn't an off the shelf assembly for them though because it includes 4 extra segments and the 90 degree elbow. You could just as easily buy the 1' hose, male adapter and elbow if you wanted to duplicate what I have.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ah, OK. So it's a couple inches longer. I'm doing a cooler installation so I wouldn't need the elbow. The McMaster kit includes the threaded adapter in there. I think you need to talk to Loc-Line about getting a better price All black would be nice though. I'll have to measure and see if I need the couple extra inches.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Works awesome!

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1108 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I only buy 200 feet of tubing at a time vs. Mcmaster's skid. When I'm looking for a partner that can help me reevaluate all my prices, I know where to find you ;-)

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Just for the record, I drilled my MLT last night and installed the sparge arm from BrewHardware.com. It's freakin' easy to use, and works fantastically well. it's 1/2" ID, not OD, so the flow rate is insane. Not like you'll ever need to sparge at 9gpm, but you can if you want! If you're seriously complaining about a product like this that's only $25, but includes a weldless fitting AND a stainless steel Camlock, then you seriously need to remove the vice clamps from your wallet and suck it up. It's just about the best deal in all of homebrewing.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
rekoob
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think I am confused.
Does anyone Vorlauf through the sparge arm? or are we talking about recirculation through a sparge arm? and then change hoses around for actual fly sparging?
I don't use a sparge arm at the moment, after I made my stand and went to three keggles I recirculate the MT with the flow rate throttled back, when I stir it I always get grain through the pump and it clears as the grain bed settles a little. Prior to batch sparging I give it a good stir, wait for the flow to clear of all grain (vorlauf) and then move hose to BK.
When I did fly sparge I still didn't use a sparge arm from the HLT and when I vorlauf the MT I just did it into a container and poured it back into the MT slowly to not disturb the grain bed. All that was prior to fly sparging.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
Beeskneesbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If one of these Is installed in a Bk can it be used to whirl pool?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoob View Post
I think I am confused.
Does anyone Vorlauf through the sparge arm? or are we talking about recirculation through a sparge arm? and then change hoses around for actual fly sparging?
I don't use a sparge arm at the moment, after I made my stand and went to three keggles I recirculate the MT with the flow rate throttled back, when I stir it I always get grain through the pump and it clears as the grain bed settles a little. Prior to batch sparging I give it a good stir, wait for the flow to clear of all grain (vorlauf) and then move hose to BK.
When I did fly sparge I still didn't use a sparge arm from the HLT and when I vorlauf the MT I just did it into a container and poured it back into the MT slowly to not disturb the grain bed. All that was prior to fly sparging.
I fly sparge and your description is basically what I do as well... I don't understand why you would have an arm just for vorlauf...

I start draining my MT into a pitcher and pour it back in using a big slotted spoon like I would with a black and tan... Once it runs clear, I start the sparge on my ultra-simple sparge arm (length of copper pipe with holes unit) at the same rate as I'm draining it into the BK.

On Tap (Nitro): Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap 1: Gold Dust Pale.On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: O'Rally Red
In Secondary: Moonless Midnight RIS
In Primary: Chocolate Palomino, Nightshade Dark Cascadian
Next up:

Quick Reply