Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Our Homebrew Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Elisha8685
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Our Homebrew Rig

Well after brewing for 1-2 years, my friend and I have decided to go in together and build our very own homebrewing rig. We thought it would be cool to open up a thread for people's entertainment as well as feedback and constructive criticism. If you feel like you have some input or questions please feel free to post!

We went through 4-5 personally made designs (3 tier, 2 tier, and finally single tier) on google sketchup. We were able to work out some kinks and decide what would be best to use. We went with a design that is single tier running off of two March 209 Center Inlet pumps with 3 BG-14 burners. We decided against the NG jet burners for a few reasons after reading many pages on this forum and other places. Our hope is to make a system in the long run that is completely automated and our actual setup allows for expansion up to a 55 gallon Brew Pot.

After buying 11 gauge tubular steel and having it cut, we took it to a local welder who did it for really cheap after some deals were cut. He did a fantastic job and I would recommend him to anyone in North TN or South KY. This is our schematic coming to life. Our "ground truth" made us alter our original schematic a little. Things always seem good on paper until you see the real thing.

We were ecstatic with the results so far.

Yesterday we mounted on the BG-14 burners from Agri-Supply. It is pretty neat seeing this thing come to life.

I will be posting further as we work on it and am open to suggestions. I will also be posting some side projects that we have been doing. Cheers to all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Hoppylikerabbits
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make sure you have some gas relief holes drilled into the beams. Wouldn't want to see that stand blow up due to the expansion of gases with no relief. Other than that. LOOKS FANTASTIC!! KEEP IT GOING!!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Snake10
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Relief holes? There is no gas in that thing. Its just a big grill. Enlighten me as to what your reasoning is. My opinion is no relief holes needed. Guess if you want relief holes, he did it when he tapped the frame with screw holes for the burner supports.
Snake10

Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake10 View Post
Relief holes? There is no gas in that thing. Its just a big grill. Enlighten me as to what your reasoning is. My opinion is no relief holes needed. Guess if you want relief holes, he did it when he tapped the frame with screw holes for the burner supports.
Snake10
I would agree with your opinion. If this were the case, every single Morebeer system, BrewMagic and Brutus Ten would have blown up by now.

This is a great looking system! Keep the pics coming!

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Snake10
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks Lonnie,
I knew I wasn't crazy! Keep building that stand and post pics, that looks great!
Lonnie, you in the Bluebonnet?
Snake10

Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake10 View Post
Thanks Lonnie,
I knew I wasn't crazy! Keep building that stand and post pics, that looks great!
Lonnie, you in the Bluebonnet?
Snake10
Actually I am brotha! I will be there next Friday night for the room crawl! I only put in three entries this year but I will be there all weekend.

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
Snake10
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Lonnie,
Good luck to you. Your the man!!!!!!!! Oh, I put in 5 entries. All were on my brutus and are awesome! Thanks again,
Snake10

Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Looks great!
As others have mentioned. No relief holes are needed!

Just one thought. You might want to raise your burners up a little. Ive found that I got better efficiency from the burner at about the 3-4 inch mark.
But thats just my $0.02
Cant wait to see it finised. Man I like these kind of threads.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppylikerabbits View Post
Make sure you have some gas relief holes drilled into the beams. Wouldn't want to see that stand blow up due to the expansion of gases with no relief. Other than that. LOOKS FANTASTIC!! KEEP IT GOING!!
For it to explode it would either need a flammable gas or water to be in the tube, if its just air then you would have to heat it to the melting point of the steel for it to rupture and then it would just be a small puff of air from the expansion of the air which is very little.... now if you filled it with water before you welded it closed it could rupture if heated to very high tempretures that a inderect propane burner will not do

Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
For it to explode it would either need a flammable gas or water to be in the tube, if its just air then you would have to heat it to the melting point of the steel for it to rupture and then it would just be a small puff of air from the expansion of the air which is very little.... now if you filled it with water before you welded it closed it could rupture if heated to very high tempretures that a inderect propane burner will not do
Actually, steel tubes have been known to explode from extreme heat. Someone had a converted keg explode because there were no holes drilled on the bottom ring.

Also, bicycle manufacturers drill holes in the chainstays so the frames don't explode while welding. I think think the size of the tubing makes a difference.

Check this out
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/for...t=6445&start=0

Quick Reply