Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

I started work on my new brew rig. It's going to be a single tier, 3 pump, automated system constructed of stainless 2 inch square tubing. I'll be using 3 15 gallon Boilermakers. The MLT will be direct fired, and will run a constant recirculation. The BK will have a whirlpool return built in. I plan to add a convoluted copper CFC for chilling. Automation will come from a BCS-462 system; intermittent pilot furnace valves for the gas side, and motorized ball valves on the liquid side (inspired by JonW's build). Heat will be provided by three banjo burners, and I'll be using black pipe for gas, not a "gas bar". I plan to use BobbyM's stainless polishing method to bring the whole thing to a mirror finish after it's complete.

This is a work in progress and I expect to be chipping away at it over the next several weeks to months, as time and budget allows. I have a wooden stand that I've been using for awhile that works great, so I am going to alternate weekends between brewing and building the new stand so there is no rush to get it done.

Many thanks to all the guys on here who have so generously answered questions about welding and metal-working, and to those who's build threads have inspired this whole project.

Lets get started.

Here's the design concept. I'm not good enough with sketch up to put in all the gas plumbing and liquid plumbing. This was just to help me visualize the frame before cutting any metal.

I ordered my steel from a local supplier who had a great price on 11 gauge, 2" square stainless. I had to buy 60ft, as they only sold it in 20ft sticks. I figure I will use the leftover to make a cool stainless stand for my mill or something.

Here's everything except the small 45 degree pieces cut:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

I bought a Hobart Handler 140 MIG welder, and decided that this was as good a time as any to learn to use it. I spent a good bit of time on this forum and on some other welding forums reading up and asking questions. If you're thinking about learning to weld, do it. I'm sure it's a skill that takes many years of experience to master (as evidenced by some of the awesome pro welders on this forum), but after a few days of practice I was running a bead that was good enough to hold my stand together.

Here is the top frame with the leg's tacked on:

A couple of obligatory action shots:

And here is where I finished up for the day:

I still need to cut the small pieces that will hold the kettles (shown in the 3d mockup) and get those welded in place. Thats the plan for tomorrow.

After that I am going to start working on burner and pump mounts, hopefully I can have the stand functional without any automation in a week or two.

More photos and updates to come as I progress.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Awesome! Looks great so far!

Is that going to be natural gas?

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
2NobleDogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks Great!I like the 45 degree welds at the corners. Most of what I have seen on the Brutus clones have been butt welds. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming. well done!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
Elisha8685
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome! My friend and I are doing the same sort of thing right now to cut costs, Good luck with everything!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Awesome! Looks great so far!

Is that going to be natural gas?
Thank you. I'm going to be running low pressure propane so I can utilize Honeywell furnace valves in the automation process. I dont have a NG hookup in my garage where I brew and I want to be sure if I move to a house without NG I can always use my rig!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

I had the day off today and made some progress on the build. I got all of the kettle supports cut and welded into place, and cleaned up all the welds on the top and outsides of the stand. The frame is essentially finished with the exception of burner and pump mounts, and the lower shelf. I am waiting for my metal order, once those pieces come in I will get them attached and start working on propane plumbing, and finish polishing.

Here's me cleaning up the edges on my supports:

All the supports cut, cleaned, and ready to go:

Tacked into place:

Test fitting a kettle:

Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Here's where I'm at. Everything welded up, welds ground down and ready for polishing.

Close up:

Hopefully my order will be here soon and I can continue construction. I am anxious to see how the stainless polishing method works on this, hopefully it will come out looking like it's chrome plated.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #9
sdavis1001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

STM,
Nice Build, how are you planning on attaching the BG-14's? I am about the same place you are now. I still have not decided how to attach the banjo's yet. Are you using the back runner as the LP manifold?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just curious of what kind of mig wire you used to weld the stand together, was it 308? also what gas? Was is 98%argon 2% co2? Looks like it may have been 100% argon from the blackening around the welds. For the polishing, how do you plan on polishing it? Your going to have to sand the entire stand to get out all of the mill marks on the tubes, its a pain in the butt to polish stainless, your also going to need a high power high speed drill with LOTS of black emery rouge and a large sisal wheel, a regular drill wont have enough power or speed to do it, nor will a right angle grinder unless you put a tiny wheel on it.

Quick Reply