Single vessel electric BIAB system - Braumeister clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysobry

Reaction score
Hi

I’m an Italian homebrewer and I have started some months ago a project in order to build a single vessel electric heated brewing system ..something similar to the well known Speidel Braumeister . The main driver behind this project was to build an “all in one” system very compact, light, easy to use, easy to clean system that implements the BIAB process and brewing philosophy

Now I’m completing last construction details and I’m near to close the “make” phase and start testing the system. In order to understand all the fundamentals of BIAB brewing I have registered the forum and started reading the posts. Lot of useful information and ideas … and viceversa I would like to share my project details open to any comments and suggestions

Let’s start from some construction details and schema !

Here is some printout of Google sketchUP 3D CAD and a 2D drawings

Single%2520Vessel1.jpg

single%2520vessel%2520quote.jpg

I will use for the external vessel a stainless steel thermo pot with external diameter 40cm and internal 35cm…the suitable eight is 40cm…so I have a total volume of 38L. The use of a thermo insulated pot should help boiling and mashing with lower power.

Inside the external vessel there is the “malt pipe” . I have used a light stainless steal stove pipe . The diameter is 25cm in order to have enough space for heating element, pump inlet/outlet and so on. Few centimetre from the bottom I have inserted a polyethylene false bottom cut form a cheese mold. The polyethylene is food grade and can resist to hot temperature, moreover it’s easier to cut and shape than stainless steal. The bottom of cheese mold has the right size hole and they are a little bit conical.

Single%2520Vessel.jpg

In order to fix the filter to the pipe I take the advantage that the pipe is conical and one side has a slightly higher diameter. Everything is sealed by food grade silicone
Considering empty space on the bottom and 1-2 CM of difference on the top the malt pipe I have a total volume of 18-19 L ( 25 cm radius x 40 cm height)

Single%2520Vessel3.jpg

The heating is provided by a general purpose bend to shape heating element…the total power is 2,5Kw and the length it’s perfect in order to create 2 coils inside the external vessel. I have also bought a gland kit in order to fix and insulate the terminal

Single%2520Vessel6.jpg

At the end there is the circulating pump…I think is a well known component for the recirculation…Laing Ecocric E1 with ½’’ inlet/outlet. It has been fixed on the bottom of the external vessel

Single%2520Vessel7.jpg

Pump and heating element are controlled by a panel where I have inserted a PID controller and SSR relay and all the switches and cables

Single%2520Vessel10.jpg

I have added 4 legs to support the external vessel…some industrial surplus with fine regulation of the height…I have modified in order to join to the bottom of the vessel and the complete set up is very compact and light.

P1080122.JPG

The pipe must be pressed to the bottom in order to seal it. This is one of the most critical point…I have tested different sealing solution but with poor results…I have tried with designed silcon U channel extruded but with poor result

Single%2520Vessel11.jpg

I have played a little bit around the sealing issue…one point I would like to improve was the system on the top of the malt pipe that press down on it in order to guarantee sealing
I have build a little aluminium cross that has 3 anchorages on the external vessel (the one used for the original cover)

Braumeister.jpg

In this way I can easily lock the malt pipe and with the external lever amd proper spring I can apply a good pressure on the malt pipe…
Moreover I have a short threaded pipe in the middle of the cross where I can screw in the top filter. Easy solution to apply and remove at the end of the mash phase.

You can see the result with pure water in this video

http://youtu.be/HDFqfHjE7-c

At the end I have changed the approach: I have bought a plug for the stove pipe hand I have implemented a 15cm hole where I have applied a soft and thick silicon O-ring.
The plug could easily inserted and removed from the stove pipe and the contact surface is much higher and guarantee and optimal sealing.
In this way I have a light and modular solution and the hole dimension allow me to drain the wort more easily than a pot with just a small connector.

Single%2520Vessel.jpg

The video below show you the assembling and you can see that the flow rate of the pump eliminating the leakage is quite good

[ame]http://youtu.be/QjXofrOrU5c[/ame]

Finally I have built the top filter with again with a cheese mold bottom and fine grid. The filter is anchored to the top cross and can be easily inserted and removed.

