Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Turkey fryer burner timer/interlock mod

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Turkey fryer burner timer/interlock mod

DISCLAIMER: Propane is dangerous. I am not a certified anything. Be careful and use your head, dammit.

I have one of those turkey fryer setups with the timer that shuts the gas off every 20 minutes. That got tiresome, so I removed the timer.

It also has a safety interlock for the gas - you have to push a button to get the gas started, then hold it until a sensor heats up. This will shut the gas off if the flame goes out.

Then when I used my new 15 gallon pot, it was too wide and reflected too much heat back onto the control box, causing erratic behavior. The interlock would shut the gas off randomly for no good reason.

I decided to see if I could bypass all that by directly threading the regulator hose into the burner body. No such luck - the body is 1/8" NPT and the regulator hose is straight thread sealed with a copper washer. So I decided before buying a new burner, I'd see if I could defeat the interlock.

When I pulled the black box apart, I saw the fitting in the following picture.

The aluminum cap on the left side of the photo was straight up and the button was straight down. It's skewed in the picture because I tightened up the threads in the body of the burner and this is where it ended up.

There was a brass tube and fitting going into the top of the aluminum cap. I removed that, then removed the aluminum cap. Inside is a cartridge with a spring and rubber washer at the bottom. It's this rubber washer that seals the gas off. I popped the rubber washer off and the spring and metal washer behind it came with it.

Then I just put the cartridge back in and threaded the aluminum cap back on. There's no need to put the brass fitting back in the top of the aluminum cap because the cap seals on the cartridge inside.

Now the burner works like a normal burner. Turn on the regulator, you get gas at the burner. Yay!

-Joe

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Araxi
Recipes 

I have the same on mine cept it's 10 minutes..i hate it. I'm gonna do the same thing.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
wheatstraw
Recipes 

Default Thank you!!!

Joe - Thank you so much for this guide. I found a cheap fryer on clearance this weekend and bought it. The 20 minute timer was so incredibly annoying. This was exactly what I was looking for! The hardest part was just getting that aluminum cap off. Once it was off doing this mod was easy.

Thanks again!
-wheatstraw

Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
Proletariat
Recipes 

I just did this modification. How is it working for you guys so far?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Still using it. Probably 2 dozen brew days on it so far.

-joe

Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
wheatstraw
Recipes 

No problems at all after approx 6 brew sessions. Very happy with the mod!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
XanderBrew
Recipes 

Awesome!
Thanks! That timer was killing me, I tried disabling the timer but then I couldn't get the gas to stay on.

Followed your directions and now it is working like a champ!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Proletariat
Recipes 

I've brewed twice since making the modification and everything is running smoothly. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
renevdb
Recipes 

Duct tape, opened the timer and put some duct tape inside to have the mechanism eat the tape and block the timer. I can still switch of the burner by turning the knob and if it blows out the gas gets shut off in about 20 seconds.

Primary: Strong Belgium Blonde

Bottle: Abdij II, Wit, Cool Vienna, Dad's Dubbel

Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
nostalgia
Recipes 

Glad it's working out for you guys.

-Joe