Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Ruined Stainless Pipe Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
alowell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Ruined Stainless Pipe Threads

Hey HBTers
So, I finally got the brew rig built. I attach my hose to my water inlet on the stand (which is the inlet of a whole house filter) and it leaks! Of course, the first possible place the stand could leak, does. Although, I found a few more in the water batch! The whole house filter has a stainless 3/4" female thread for the inlet (filter assembly Whirlpool WHKF-DWH) and I used a 3/4" male to 1/2" male NPT adapter on it. I'm pretty sure I cranked that thing so hard when I was installing the adapter that I maybe ruined the threads. At this point, I can't crank the adapter any tighter and when I try to loosen it to take it out, I can turn it MAYBE a 1/2 turn and then it becomes impossible to loosen anymore. Therefore, it is immovable tightening and loosening. Which lends me to believe that the threads are toast. I used teflon tape on the thread as well. Does anyone have any ideas on how to throw something on the connection point from the adapter to inlet of the filter? Would epoxy work and hold under the water pressure? It's either something like that, or I have to buy a new adapter and filter assembly, which is $40 I don't want to spend. Any help would be great, thanks

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Sounds like the threads siezed up. On fittings like this you should use teflon paste instead of tape.

Idon't know if epoxy would work or not. I guess it depends on your water pressure. It's worth a try.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Silver solder maybe?

I brew the best beer around.... don't believe me, ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me testing your beer with a write up....

OnTap: Rocky's IPA
OnTap: Wife's Ale
OnTap: Air
Fermenter: Vanilla Porter, Riley's Smile, Mead
OnDeck: Wifes Ale, J da Arrogant Bastard, Js Pale Ale, Rocky's Bark

Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
alowell
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, soldering would hopefully do it. Maybe I'll try that route or the epoxy. The only problem is that the female fitting on the water filter is a stainless sleeve in a plastic housing. Wouldn't want to melt the plastic. Any way to free up the threads?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I built my stand and learned a lot about stainless threads. I had no luck with paste and tape on a few fittings. I finally broke down and bought the sealant made by Loctite. I forget the number on it, like 567. Made for stainless to stainless conections, anything threaded that is stainless. It has lubricant in it that was like majic when putting the same fittings together. When I finally got them apart, the threads had broken off the nipple and lodged in the coupler threads. I had to take a screw driver to remove the threads. I will never put stainless to stainless fittings together again w/o the Loctite. Redid my build with it and lost all the real small leaks I had. You may find that when you get it apart the attatching fitting may be the only thing to replace, I hope.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
alowell
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't even know if I can get it apart. I literally had my whole weight into it and it wouldn't budge. I will probably try epoxying around the connection if I can't get it apart.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
TheYoshi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
I built my stand and learned a lot about stainless threads. I had no luck with paste and tape on a few fittings. I finally broke down and bought the sealant made by Loctite. I forget the number on it, like 567....
Guessing this is what you're referring to: Loctite 567

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
alowell
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Does that stuff harden once you apply it? Still waffling on what to do. I might try epoxying since I can't even get the fittings apart. Any recommendations on epoxy that is watertight and can with stand hose/high pressure?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

The loctite 567 is great before you put the fittings together, now that the threads have galled you need plan "B". Try using some WD40 on the threads and carefully rotate fitting both ways while trying to get the oil into the threads. After the oil is in the threads you can sometimes get the fittings out, then clean up the threads with a tap, and clean the residual oil with soap and water.

Quick Reply