Single%2520Vessel13.jpg

I have done a final test with 4kg of crushed malt grain …just to see if the pump , the filter, the sealing, the heating element is ok in running condition…and everything seems work well as you can see in this last video !

[ame]http://youtu.be/S6Toru4CIJQ[/ame]

P1080540.JPG

Hope you like my assembly and I will update as soon I start testing BIAB brewing :mug:

enjoy
Davide

That thing is sweet! For some reason I thought you were using a Brewtroller to control it? Did you play around with making your own gasket with liquid silicone?

wow that is quite a setup! I am thinking to switching over to BIAB electric, but I was just going to get a bag and make another keggle (top rim completely cut/ground off but leaving handles) and just go with that.

The brewtroller is planned in a second phase…the idea is to come to a full automation process (pump, cooling..) like original braumeister..in this phase I have used a SESTOS PID controller + SSR to drive the heating element..the rest of the process is manually managed.

About the silicon gasket I have also experienced the self made sealing with silicon mouldable component.

Single%2520Vessel12.jpg

The result was but not so robust…after 2-3 batches the sealing started to damage…the edge of the pipe is too sharp and cut the gasket ..

The solution with the cup seems more stable and strong !
Davide

Ah the video makes it more clear. In previous posts on BT forum I don't think you had the conical cap. It seems like it would work much better.

BTW, is that you Ron Burgandy? :)

At the end I perform my first test

here the day storyboard

[ame="http://youtu.be/uQIQUxqv408"]http://youtu.be/uQIQUxqv408[/ame]

something to tune but everything seems ok..not so far from the BIAB theoretical calculation..:mug:

I will share some details of receipe and results next post

ciao
Davide

Very well done, may I ask how much was the overall cost for buildnig this.
I am a homebrewer from Slovenia, would like to make one.

Where did you obtain the plug for the stove pipe and what size are your batches? How much grain can you pipe accommodate? Where did you get the cheese mold filter? How did you build your PID to handle the amps for a boil?

Where did you obtain the plug for the stove pipe and what size are your batches? How much grain can you pipe accommodate? Where did you get the cheese mold filter? How did you build your PID to handle the amps for a boil?

lot of questions and I try to answer but please consider that I'm Itlian so regarding sourcing of component is not immediatlely applicable to you :)

The plug for the stove pipe can be bought where you buy the stove pipe..it's common component

My batch size depend on the final desired OG..it try always to use the maximum amount of crushed malt ..around 4,5 Kg ..and than I adjust the batch size according to the receipe OG. For an average 1.055 OG I runa a batch of 17-18 L

The chese mold was sourced in a local farm market

During the boil phase I don't use PID control but I switch to manual control...when the boil statrs i reduce the power to 70-80% in order to avoid overboiling

enjoy
Davide

Awesome build! Do you have any splashing as the wort overflows the mash pipe? I love the set up and the ease of use, I am just wondering if you have ever had issues with aerating the hot wort?

Awesome build! Do you have any splashing as the wort overflows the mash pipe? I love the set up and the ease of use, I am just wondering if you have ever had issues with aerating the hot wort?

Thank you so much:)
It’s a nice equipment that is compliant to initial spec…simple, light, compact and easy to use
I’m using it since one year and I’m quite happy with the result (for ordinary OG beer)
Abut the splashing I don’t think it’s an issue…in traditional mashing usually there is a mixer that stir and ion some way aerate worth continuously . In my set up more than splashing from the top of the malt pipe it flows slowly on the external wall.

I’m working to 2nd generation…with some improvements
-little bit bigger set up (50L pot and 35L malt pipe)
-cam lock sealing
-fully automated control (mash,boiling, hop) via Arduino controller (braudino project)

Stay tuned
Davide

Hello!

I'm very impressed with your BIAB Build. I myself am getting ready to start building a similar. Was going to control it like you with a PID. Since I have very little knowledge about electronics so I would like to ask you for a wiring diagram of your building, if you have the opportunity?

Hello!

I'm very impressed with your BIAB Build. I myself am getting ready to start building a similar. Was going to control it like you with a PID. Since I have very little knowledge about electronics so I would like to ask you for a wiring diagram of your building, if you have the opportunity?

