Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #391
TerraNova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccrgolee View Post
These strut builds are awesome. I just finished my frame a couple days ago and I'm slowly but surely adding all the pieces (pumps, pump switch, gas plumbing, etc.)

For all the single tier builders out there, has anyone seen or done an extra section with a flat top for a "workstation" type thing? I envision being able to leave my paper and pen and iphone for note taking. I also see a drawer underneath that could hold refractometers, hydrometers, irish moss bottles, small thermometers, etc. I looked on mcmaster car for a drawers and found two but I hadn't seen them used in any other brew stands and I wanted to see more.

The last thing I was thinking about was something to hang mash paddles or long stainless spoons on. Has anyone seen a good idea for this?

Thanks!

I am in the build process on mine and I am doing the whole 9 yards on what you are describing.
  • Fold up table wing like the one mentioned a few posts up on this thread.
  • Hooks for hanging my stainless mash paddle (going to drill into the strut and bolt the store bought towel hook)
  • Under mounted draws. As seen here I haven't seen any in SS that are the right size (or budget) so I may just go with painted ones as they will be under a shelf anyway.

I am surprised more people don't add additional hooks, shelves, and drawers to thier stand. Why make it hard on yourself on brewday?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #392
sccrgolee
Recipes 

thanks guys for the posts...i'm still surprised i haven't seen more drawers on peoples stands as well as an additional stand for a workspace...taking notes, etc.

i've looked long and hard for someone who's added a workspace and haven't seen it, so if you all know of something, please post!

thanks again for the comments!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #393
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccrgolee
thanks guys for the posts...i'm still surprised i haven't seen more drawers on peoples stands as well as an additional stand for a workspace...taking notes, etc.

i've looked long and hard for someone who's added a workspace and haven't seen it, so if you all know of something, please post!

thanks again for the comments!
One thing not mentioned is the amount of heat put out by the burners. The idea of putting a shelf or drawer anywhere on my stand is a no go. You would be better off putting a separate table somewhere behind you. I've had to add metal plates here and there just to shield certain pieces of tubes, rubber, etc. my stand has a rubber strip that caps the "C" channel when it faces upward. This rubber starts to smolder, even though its 12" under the nearest burner.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #394
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 89

bobbrewedit summed up my thoughts pretty well - I could see having a hook here or there to hang you hoses or your mash paddle/spoon, but having a work surface to rest your phone, or even drawers? That also sounds to me like a call for a separate structure than the one that's generating many thousand BTU's of heat - unless, that is, you're an electric brewer. You electric guys I could see working in the drawers and stuff, maybe. But even then - in my case for example - I'd personally keep my rig in my garage and the rest in my basement between brew days. Having a drawer or two on my brew rig, heat issues notwithstanding, would probably become something of a novelty after a brew or two...

Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #395
MDRex
Recipes 

Someone asked about curved strut. Here is a link to McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-channel-systems/=lqi6cb

Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #396
MDRex
Recipes 

How strong is the 13/16 strut and for what sections would be safe to use it?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #397
sccrgolee
Recipes 

thanks for those thoughts on drawers and hangers. i guess that's why i didn't see a whole lot of info about that stuff. those that did it, probably removed them after their first brew day! thanks again guys....i'm continually impressed by this site. i absolutely learn a ton on here. i hope at some point i can contribute some advice instead of just questions.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #398
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRex
How strong is the 13/16 strut and for what sections would be safe to use it?
If I could do it again, I would use the 13/16" strut for the vertical pieces. For a 5 gallon system, I'd bet you could use it for the whole thing. Figure you wouldn't span more than 18-20 inches with it. Head to the hardware store and see if you can bend a 2' piece! In all seriousness, there are stats on the strength of all the strut and connectors because its usually used by architects and engineers in construction who need that info.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #399
Drewski8986
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

These builds inspired me to do one of my own and step up to 10 Gal batches.I'm going single tier with three burners . I picked up my strut and a few other pieces tonight . All my fittings nuts and bolts will be here tomorrow I acquired one keg just need two more they are hard to come by here in Baltimore . Ill post up some pics of the build as I go along .

Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #400
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What about just cutting the legs of these grate/shroud/burners and setting them inside a boxed section of strut? I already have the burners (which are welded to the shroud). Right now my pumps are just sitting on the ground and I'd like to make a proper stand. Any thoughts?
http://www.campchef.com/maximum-outp...le-cooker.html

Quick Reply