Planning/Building Compact Two-Tier Brewing Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecarpetsample

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after lurking on the forums (especially in the DIY section), I have decided that it's finally time to start designing and building my brewing stand. Because I am finishing grad school and going to be renting for a while, I want a stand that is compact and can be disassembled easily. So after giving this a good amount of thought, I have finally gotten to this design. All of the vertical supports will be removable and 1.5” square steel tubing. The horizontal parts of the stand will be out of the same material but with 1.25” square tubing for the vertical supports to slide over. Cotter pins will be used so the vertical supports don’t pull out when the stand is assembled. I’ll try to find a better image of how this works, but for now you’ll have to use your imagination...

Assuming 6" for casters, the total stand height will be 31.5" not including the MLT, and the width will be 41". As for the layout, I am planning on having the MLT on the top, the HLT on the bottom right, and the BK on the bottom left. In addition to the compactness of the design, it will allow me to only need on pump to move liquid. For easy cleaning of the MLT, I'm going to install a tippy dump much like insp79's. There will be a distance of 6” from the top of the keggles on the bottom and the horizontal supports of the second tier.

The BK and HLT will sport BG14 burners, and the MLT will have a BG12. The MLT will also be setup for recirculation. To keep steam from interfering with the upper tier’s burner, I was thinking about using a piece of stainless sheet to divert the rising steam around the second tier.

I’ll keep updating progress and what not. I have fully outfitted my kettles, so I’ll be posting what that entailed.

I’m having my brother start welding the frame together, but I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions that people have regarding this design. I looked for a while on here, but I didn’t find anything too similar. I look forward to everyone’s comments!

Neat idea! Since you want this to be disassembled, I was thinking about keeping it light. With the amount of supports you have, you might try smaller tubing (1 or 1.25). I am not saying it will for sure work, but think about it.

Also, you could put the HLT on top and use gravity.

The reason for the 1.5" tubing was that I have about 15' of it from some leftovers from work. I also wasn't sure if anything smaller would handle the load of filled keggles. Thanks for the comments!

Back