Ok I will drow a basic diagram but the connection to sestos controller are very easy..just plug in the temperature sensor and connect the output to SSR. Than connect SSR to phase of heating element and that's all.

I'm working to 2nd generation of my clone slightly bigger, with full automation process via arduino microconteoller and malt pipe sealing via camlock

Stay tuned
Davide

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

To all people fond of this clone and BIAB techniques I have a great breaking news

Together with other Italian guys , starting from a well-known project called brauduino, we have developed a new brewing automation system based on arduino microcontroller.
Still opne source and named Open ArdBir and I can assure you that is a very nice piece of hardware and software with lot of functions and a very stable and debugged process automation and GUI

Compared to original project from Stephen Mathison and Mike Wilson this is the list of new features and enhacements by Massimo Nevi

A Facebook page for collecting feedback is open

Translation of the user manual In English is ongoing but I suggest to download the firmware from github and try !

• Added Buzzer Modulation (NumBeep, Period)
• Added Stage CountDown in Automatic Mode
• Added Stage Watch in Manual Mode
• Modified Max Number of Hops (10)
• Modified stage Wait in Active Pause (PID Controlo On)
• Modified H e P indicator for ON-OFF and Active-Disactive Modulation
• Added Some Control Parameter in Configuration Menu
• Added Temp Pump Stop in Manual Mode
• Dual Scale Temp (°C-°F)
• Reorganized EEPROM
• Reorganized Configuration
• Added Second Menu Configuration
o Set Scale Temp (°C-°F)
o Set Temp of Boil
o Set Set Time Pump Cycle and Time Rest
o Set Location of Temp Sensor
o Set Pump ON-OFF at Boil
o Set Temp Pump Stop
o Set Calibration Temp
• Reorganized Automation
o Removed Number of Stages Setting
o Fixed Name of Stages (7)
o Correct Mash In Stage
o Auto Mash Design
o Correct Time Reset of Pump
o Added Iodine Test (Active Pause)
• Stage Managing
o Load Stage Set
o Save Stage Set
o Delete Stage Set
o Initialize EEPROM
• LCD 16x2 wiew
• LCD 20x4 wiew
• Italian Language
• English Language

Translation of the user manual In English is ongoing but I suggest to download the firmware from github and try !

Hi mysobry - does this run on matho's board or is is designed for a custom board? (danial xan?)

Hi mysobry - does this run on matho's board or is is designed for a custom board? (danial xan?)

Let say that the software is developed starting from matho's core that is based on Arduino 1 platform so in principle you can use also the original board (you sholuld adapt on the software the HW definition)
The daniel xan board is a single side PCB very simple and clean with the same output (buzer, pump relè , SSR) and input (temperature probe and keyboard)

try this italian SW version is really amazing !

Davide

Hi
I’m actively working to my second generation of Braumesiter clone (single vessel brewing system) and compared to the first release I have

· Increased the volume usinga 50L thermo pot and a 35L malt pipe
· Moved definitely to camlock sealing (is main weakness in current set up)
· And off course introducing full process automation (currently I have just a PID Sestos thermo regulator) through the super Open ArdBir control system derived from Matho’s controller with lot of fix and new features

In order to have both a central threaded rod in order to fix easily the pipe and central camlock I have adopted this strategy: the rod pass through the camlock and is fixed to the bottom of Y (or tee) fitting. The 3/4 ‘’ bore and 8mm rod diameter ensure enough space for worth flow . In this way when you fix the pipe on the top you also tight the camlock. Removing the bottom fitting plug you can also remove the threaded rod

Following picture are self-explaining…what do you think about?

IMG_20140322_120257.jpg

IMG_20140322_172054.jpg

IMG_20140322_192859.jpg

IMG_20140322_192814.jpg

I would like also to introduce a different solution for the bottom filter: since I have just the camlook in the middle of the malt pipe as output channel and not the full surface I would like to use a sort of compact filter avoiding empty space between the false bottom and the pipe.

