Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #1101
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkins98 View Post
Nice stand from a pile of freebies.
Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #1102
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Not a fancy rig, but it works. The cart is from Harbor Freight. It has storage down below and also under the tile top:

Inside of my HLT. I use a 1000 watt bucket heater to keep water warm. I use the propane BK to initially heat it and pump it to the HLT where the bucket heater maintains the temp. The bucket heater will heat to >160F (I have done so quite a few times), it just takes an hour. These Coleman Bev Coolers also have nice markings in US gallons and liters:

I use a bag and the SS basket instead of a false bottom:

Recirc Return/Sparge Arm:

SS valves and Camlocks:

My pump is over 15yrs old, but brand new. I stopped brewing right after I bought it. I used it once last December. I bought it when I read an article in BYO, or BT or Zymurgy...can't remember which. It was about building a RIMS. I bought the same pump and speed controller they used (from Grainger)

My Auber PID. This is a plug-n-play PID from Auber. I plug the probe into the valve on the MT that is in the first and fifth photo above:

Simple DJ lighting control. Everything is plugged into a GFCI outlet:

I used hangers that are used for hanging rakes and shovels in garages to hold the paddle:

A simple RV filter and white potable water hose take care of the water supply:

The BK is a 40qt and the burner says it is 90 or 100,000 BTU, can't remember which. It heats quickly. I am still waiting for my SS RIMS tube to come. It supposedly shipped on 29 Nov. I have a PVC tube for now which I have not used and don't plan to. Stay tuned for my final thoughts on the SS RIMS tube. Not pictured is my immersion chiller.
Hey if that basket you're using instead of a false bottom is from a turkey fryer then it's made from aluminium and not SS. I have one that looks just like it. At mash temps and pH it should be OK and develop a nice hard dark grey layer of aluminum oxide on it over the course of a couple of batches. Oh and what kind of pump is that. I doesn't look like a March to me.
Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #1103
DBbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

this is mine;

Dave
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marse...42084999171354

http:mash.sixpacktech.com

primarys: Black Jesus IPA
Secondaries: Apple cider

Bottled; Mead

Kegged; Barrel aged Porter, Irish Red,
Dead Guy Clone
Munich Helles, Oatmeal Stout, !2% Russian Imperial Stout, Milk Chocolate Stout, Barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, 12% Barley Wine(aging)

Up Next; Black IPA

Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #1104
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
Hey if that basket you're using instead of a false bottom is from a turkey fryer then it's made from aluminium and not SS. I have one that looks just like it. At mash temps and pH it should be OK and develop a nice hard dark grey layer of aluminum oxide on it over the course of a couple of batches. Oh and what kind of pump is that. I doesn't look like a March to me.
Yes, it was aluminum. I actually boiled it a couple of times and it did change colors. However, I am only using a large bag now. The basket made it easy to lift everything out, but I had problems with a stuck mash.

The pump is made by Teel. I bought it on 1/23/1996. Yep, 1996 and I still have the receipt. I read an article in Zymurgy or BT or BYO...pretty sure it was Zymurgy about constructing a RIMS. They used this same pump purchased from Grainger. It cost me $84.60 back in Jan, 1996. On Jan 21, our second daughter was born and for some weird reason, I stopped brewing and never even used the pump...go figure. I had a lot of equipment including keggles and at least 8 cornies and a nice lab setup. I sold almost everything except the brand new pump a Johnson Controls thermostat that I used on a chest freezer and my two 10gal Coleman Beverage Coolers. I started brewing again in 2009 and resurrected the two coolers and the pump. It works great and it's really quiet. Since I posted those pics, I have added my stainless steel RIMS tube and a shield over the pump.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #1105
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default The brewery

Here's my current setup which will be changing very soon as work has already started on a single tier stand. See Gridlocked's thread for build pics. This setup has worked well and it started as a full boil extract stand and which didn't last too long before I converted to all grain.

mashing.jpg   mill.jpg  

Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #1106
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Paulasaurus, that's a nice mill you built. Good luck with the new brew stand.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #1107
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Paulasaurus, that's a nice mill you built. Good luck with the new brew stand.
Thanks limulus, the mill stand really did come together nice. Still need a few finishing touches but its been great to have.

Current stand progress here--> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/life...38/index4.html

Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #1108
plinytheporter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulasaurus View Post
Thanks limulus, the mill stand really did come together nice. Still need a few finishing touches but its been great to have.

Current stand progress here--> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/life...38/index4.html
Can you provide us with some specs on that mill?

If you don't start drinkin' I'm gonna leave

Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #1109
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinytheporter View Post
Can you provide us with some specs on that mill?
Lets see. Stand is a donated Ikea kitchen cart. Monster Mill MM-2 with hopper. Don't remember the diameter of the sheaves or belt but I can measure them when I get home. 1/2 h.p. motor from the local Axeman store mounted underneath. Wired up with switch in the front with a 6' cord to plug.

Still thinking about making a cover for the moving parts but it just looks so cool when its running.

here's short video of it running- http://www.youtube.com/user/ejholmgren#p/u/1/sj6HfvqlhFE

Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #1110
ikonis
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's my portable little eRIMS rig:

Quick Reply