Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > New RIMS setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default New RIMS setup

I’ve been wanting to get some more consistency in my brewing for a while now, and also wanted to simplify the brewing day a little bit. Like everyone, I’ve had plans for a stand floating around in the back of my head, but one thing I wanted to keep about my current system is the ease of portability. Keeping that in mind, I changed my plans a bit, and decided to start rethinking the system. My primary concerns were:

• Portable
• Consistent
• Ability to run on 240, 120, or propane, depending on where I’m brewing
• Compact
• Sparge water on demand, no more HLT
• Switchable between high and low power for strike/sparge and mashing.

Now some of these won’t be able to be met at all times, but having the ability go from brewing at home with 240 power, no HLT, and constant mash temp from the RIMS tube, to going to a buddy’s house, and plugging in to 120 and heating with propane is worth the trade off to me.

The system isn’t totally done yet. I’ve still got to put an electric element in the boil kettle, and build a nicer stand to set the Mash and Boil on, but it’s close enough I’m ready to share. So enough of the babbling, how about some pics? Warning, there will be a bunch.

First, I started with a bunch of parts.

Next came the layout. I started by covering the Auber project box with masking tape and laying out the parts.

Following that, I center punched and pilot drilled the locations, then followed up with a unibit.

After removing the tape and filing the edges, it was time for a test fit. Due to a screwup on my part, I forgot one light from the order and had to place a second one.

Next came time to design the inside layout. Looking at all of my parts, I was definitely worried about space. I also forgot one relay, so ended up waiting on that too.

While waiting for the forgotten parts to show up, The RIMS tube from Stout Tanks showed up. This thing is a beast!

Time to start wiring. First rule, make a plan, schematics help. Then, to make it easier on yourself, make an actual wiring diagram that looks like your layout. Run through it a couple times in your head. Trace the paths down, keep that magic smoke inside the devices, not out.

It’s alive! Time to cobble stuff together for a test.

First test didn’t go so great, lots of leaks from the PTFE gaskets. I ended up ordering new silicone gaskets, but after a good thorough cleaning, the PTFE gaskets worked the next time. While waiting on the gaskets to show up, my brewing buddy dropped by with the next major parts.

A couple of nights of sketching, and playing around eventually lead to this. I also picked up a new DudaDiesel B23-30 chiller.

Now it’s time for a good test and cleaning.

At the time of this test, I didn’t have my 240 outlet installed yet, so I was only able to run it on 120. Running on 120, it was able to hold the temps well, all while being plugged into a 15 amp GFCI outlet. Since then, I’ve gotten my GFCI spa panel and outlet set up, and tested again on high power. I’m happy to say that the one part I worried about, instant sparge water, has worked out well. All of my calcs I made before going down this path said I should be able to get 1.5 qts of water at 170 degrees per minute. Last night I was able to get almost exactly that using 70 degree water on the input. The only thing I have left for the stand is to add casters, hard plumb some fresh water lines to the filter and chiller, and purchase a cover for the element connections. And that is my new system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Got everything set up and ran the first batch through it yesterday. Held temps great, raised temps easily, and the instant sparge water worked out great. Also got to use the new plate chiller, and it took the 12 gallons from boil to 60 as fast as it would pump. Really digging the whole setup.

image-51831355.jpg   image-1620481872.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Nice work. Im working on something like this but with a hoist for BIAB.

I especially like the sparge on demand :cheers:

Any reason you didn't mount the control box to the stand too? (Like the tower of power)

Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26
Nice work. Im working on something like this but with a hoist for BIAB.

I especially like the sparge on demand :cheers:

Any reason you didn't mount the control box to the stand too? (Like the tower of power)
I actually planned to put a small shelf for the control panel, but haven't built it yet.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky

I actually planned to put a small shelf for the control panel, but haven't built it yet.
:cheers:

Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, after brewing on it 10-12 times the last few months, I haven't found too much I would change. Added an inline temp probe and inline oxygen stone to it, and they are proving quite handy. If I would hurry up and get the parts for an electric kettle, I would be set.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
RAWhiteFSU
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very cool build. I'm planning something like this for when I have access to 220.

Lofty Intentions Brewing Co., Est. 2011
Tallahassee, FL

LHBS: http://www.homebrewden.com/
NFBL: http://nfbl.org/nfbl/index.php

Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
baulz
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice build, thanks for sharing. I've been planning on adding a RIMS system to my brew rig.

Are you heating cold tap water to sparge temp in one pass through the RIMS tube? When you re-circ in the mash tun do you just have the wort return hose sitting on top of the grain bed?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baulz
Are you heating cold tap water to sparge temp in one pass through the RIMS tube? When you re-circ in the mash tun do you just have the wort return hose sitting on top of the grain bed?
Yes and yes. 5500 watts running water at 1 qt per minute gives me a 100* temp rise. I started with just leaving the hose on the grainbed, but did recently build a sparge arm from a couple pieces of copper and a tee.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
IPA-Hole
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I like it...I like it a lot! Any chance you can put together a parts list and maybe (pretty please) a schematic?

I just had to ask.....

Quick Reply