Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Single Tier Brutus Clone.....Another One!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
SchmidtyBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Single Tier Brutus Clone.....Another One!

I have spent a lot of time following this forum and have been very inspired by many of your builds. I thought it was only fair that I document my build and answer any questions along the way. I will also be asking many questions myself!

So lets get started Oh and sorry for the photos, they were all taken on my cell phone. I will try and get some better photos posted.

The stand welded with the pumps, chill plate, casters, and valves attached.

img_1312.jpg   img_1308.jpg   img_1305.jpg   img_1310.jpg   img_1314.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The stand has been at the house for a few months now, It has costed much more then I anticipated! But we are counting on the stand to supply the beer for our wedding in a few months, so its crunch time. Yesterday I added the aluminum diamond plate shelf and valve covers.

img_1315.jpg   img_1316.jpg   img_1309.jpg  

Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The control panel build and wiring is underway. I have to order a few more parts, but hopefully by later this week/weekend I will have some finished work to show. I will also try and gather a full build parts list, blueprints, sources, etc.

Oh, and a huge thanks to all of these guys for their inspiration, pics, knowledge, etc. There are many more I am sure and I will do my best to give credit where credit is due.

kal
JonW
Jlandin
schweaty
coderage
kladue
sawdustguy

Please let me know if anyone has any questions or picture requests along the way.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
rekoob
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looking very nice.

where did you get your casters? what are they rated for? you have a part number?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
HIM_Tattoos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is that a puggle behind the pumps???

Nice build BTW.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

When you do the supports for the pots, make sure to leave enough vertical space to allow exhaust gas flow.

Bob

Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks very nice! Did you do all the welding yourself? Is it stainless?

You may already know this, but you should rotate your pump heads so the output is higher than the input. Helps priming a good bit.
I just ordered all the gas stuff and PID's for my eventual brutus build. One thing I didn't get into yet is the tubing to connect the pilot burners to the valves. What is that stuff and where did you get it?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1379 Times on 1114 Posts

I gotta ask: why the myriad of transition fittings between the burner orifices and the gas valves, especially considering the flex hoses? Got family in the brass business?

Cheers!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoob
Looking very nice.

where did you get your casters? what are they rated for? you have a part number?

Thanks in advance.
The casters are from caster city, they are rated for 300lbs each, 3" wheels, and they have expanding rubber stems. The stems fit into the 2x2 stainless tubing and "expand" as they are tightened down. I don't have the exact parts number, but you can get on there and build yours to your exact needs.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIM_Tattoos
Is that a puggle behind the pumps???

Nice build BTW.
That's actually my older boxer Hendrix. He looks a little small in that pick, but he's about 70lbs or so. He is the build supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob
Hi

When you do the supports for the pots, make sure to leave enough vertical space to allow exhaust gas flow.

Bob
I have been looking at different options for this. I was hoping the current setup would allow enough airflow through the burner mounts. Once everything is up and going we will test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave
Looks very nice! Did you do all the welding yourself? Is it stainless?

You may already know this, but you should rotate your pump heads so the output is higher than the input. Helps priming a good bit.
I just ordered all the gas stuff and PID's for my eventual brutus build. One thing I didn't get into yet is the tubing to connect the pilot burners to the valves. What is that stuff and where did you get it?
My stepfather and I did all the welding and it s 2x2 stainless. There are a couple things already I wish we would have done different, but it's all a learning experience. Can I just rotate the heads our does the whole thing need to be rotated?

What kind of burners do you have? The burners here are lp hurricanes, and the burner orifice I bought from Williams brewing, the rest of the parts were from lowes. I plan on swapping out a few of the connections soon. As far as the pilot tubes, all of that was purchased from pex supply.
2 - 1/4"x5' pilot burner tubing w/ fittings. sku11-293
2 - 24" thermocouple sku q390a1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr
I gotta ask: why the myriad of transition fittings between the burner orifices and the gas valves, especially considering the flex hoses? Got family in the brass business?

Cheers!
Yeah, that's a bit embarrassing! My local lowes did not have the best selection and I literally had to piece together all of those fittings to connect the brass orifice to the gas line. That will be getting swapped out in the near future, I just need to find the right parts online.

Quick Reply