Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > RIMS Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Sizz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I am working on mine as well. I am going to feed the stainless pipe heater via gravity and have the March pump on the exit of said pipe heater.

One of us has it wrong I think, not sure who? Does it matter?

You are a lot more organized than me. I have no clue how much I have sunk into this already.
My thinking was that if you get a stuck mash, the pump could potentinally drain the heater and burn out the element.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizz View Post
I don't think I'll have scorching issues. I intentionally made the pipe the smallest diameter possible to allow the fastest flow over the element.
I wouldn't use a high density element in my RIMS heater but I hope it works out for you. You can only flow so fast when re-circulating the mash depending on how fast the liquid filters through the grain bed on top of your false bottom. With the narrow tube you will have a smaller amount of mash in contact with an element that has 150+ Watts/Sq Inch. If you used a low density element it would be half of that Power/Sq Inch and if you used an ultra low density element it would be a quarter of the Power/Sq Inch.

Guy

Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The scorching issue will depend on how you control your element. They don't heat up instantaneously and if your control system (controller/ssr) can handle it, a small pulse width will probably keep things in line.

If you're really worried I think you could pulse your setup with water and determine your differential temp change. Then you can set your pulse width accordingly.

I didn't look that close to see what kind of heat sink you have on your SSR, but you'd probably be fine if you add a fan. Just be aware that the smaller your PW the more dynamic power you'll be burning.

Tom

EDIT: Just saw your sparge plans. You'll probably need to have a separate control routine to keep your sparge water at temp

Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If this works, it will be the ideal electric based setup for sure. No HLT and perfect temp control of the mash. I agree that the control will have to be different for mash maintain and sparge. During sparge, you'll want to use 100% output to reach the desired sparge temp upon output of the hex. Yes, you'll have to run it slow as hell, but that's fly sparging anyway.

During mash maintain, wouldn't running the element at 50% cycle be the same as a low density? Are the warnings about scorching based on experience or guesses?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
During mash maintain, wouldn't running the element at 50% cycle be the same as a low density?
Theoretically, you would have to operate the heating element at 25% power to achieve an ultra-low density. But, you may be able to get away with something between 25% - 50% power.

The real issue are the different PID settings (gain, etc.) necessary to achieve both mash and sparge water temperature differentials. Operating the mash with the sparge PID settings will absolutely result in excessive wort caramelization.

Tankless water heaters have a large surface area to water ratio to achieve high temperature differentials. You're better off buying a commercial version than attempting to build one yourself. Don't forget, you'll need to heat the strike water too...

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, tankless heaters also have to accommodate 10x higher flow rate than a sparge would so the power requirement is spiked.

There is theoretically no difference in strike heating times between this method and having an element directly installed into an HLT. In the instant system, the water is flowed in slowly at temp. In a dedicated HLT, cold water blasts in and then you wait for the heat. Either way, you wait.

Even if you built two RIMS style HEX tubes, each designed for their purpose, it's deleting one vessel. It would also allow for a fly sparge on a single tier with only one pump.

Compare the price difference between building a RIMS tube and building an E-HLT. Maybe break even?

All I'm saying is that this isn't one of those ideas that should be discouraged right away. If it fails, all the parts can be reused in the more traditional HLT.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea I think it's an awesome idea!

You'll really just need a somewhat robust pid and good temp control on your ssr. Once upon a time I set something akin to this up for the fab I worked at while in college. I remember using a pid that had 4 setups that you could cycle through with the push of a button. I wish I remembered what brand it was..... it was blue lol....

Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
slimer

Recipes 

The BCS allows for finite control over the SSR, but IIRC the duty cycle is at 1 second intervals. If you want 25% power, it cycles 1 sec on 3 sec off. In my head, that would create some major pulsing.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If this works, it will be the ideal electric based setup for sure. No HLT and perfect temp control of the mash. I agree that the control will have to be different for mash maintain and sparge. During sparge, you'll want to use 100% output to reach the desired sparge temp upon output of the hex. Yes, you'll have to run it slow as hell, but that's fly sparging anyway.

During mash maintain, wouldn't running the element at 50% cycle be the same as a low density? Are the warnings about scorching based on experience or guesses?
Actually I give the OP an A+ for the concept. I have never scortched my mash because my RIMS uses a 1500 watt low density element. Call it gut feel, but I just can't invision how the mash wouldn't scortch going by a 5500watt high density element. I don't think the flow rate will be as great as he thinks. Don't misread me. I hope I am wrong. Just because Just because I choose to do it differently, doesn't mean it won't work. I have no proof it won't work. It will certainly be an interesting experiment. If he is successful it will be good news for those who are looking to build a simpler system.

Guy

Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
The BCS allows for finite control over the SSR, but IIRC the duty cycle is at 1 second intervals. If you want 25% power, it cycles 1 sec on 3 sec off. In my head, that would create some major pulsing.
Most run of the mill PID's can do a 2 second period. I'm interested to see if ~200ms will be long enough to cause enough temp variation to scorch. I looked around for response curves for hot water heater elements but found nothing lol

Quick Reply