Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Need help picking steel for a brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Fly sparging requires two simultaneous transfers. You need to run off from your MLT into the BK and at the same time add back sparge water from the HLT. The pump can only be doing one job at a time. If you went with a two level design like the Sabco Brew Magic style, you could gravity drain the MLT into the BK while using the pump to move sparge water from the HLT to the MLT. Alternatively, you could have just the HLT elevated and let it gravity drain into the MLT while the pump moved the wort from the MLT to the BK.

I will need to look up the wall thickness - I don't remember that off hand.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
You misunderstand what he is saying. The pumps work fine for flysparging, but because it involves simultaneously filling and draining the MLT, it requires TWO pumps if you go single-tier.
yeah I just was coming to that conclusion in my head haha! Sometimes my firm grasp of the obvious er well... waivers.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

And for that wall thickness, I was looking for a ball park. I am interested in asking the steel guys for a quote of precut steel to see how much this will take costwise. I was actually going to submit your stock cut list.

Update:

Reading some threads I think I will be going with 2x2'' 11g or 1/8'' square tubing for my build (mild steel). I like the added rugged factor and the relative ease of tapping the stock so I can add things (i.e. brew controller). Now I just have to get a quote and see about custom cutting vs. plain stock.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
JonW

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
And for that wall thickness, I was looking for a ball park. I am interested in asking the steel guys for a quote of precut steel to see how much this will take costwise. I was actually going to submit your stock cut list.

Update:

Reading some threads I think I will be going with 2x2'' 11g or 1/8'' square tubing for my build (mild steel). I like the added rugged factor and the relative ease of tapping the stock so I can add things (i.e. brew controller). Now I just have to get a quote and see about custom cutting vs. plain stock.
Pretty sure mine is 1/8". At that thickness, you don't need vertical uprights in the front or rear of the stand. I know my stand could hold a car on it!

I use self tapping screws for mounting all my electrical underneath, J-boxes, pumps, chiller, etc. Even my new tippy dump was added with self tapping screws and it is solid as a rock.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Pretty sure mine is 1/8". At that thickness, you don't need vertical uprights in the front or rear of the stand. I know my stand could hold a car on it!

I use self tapping screws for mounting all my electrical underneath, J-boxes, pumps, chiller, etc. Even my new tippy dump was added with self tapping screws and it is solid as a rock.
Awesome! That sounds like very easy installation that will look very good.

Was just quoted about $185 delivered for 2x2 in precut stock from your cut list. Of course I didn't have them do the mitre cuts, but man that is VERY tempting to me. Though I am sure it would be a bit cheaper to get full length stock and cut it myself.

2qty 60'' length
2qty 18'' length
2qty 56'' length
8qty 14'' length
4qty 24'' length

CARBON STEEL SQUARE TUBING HREW A-513 TP 1 PICKLED & OILED

I assume this is the stuff I shoudl be looking for (see steel description above)?

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
JonW

Recipes 

I just got an e-mail from the guy who picked up my steel and he said he thinks it was 16 gauge (.065").

Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1378 Times on 1113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I just got an e-mail from the guy who picked up my steel and he said he thinks it was 16 gauge (.065").
That sounds right. I've been researching for my eventual single-tier build and it seems 1.5" square 16 gauge was right in the middle of what people have been using...

Cheers!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
MooMooBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

anyone have any comments about stainless?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #19
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1378 Times on 1113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooBrew View Post
anyone have any comments about stainless?
Sure: "$$$"

I'd love to build a stainless single tier stand, as I have stainless kettles, stainless burner wind guards, stainless valves, stainless QDs and all fittings...but damn that stainless tubing stuff is pricey.

Still, it might happen, if my contract work holds up...

Cheers!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Im in the same boat looking at steel. I built the single tier in autocad and designed it using 1" X 1" angle at .125 (1/8") thick with a 1" X 1" square tubing border or collar. I too will "piggy back" your thread.

Quick Reply