Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Stainless vs Aluminum vs Polypropylene Cam and Groove Couplings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #31
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am ready to pull the trigger on alum cam's and would like to know if anyone has had any issues over the past year with them?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been brewing with the aluminum cam locks for the past 14 months, a total of 28 brew sessions. No issues with them, they even look like the original aluminum color. I agree, they do cool down pretty fast. There are no signs of abuse or any dings.
Hope this helps.

Tom

Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by millstone View Post
I've been brewing with the aluminum cam locks for the past 14 months, a total of 28 brew sessions. No issues with them, they even look like the original aluminum color. I agree, they do cool down pretty fast. There are no signs of abuse or any dings.
Hope this helps.

Tom
Helps alot, I was going to order them anyways but I just like to have a little anecdotal evidence. Total came to 56 bucks including shipping for my rig (Males on all vessel ports, pump in/out, and water filter; females on ends of hoses-3 hoses total; and also bought a few dust caps/plugs for good measure).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone know if these are interchangeable? I'm thinking of going all stainless for the male and female but thought I'd save a few bucks by getting the aluminum or polypropylene dust caps/plugs.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #35
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The poly ones are 3/4" size so you would need 3/4" alum. which would mean you would need 3/4" threaded fittings and have to be able to stretch your tubing over 3/4" barbs. I love my poly ones and have had no issues or damage since I got them. I can use one size cam lock for my 1/2" or 3/4" connections too. 1/8" wall silicone stretches over the 3/4 barbs and gives you a larger flow diameter through the barb too.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Reviving a really old thread here, but for those that use polypropylene cam locks, did yours have an off-smell when you got them? And if so, how did you get them to smell home brew fresh?!

I got a hell of a deal on new PP cam locks, but they smell pretty bad. I was going to soak them in soap and water, then hot PBW if that didn't work. Any other tips I might be able to use?

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #37
punkiwishiwere
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Have any of you aluminum guys noticed damage to or have any leaking trouble with the threads of the camlocks? If not, did you just wrap liberally with tape and never remove them from your ball valves?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
ImperialLover
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiwishiwere
Have any of you aluminum guys noticed damage to or have any leaking trouble with the threads of the camlocks? If not, did you just wrap liberally with tape and never remove them from your ball valves?

Thanks
No issues here. The only problem with threads I have had was when I initially soldered them (couplings to the pots). I had some carbon build up from my propane torch. It's a pain in the ass to get off but when I did get it off, free and clear. Thrown on some teflon tape and drive on.

i never take the cam locks off, though. I recirc. My hot cleaning solution through the pots, lines, and chiller while they're still in place.

Keg 1- Air
Keg 2- Air
Primary 1- Rainy Day Red
Primary 2- Air
Secondary 1- Air
Secondary 2- Air
On Deck- H&D On the Brown Low
In The Hole- Water into Barleywine!
Near Future-

Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #39
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialLover View Post
So far I'm tracking the following:

Aluminum: Finish won't handle certain cleaners but is cheaper than stainless.

Polypropylene: Not an option b/c it's not food safe.

Stainless: Not affected by cleaners, looks better than aluminum, costs 3x as much as aluminum but will increase the resale of the brew rig if hell freezes over and I decide to sell it.

Conclusions: If I'm worried about the looks of the brew rig, (i.e. polishing the kegs, painting the stand, not having multi-material ball valves/disconnects/elbows) then stainless is the best option.

If I'm trying to build a bare-bones (aesthetically) rig, then aluminum is the way to go.

Thanks for everybody's time and interest in the thread. I'll let you know what I decide.

I purchased my initial QD's from PFS I decide on SS Since I had SS ball valves & like the durability and non- reactivity. When I needed more I checked out Bargain a Fittings. Better prices & a fixed shipping charge. PFD really sticks you on shipping.
I've been using for a year plus and the fit & quality are great.
M

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #40
DoWBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't see anyone advocating for the Polysulfone QDs. I think they are a great option. I have them for all of my valves. They work very well and are not hot during brewing. For homebrewing, I think they are a great option.

Quick Reply