Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > RIMS for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #1021
gregkabob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

klyph, Ya, I know I missed the details DOH

stlbeer, More than ready to help out. This is the best home brew site out there and my first stop when I need info. It's great that everyone is willing to help the electrically challenged folks like me.

Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #1022
davidr7283
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Greg,
Thanks for getting the kinks worked out on the PID. I have the same one and should be testing my RIMS this weekend. With the info you found out and the great help from HBT it should help me immensely.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #1023
gregkabob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

David,

Just so everyone knows what worked for me:

All the parts I used are from the original thead except that the PID is the 4352 and not the 4342 since the 4352 is set up for the SSR.

The thermocouple is the one from omega. The Omega web site shows a 12 inch and I called them to get it made into a 4". Took two weeks to get. After looking at the Auberins site I could have purchased it from them.

In the end the PID is set (kept) at the factory settings except of course for the temp.

I set my temp to 160. Brought the temp of the water to 158 adjusted the flow for brew day and turned on the heater. The PID brought the temp up to 160 and kept it there no problem.

Then I let the water cool to 158 and put it into Auto Tune. It did it's thing and was done in less than 15 min. Worked great and temps are holding great.

I think what I did in the begining was to mess with some of the factory settings. Even when I thought I had them set to Factory I still had the A-M setting at 0 and it should have been at 2. ( as pointed out to me and I missed it DOH )

Bottom line is it was operator error.

I hope my exeriance helps others and I really do apprcieate the support offered on this board. Can't wait to return from Fl to try it out. I have a 10 gl batch of Blue Moon clone ready to brew for my wife.

Greg

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #1024
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkabob View Post
I have a 10 gl batch of Blue Moon clone ready to brew for my wife.

Greg
I am so jealous of your planned Blue Moon. That is just plainly an awesome beer that I frequently order at restaurants whenever I can.

I'm also really pleased that you have gotten your setup working properly.

You no longer need luck at this point so I wish you great success.

P-J

Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #1025
gregkabob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks P-J. This will be the second batch of BM clone and my wife really likes it even though I drink most of it. I have a Kirin clone just ready to drink now. I tried it last night and have to say I like it. First beer using rice as one of the ingredients. One of the reason's I put together the RIMS is because the rubber maid mash tun will not hold it all per the recipe. Now that I can use the RIMS in the Keggle Mash Tun I'll be able to do the step infushion easier.

I just recieved my PICO style false bottom today and will install when I get home.

Greg

Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #1026
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm moving to a tri-clover attachment on my Rims tube. I had some scorching today for the first time. I think it's because I started using the RIMS to bring the temp of the mash up to 168 for a mashout. Recirculating to clean it just wasn't getting her done.

Anyway, it seems like the element I have, the one from the parts list at the beginning of this post, may be too short. The tri-clover adds some depth to the attachment, I think. So I'm looking for a replacement that's longer, maybe straight. I have about 12" between the end of the tube and the probe.

Here's the element I have. Any suggestions for a new one? Many thanks, guys.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #1027
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I used a cam fitting on my RIMs and I've been really happy with it. I think it is as effective as a tri clover but a little cheaper. I have a parts list somewhere if any one wants me to dig it up.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #1028
fxbghokie
Recipes 

I used the same element and was plagued with scorching any time I used the RIMS to bring the temp of the tun up. I don't claim to understand all of the math behind it, but you need a longer element. Spread the heat over more surface area, i.e. reduce the heat density. CAMCO makes the same element in a 5500 watt version for about $20. That said, I brewed two batches with the 5500W element with no issues. I then used it to do a wheat and had a lot of scorching. 120 -> 143, then 143 -> 157, finally 157 -> 168. I did reduce the flow because I was worried about a stuck mash. So this could have been operator error.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1029
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxbghokie View Post
I used the same element and was plagued with scorching any time I used the RIMS to bring the temp of the tun up. I don't claim to understand all of the math behind it, but you need a longer element. Spread the heat over more surface area, i.e. reduce the heat density. CAMCO makes the same element in a 5500 watt version for about $20. That said, I brewed two batches with the 5500W element with no issues. I then used it to do a wheat and had a lot of scorching. 120 -> 143, then 143 -> 157, finally 157 -> 168. I did reduce the flow because I was worried about a stuck mash. So this could have been operator error.
I wound up ordering THIS ELEMENT.

Hopefully it'll perform better. I was getting such great efficiency doing a mash out. Hopefully the remove and clean of the element will also help.

I'd also read that this particular element may not even be LWD. It seems these were "changed" by the manufacturer some time ago to make them "better." I think that's buried somewhere in this RIMS thread.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #1030
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There was some discussion a bit ago in this thread about how to cap off the element ends and protect you (and them). I had previously been using a PVC cap, grommet, and some waterproof electrical tape. I think I even uploaded a picture some pages ago.

I just came across this stuff called Sugru. It's Air-curable moldable silicone rubber. you basically mold it like clay and once it cures (24 hours) it is heat resistant to about 360F and remains waterproof, solid, though slightly flexible. It feels kinda like the rubber for a bicycle tire. This stuff costs a bit but once I got it I fell in love with it. I've since found all sorts of ways to use it within my build and ended up having to go and order a few more packs.

Here's a pic of the package and the results:

img_0362.jpg   img_0360.jpg  

Quick Reply