Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > NanoBrewery build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #901
rydup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

add another to the list. spent the last week on and off reading, couldn't stop. saw the small brewery building in the beginning then I looked towards the end saw the large new building and i had to read the whole thread to see how you got there. great read, I am truly inspired.
congrats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #902
inkedfireman
Irrelevant Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'll second that. Reading this thread was an epiphany. I'll confess that at first, my thoughts were "this is bull****, there's no friggin' way anyone is professionally brewing in THAT."

I stand corrected, and I apologize. The audacity of your plan made me a doubter, but now I believe! As I went through the pages and read of your successes and minor setbacks and challenges, I actually began to think "hell, if he can start small and do it, why couldn't I?"

I thank you for giving me that spark of hope that someday, I might be able to turn my hobby into a business. I'm going to have to do SOMETHING when I retire from the FD, because of you, that may just be opening a nano/microbrewery and tasting room.

Denny

Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #903
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You should see what I professionally brew in, looks like someone stuck me in a closet LOL

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #904
Tyrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
You should see what I professionally brew in, looks like someone stuck me in a closet LOL
You run a nanobrewery? I thought you would.ve been in IT. How bout some pics of your setup?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #905
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone

You run a nanobrewery? I thought you would.ve been in IT. How bout some pics of your setup?
I'm actually in law enforcement, used to be in IT but it wasn't my true calling. Like Boss I maintain my day job. Come sometime in March 2012 my brews will be hitting a few bars here as well as two gas stations. Hopefully expanding out as it seems to be a hit in all my test feelers.

I will be giving pics this spring, right now its nothing to look at. Just a kitchen and a crammed shed, and a few closets lol

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #906
Tyrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post

I will be giving pics this spring, right now its nothing to look at. Just a kitchen and a crammed shed, and a few closets lol
Roger that.

I'm intrigued by the business aspect of brewing as a serial entreprenuer. I've had some wins but some turkeys as well but all tech related. I want to leave tech and do something that pays the bills until retirement in twenty or so years.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #907
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is very inspiring as everyone else has stated, I've always read forums full of pessimist haters who say you can't start this small but it makes the most sense. Obviously now we can all point to Dogfish Head but haters still abound. It took me stumbling upon a tiny brewpub in Santiago to get me looking into this, and by tiny I mean 8 seats. Of course they have much more lax regulations (no stupid 3 tier system) but still corporate piss lagers to compete against.

Since I've been recently inspired I've decided to start a brewpub in a similar fashion as you (glorified home brew setup) and see where it takes me. Maybe this is the beginning of a go-pro revolution.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #908
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreweryUnderground View Post
This is very inspiring as everyone else has stated, I've always read forums full of pessimist haters who say you can't start this small but it makes the most sense. Obviously now we can all point to Dogfish Head but haters still abound.
I don't think it's so much haters as realists. The cold hard facts dictate you are much more likely to fail in business than succeed in business; doesn't matter the industry. Can a person start a nanobrewery and be successful over time? Yes. Very few actually make it.

A brewpub like DFH is an entirely different business model than a straight up brewery of any size. When your only product is beer, that changes things and makes it harder. Beer is a volume business.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #909
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

IIRC DFH began as only beer, their Brewpub was a later development. But I never finished his book so I could be wrong. Personally, I hate their beer but I have a great deal of respect for Sam and he has a lot to teach us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Roger that.

I'm intrigued by the business aspect of brewing as a serial entreprenuer. I've had some wins but some turkeys as well but all tech related. I want to leave tech and do something that pays the bills until retirement in twenty or so years.
I wouldn't rely on it to pay the bills lol, not for a long time anyway. If you want to work at an $80k a year level and not get paid a dime for it, and shell out money all the time, this is for you

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #910
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks
Beer is a volume business.
If it was entirely a volume business microbreweries wouldn't be in business and everyone but us homebrewers would be drinking macro backwash. I think the amount of success Hoss has had very early on shows that there's more to it. Of course breweries will come and go and many will get started off on the wrong foot, but my main complaint with the 'haters' are the ones that aren't constructive to up and comers saying you need a million or two to get started and that the paperwork is impossible. The haters are usually cynic non-pro brewers who can't think small.

Also it does vary quite a bit state to state, it's much easier for a nano to get started if they can get retail dollars on their brew. In Cali Hoss is very lucky that they're brew friendly (as compared to other states and not to the wine lobby of course), if breweries are in a similar situation I think it's the best way to get an operation going. I'm in Chicago looking to do a tiny brewpub to be able to sell and distribute my beer which leaves me with a lot of room to grow if the market is right. I think any start up brewery that can should look into having a taproom so they can make money skipping the middle men of the industry.

Someday I'd love to get back out to California and try that wee heavy.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Quick Reply