I have tried to build this filter starting from a strainer (other shape can be sued) that in some way I can fix at the bottom of the pipe with a central hole for the threaded rod

IMG_20140322_190722.jpg

Here some picture, do you see any drawbacks both during the worth recirculation and worth filtering at the end? Is there any risk to create preferred path and non-uniform recirculation or to have trouble during filtration?

IMG_20140322_192220.jpg

Thank you for support
Ciao
Davide

The clone 2.0 is proceeding well and all the mechanical and hydraulic part are almost completed

I have also performed a "wet run" and even if the set up tuning is not complete I'm quite satisfied and camlock is a great improvement in sealing. The threaded rod in the middle doesn't cause any issue. Even the filter with the strainer seems OK and reduce the pump flow turbulence without flow restriction. In my opinion could help spreading water without channaling

Next step is to set up the electronic part off course based on magi open ArdBir

http://makezine.com/2014/03/28/homebrewing-and-arduino-the-perfect-recipe/

Stay tuned

1396906986168.jpg

1396907005837.jpg

1396907026786.jpg

Almost completed the electronic part

Little bit squeezed but everything is in

Moreover new version of the firmware and manual is availabl

Open ArdBir latest versione (2.6.61k)
http://goo.gl/nAz2om

Open ArdBir English Manual (Ver 2.6.61k)
http://goo.gl/W3ZKKb

Next step live test!
Davide

1399841623589.jpg

1399841645376.jpg

Hi
I’m actively working to my second generation of Braumesiter clone (single vessel brewing system) and compared to the first release I have

· Increased the volume usinga 50L thermo pot and a 35L malt pipe
· Moved definitely to camlock sealing (is main weakness in current set up)
· And off course introducing full process automation (currently I have just a PID Sestos thermo regulator) through the super Open ArdBir control system derived from Matho’s controller with lot of fix and new features

In order to have both a central threaded rod in order to fix easily the pipe and central camlock I have adopted this strategy: the rod pass through the camlock and is fixed to the bottom of Y (or tee) fitting. The 3/4 ‘’ bore and 8mm rod diameter ensure enough space for worth flow . In this way when you fix the pipe on the top you also tight the camlock. Removing the bottom fitting plug you can also remove the threaded rod

Following picture are self-explaining…what do you think about?

IMG_20140322_120257.jpg

IMG_20140322_172054.jpg

IMG_20140322_192859.jpg

IMG_20140322_192814.jpg

I would like also to introduce a different solution for the bottom filter: since I have just the camlook in the middle of the malt pipe as output channel and not the full surface I would like to use a sort of compact filter avoiding empty space between the false bottom and the pipe.

I have tried to build this filter starting from a strainer (other shape can be sued) that in some way I can fix at the bottom of the pipe with a central hole for the threaded rod

IMG_20140322_190722.jpg

Here some picture, do you see any drawbacks both during the worth recirculation and worth filtering at the end? Is there any risk to create preferred path and non-uniform recirculation or to have trouble during filtration?

IMG_20140322_192220.jpg

Thank you for support
Ciao
Davide

Hi Davide,

what's your feedback around the combination of the rod and inlet using the Y?

Thanks.
Luc

Hi guys
A couple of update related to my all in one clone solution and Ardbir team development

1) Silicone Heater

It’s an idea that I have since long time ago: use external silicon flexible heater band in order to mange the mashing and boiling process
The advantages are more than one, have uniform heating without scorching the worth with immersion heater, have an internal surface without any interference for whirpool, easy cleaning etc…

Now the idea is a reality and prototype, I have requested some custome silicone heater to a specialized company and I have mounted on my BIAB pot
The bottom pud is around 800W @ 220V while the lateral band is 1700W
They are self-adhesive with special 3M glue and easy to install

upload_-1.jpg

First test are promising , I would like to run a full test from cold water to boiling logging time/power/temperature and share the result

2) ArdBir automation

The ArdBir project is proceeding on many threads ..from SW features…to new HW set up
We decide to engineer an all in one compact board with atmel micro on board, USB interface, all ordinary interface (heater, pump, keyboard..) with component on the bottom and display on top.
The design is completed and here you can view the 3D rendering

PCB for few prototype have benne produced and we have sourced component

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

In a short time we are ready to test and share the info

stay tuned
Davide

Ciao, Davide -
Very nice setup you have going now. I am interested to hear how the heating elements work out after you complete your testing. At ~2500w, it should work OK, but may be slow to achieve the boiling point.

I am interested in what pump you are using and if you are happy with it.

--Dave

Las Sunday I have performed as promised some tests with current configutation:

25L of water , silicone heater direct connected to power supply (220V AC) without any controller

Recirculating pump always on, digital temperature probe and a wattmeter on the main supply

upload_-1.jpg

Every 10 minutes I have a temperature sample as you can see in the picture

upload_-1.jpg

The rump up is quite good with more than 1C per minutes

After 1H 20’ the water start boiling and even if it is not a roll boiling like gas the evaporation was quite good.
The video shows you the result

http://youtu.be/_kmqVdywYiI

The power absorption was around 2200W

upload_-1.jpg

I can conclude that the technology is promising and adding a good thermal insulation can be used effectively for small volume and compact systems
Next steps adding the ArBir controller and complete insulation

Stay tuned

The new prototype boards all in one with arduino uno (atmel microcontroller) embedded are ready for testing with the last Open Ardbir software

The best dedicated HW with the most advanced brewing automation software

View attachment 1424389108374.jpg

1st ArdBir Contest !!

Post on our Facebook page your BIAB system ArdBir powered and WIN a assembled all in one board

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-Ardbir/606829852720387

Basic rules
• write on the post “ArdBir contest”
• describe briefly your set up (SW and HW version, litre, recirculation, heating, pump..)
• insert one ore more picture showing ArdBir integration and any relevant technical details

The winner will be selected based on “like” on the post and ArdBir Team evaluation (criteria: most professional, innovative, original, well designed..)

Contest duration 2 weeks
people who has already posted their rig should resubmit !

Enjoy
Davide - ArdBir Team

ArdBir%2520Contest.jpg

Braking news !!

ArdBir software release 2.8.3 is ready for download !!

http://goo.gl/SXVZxn

It's the release candidate and we need your test and feedback

Please remember that after uploading the sketch you need to set all parameters!

Enjoy
Ardbir team

Ready to go! Open ArdBir all-in-one KIT presale NOW

Open%252520ArdBir%252520for%252520sale.jpg

After long wait we are happy to announce that we are ready for professional manufacturing a small batch of all in one ardbir boards.

Read carefully term an conditions, reserve your kit NOW, share with all your homberewing friends and help us to reach MoQ and remember that though the HW purchase you support the project

For all details click below link

http://goo.gl/forms/AU9a2Qdkag

Enjoy

Good News Open ArdBir supporter

The first batch delivery is almost on track. The board assembled will be ready Wednesday , we try to accelerate test phase, FW upload and packaging in order to provide the complete kit to the shipping agent on Sunday. So one week more of patience and your parcel will be on the way !

There are still few KIT available so if you are interested just complete the order form and we send you paypal money request

http://goo.gl/forms/AU9a2Qdkag

ArdBir%252520few%252520boards%252520avaialble.jpg

Another great news from ArdBir

Open ArdBir NEW Release 2.8.3RC8 is now avaialble !

https://goo.gl/qMhPgu

New features, some enanchements and corrections...lot of work since the original code adoption hope you appreciate it !

RELEASE NOTE
-Cooling process automation added
-Whirlpool process automation added
-pwm control for boil enhancement
-EEPROM remapping
-Bug Fix

Davide - ArdBir Team

Even during summer holiday ArdBir team has not stopped design and engineering

we are very proud to announce the reals of a new version of the control board..after the all-in-one the ArdBir NANO a new PCB with “piggy” Arduino NANO MCU

the final result is a ultra compact board, more powerful (more I/O), easy to build and low cost (single side PCB and all trough hole component)

ArdBir%252520NANO.png

what do you think about?

In a few days we are going to deliver CAD file an BoM

enjoy
Davide

Ciao Davide,

Do you know what's the diameter of the holes in the filters? I'm trying to build something similar out of PP and I'm afraid I might drill the holes too large or too small.

Not sure what filter are you referring to (I did so many different equipments..)
currently I'm using stainless steal basket with 400micron mash

Davide

Back