Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #671
Stealthcruiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 2421

Sheet copper would look nice!
What kind of stainless are you talking about?

And roof flashing will work as a heat shield, and probably used quite frequently in masonry work as a "drip shield".

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #672
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah exactly drip edge, thru wall flashing, we use lots of different materials depending on the design. Mostly 20 - 24 gauge stuff so it can be bent with a brake. Stainless is such a pain to work with we usually farm out the fabrication but I have piles of scrap material that could be used for heat shield applications. I have seen how badly the stainless discolors ins this thread with flame exposure so I'm not sold its he best choice.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #673
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anyway I found the galv strut at home deeps for $16 a length along with the strut nuts ($1 each)and bolts. Do you use the nuts with the integral springs?

They also had the two hole and four hole L-brackets and pipe clamps up to 3". I'm thinking I could make this work but I really like the thk-225 or 233 fittings for the three way connection so I may order these.

My basic 2-tier design will incorporate my existing ghetto burner (bass pro turkey fryer) until I can get onto the house NG. I use a cooler tun but only have one 15 G pot for now. I was doing 5 gal batches until my last one, my first 10 but I was so sketched out by the weight on the cheesy turkey fryer I lashed some rope to the handles and an overhead beam in case the thing gave out.

After drooling over all the single tiers i just dont have the loot to invest in a pump at the moment so I'm thinking gravity drain the cooler into the pot and lift it back onto the burner. I thinking I will definitely need a heat shield between the cooler and burner as these will be on the same tier.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #674
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

Maiden voyage last night went well. Did a 10 gallon Dunkel Weizen and hit my numbers almost dead on. Only issue was my MLT ball valve wasn't on tight and I couldn't get the MLT to drain even with the pump. Started to freak out but tightened it up and was fine. I usually fly sparge (old three tier rig) but I double batch sparged this batch and the efficiency was great!

Also built this chiller a couple nights ago out of 1/2" ID Tubing, this thing is a beast! Went from 212 to 90 in 15 mins with 80 degree ground water.

image-2021691009.jpg

image-773043492.jpg

image-1040200667.jpg

image-4095669877.jpg

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Orange Belgian IPA, Irish Stout, American Amber, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #675
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethlovex View Post
After drooling over all the single tiers i just dont have the loot to invest in a pump at the moment so I'm thinking gravity drain the cooler into the pot and lift it back onto the burner. I thinking I will definitely need a heat shield between the cooler and burner as these will be on the same tier.
That's the great thing about the strut! You can reconfigure it later. I'm using my single tier as a 3tier just by standing it on end and adding my verticle supports as shelves in the right spots.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #676
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

bd2xu, looking good. As for the burner mounts, I ended up doing mine a little different. I wanted them further away from the bottom of the kettle than two L brackets worth so I put a piece of strut on two sides with a beam across between the two. This way I can raise and lower the burners as needed. Also makes for a pretty solid support.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #677
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74
bd2xu, looking good. As for the burner mounts, I ended up doing mine a little different. I wanted them further away from the bottom of the kettle than two L brackets worth so I put a piece of strut on two sides with a beam across between the two. This way I can raise and lower the burners as needed. Also makes for a pretty solid support.
Sounds good would like to see a pic. I read that the kab4 with the 10" banjo was updated to be farther away from the kettles and was done to be more effective with flat bottomed vessels. Someone on the forum said that with keggles you want them closer. I'm happy with my distance (haven't measured but prob 3") so far but I haven't tried different distances. I definitely can't crank them all the way or I get flames around the sides but I don't think I need to. My thought is that when the burner is close, you can save gas by keeping the flames lower, you get more radiant heat from the burners themselves, and I'm hoping I can get away with no wind guards. I had an issue first test fire with the heat on my HLT coming up through the front left corner and boiling the water in my sight glass. For my first brew day I just put a piece of flashing over the corner opening and it solved it. So I may look at adding some kind of triangles in the corners of my HLT and bk to protect from the wash. I've seen this done on some welded stands. I was thinking I could use pieces of the diamond ss cut to triangles and screw them on maybe.
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Orange Belgian IPA, Irish Stout, American Amber, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #678
cracked1
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

image-107496753.jpg. Thanks to this thread we had a strut stand brew day last weekend. After I built my single tier my buddy just had to have a stand too so we built him a double tier. We were finally able to get together and brew on both stands at once. 11 gallons of Lemon Blonde and 11 of Firestone Walker DBA clone. Woohoo!

I was going to change my signature but I ran out of clever.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #679
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Fourth batch on the new rig, this one is a five gallon batch of Denny Conn's Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter. Plan on doing a secondary with vanilla beans and then onto 2 oz whiskey barrel chips I've been soaking in bourbon.

Finally got this dialed in I think. My biggest issue so far has been a loose connection of the ball valve on my MLT which kept it from draining. I think I'm finally past that. I'll say, it sure would be nice to have welded fittings one day...

With only one pump right now I've been doing double rinse batch sparges and getting 70%+ efficiency, not bad.

image-487640119.jpg

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #680
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thought I'd share a little on propane and regulator experience. I'm using a reg that goes up to 30 psi. The two ten inch banjo burners take 30 psi and the six inch banjo for my MLT takes 10. I adjust each burner from there with a needle valve. If I have the reg open too much I can't light the six inch, even with the needle valve barely open. It will light and then blow right away. What I do is at the start of the brew session I light the six inch and open the needle valve all the way, then open the reg until the flame blows out, then back off a half turn. From there the six inch will work great and the ten inchers still get plenty of gas. Love this new system!!!!

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply