Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Tips for a propane manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
lgoolsby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Tips for a propane manifold

I am building a single tier system similar to JonW's and have a question about my gas lines. I am thinking about using one inch black pipe for the main manifold and then half inch for the lines to the burners. Is one inch too large? Also, do I need to worry about purging the line after a brew since there will presumably be a fair amount of propane left in the pipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You are over thinking it (IMHO). I used 3/8 for everything, and it works great (mine uses 2 turkey fryer burners and a 10 psi reg).

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Fermenter #1 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgoolsby
I am building a single tier system similar to JonW's and have a question about my gas lines. I am thinking about using one inch black pipe for the main manifold and then half inch for the lines to the burners. Is one inch too large? Also, do I need to worry about purging the line after a brew since there will presumably be a fair amount of propane left in the pipe?
I used 1/2" I think, cause I couldn't find 3/8, then ran a reducing bushing to connect the hose to. After I shut off the propane but before I disconnect the tank, I open the ball valves to dump the little bit left in there, no explosions yet.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
ColeBeer78
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I used 1/2" then branched off to each burner with 1/4". It works fantastic.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts

Simple answer is ½” black pipe should be sufficient.

Long answer depends on a lot of variables that cannot be answered without knowing your specifics. Burner size, location of regulator, high pressure or low pressure, distance between regulator and burner, etc. The higher the pressure the smaller the pipe required.

My system has two BG14 low pressure propane burners and my manifold is ½” pipe. I use 5/8” stainless flexible whips that connect the burners to the manifold. My 11”WC regulator is located roughly 5’ from burners. It’s better to oversize than undersize.

There are charts online that will help you calculate your pipe size based on pressure, distance and required BTU’s.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
lgoolsby
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
Simple answer is ½” black pipe should be sufficient.

Long answer depends on a lot of variables that cannot be answered without knowing your specifics. Burner size, location of regulator, high pressure or low pressure, distance between regulator and burner, etc. The higher the pressure the smaller the pipe required.

My system has two BG14 low pressure propane burners and my manifold is ½” pipe. I use 5/8” stainless flexible whips that connect the burners to the manifold. My 11”WC regulator is located roughly 5’ from burners. It’s better to oversize than undersize.

There are charts online that will help you calculate your pipe size based on pressure, distance and required BTU’s.
I will be running three 23-tip jet propane burners producing around 190k btu's. I was planning on having the burners ~5 inches from the bottom of the kettles. The total length of the manifold would be around six feet and I have a regulator reducing the propane from tank pressure to low pressure.

If someone could point me to the online tools I would appreciate it.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1/2" is more than adequate and 3/8" is likely fine as well. All you'll do with 1" is waste a lot of gas. If I had to do it over again I would have tried to find 3/8" or even 1/4" and I run three burner simultaneously with pilots. 1/2" takes time to bleed air.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts

Here are a few charts.

How many burners? Size your pipe based on your combined max BTU's. 3/8" will be too small if you are running more than one burner at 190K BTU's. Also keep in mind that your regulator has to be rated for the max BTU’s as well. ½” black pipe is easy to find and inexpensive. Will it work on undersized pipe...sure but you will not get the max BTU's and with jet burners it is important to keep pressure consistent to avoid a situation where you have incomplete combustion and produce excessive amounts of carbon monoxide. Blue flame good, yellow flame bad.

As far as wasting gas I’m pretty sure that’s not a major concern based on your choice of 190K BTU burners. To avoid excess fuel left behind in the manifold turn off the gas at the tank while the burner is still lit and burn off the gas left in the pipe. I have shut off valves before regulator and at each burner.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Using 1/2" line at the stand with good needle valves gets you plenty of heat/flame.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Quick Reply