Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > STC-1000+ PI (the mash control firmware)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Default STC-1000+ PI (the mash control firmware)

Hi!

I thought I'd give a short recap for new viewers.
As most of us know, the STC-1000 is a cheap but very useful dual stage thermostat. The aim of the STC-1000+ project is to implement a firmware better suited for fermentation control and the means to update the controller firmware in a cheap and easy manner.
I may be biased, but I think those goals have been met and then some. If you are able to do some light soldering, you can build a programmer and flash your controller for as little as $5 and the process should not take more than an hour.

Early on in the process, I had an idea to also build a firmware with a PID regulation algorithm, that would be more suitable for mash control. I eventually settled on a PI regulation scheme instead (as the derivative action is more trouble than benefit in this application). Unfortunately, limited time to spare (and with the STC-1000+ project using up most of it) and technical difficulties has delayed this firmware. But now, the STC-1000+ firmware is reaching a point where I think it is pretty decent and I have also solved some issues, so I think it is time get this project rolling.

The project page; https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000pi

(note: at this point there is not much there, as no 'official' release is out yet, but the current state of work can be found in the work branch)

Cheers!

Eagleburger Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

placeholder

Old 08-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

placeholder2

Old 08-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

placeholder3

Old 08-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'd thought I'd start of by linking in this thread on how to modify the STC-1000 for SSR control.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Next order of business, currently the firmware bears an awful lot of resemblance to the STC-1000+ firmware. 6 profiles, but with minute timebase (instead of hours). Ramping is removed as it serves no purpose really (and the code space is needed).
Now, what are you looking for in a mash controller?
I'm thinking using cooling relay to control pump (i.e. always on when controller is active). I'm also wondering about the profiles, are 6 really needed? Right now, EEPROM is full, so no other settings can be added.
Anything else?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Bonanza
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Firmware

Thanks for the new thread

The pump would be great to have an on/off for x time option to work on malttube BIAB machines.

For example 3 min on and 1 min off but user definated

Another observation, only firmware 1.0 allows flashing if I'm well informed, some are coming with newer FW.

Do we know who manufacture these little giants to ask them to keep producing the 1.0 FW version?

On the profiles, 4 should be enough. Protein rest, Maltose rest, Sugar rest 1 and 2.

A great weekend all

Reason: add on rests

Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
alphaomega
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ok, noted. I prefer duty, and period time settings over on time/off time, but I get what you're after.
It is not the firmware, but the different hardware that is the issue. And there is nothing indicating that the incompatible ones are newer. It seems it is simply a matter of who manufactures the unit.
Each profile has 10 setpoints (for different rests) so 6 profiles, means 6 mash schedules can be stored. The question is if 5 mash schedules is enough and if other settings would of more value than the 6th profile.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
sb68
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You're one smart cookie alphaomega. Thanks for all you are doing for the brewing community. Wish i could offer some suggestions but have no experience with automated brewing but I do want to start collecting hardware to do it some day.

On a side note, I ordered a stc tbat arrived yesterday and it was the 1.0 version. Got it on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00862G3TQ/...528360_TE_dp_2

Old 08-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
ogunshay
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Now, what are you looking for in a mash controller?
I'm thinking using cooling relay to control pump (i.e. always on when controller is active). I'm also wondering about the profiles, are 6 really needed?
I like the cooling relay for controlling a pump - I'd been wondering about that since you first mentioned this project. Consider this a hearty endorsement!

In terms of profiles, I'd say that you can definitely drop down to 5 - I don't think one extra will make or break the system, but it will give you the space to incorporate other things.

One thing to add in would actually be going back to pumps - have a submenu menu for pump control - always on, on per duty cycle, on whenever heating, on whenever heating plus per duty cycle when not heating. A further idea would be to turn the pump on 10 seconds before heating starts, to make sure it's flowing freely when the element kicks in.

Quick Reply