Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #141
gifty74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Got the Auber PID hooked up and wired into a vintage 6"x6" control panel I scarfed off an old piece of equipment at work.

image-1117040451.jpg   image-3477211710.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #142
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Now that is a sweet looking rig.

Any tips for those of us who have not physically started with our construction yet? Any headaches with the strut?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #143
gifty74
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesSoda6 View Post
Now that is a sweet looking rig.

Any tips for those of us who have not physically started with our construction yet? Any headaches with the strut?
Well, here's what I can attest to, the 12ga strut that I used is way more heavy duty that I would've thought. It takes a cutoff wheel a good time to get through it, and a good bit of pressure and time to drill through it (which you shouldn't have to do much). You just have to keep steady pressure on it and take your time while cutting. But, as mentioned, one 7" cutoff wheel for $2.50 from Harbor Freight made all of my cuts. Clean up the ends with a decent file as they will be sharp. I'd stay with 1/2" bolts and be sure to use the strut nuts. Allows you to put the whole thing together with just a socket wrench.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #144
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Outstanding info Gifty. I am thinking of doing a photo breakdown from raw material to finished assembly when we do this in the near future. I think I will go 14ga. on the struts but I have to give you some mad props for not only doing this, but inciting a firestorm of ideas and excitement.

Side Note: I work for the local cable company and have run in to other homebrewers on my route who have seen this thread and are forming plans themselves. Needless to say we spent a lot of time waxing intellectually about this stuff and are appreciative for your posting.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #145
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
You know, looking at the rated loadings, it only drops from 1,690 to 1,390 lbs for uniform loading on 24" span. That's not a big drop at all and for the weight savings it might be nice going with the 14ga. I wish I would've looked at that a little closer actually when I was spec'ing it out. This stuff gets it's high loading from the shape of the strut channel. It's built for structure for sure.
Where are you getting these ratings? Not that I don't believe you, but it's been my experience that when there's this type of technical information, there's usually lots of other technical goodies to be found.

And if it's in one of those catalogs you posted earlier, my apologies, I may not be able to download it here at work or I just flat out missed it.

As someone said above, this is one of the most informative threads on this forum.

Thanks,

Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #146
gifty74
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Where are you getting these ratings? Not that I don't believe you, but it's been my experience that when there's this type of technical information, there's usually lots of other technical goodies to be found.

And if it's in one of those catalogs you posted earlier, my apologies, I may not be able to download it here at work or I just flat out missed it.

As someone said above, this is one of the most informative threads on this forum.

Thanks,
No, no problem. I've just been going off the ratings posted by the manufacturer. As far as the truth to them, I HIGHLY doubt they would ever post something they don't thoroughly test and validate, and publish with a hefty safety factor. These products are used primarily by electricians and plumbers that hang some major loads on them. Here's the link to the stuff I was using.

http://www.powerstrut.com/channel.html

That lists all the grades, and if you click on one it takes you the the page for that grade and at the top you'll see a link for beam & column loadings.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #147
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Gifty, if you had to drill a hole in the particular piece of strut you were using for a bolt (none within reach), did you use a step bit or have something dedicated in size?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #148
Kujo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post

Thanks,

These struts are used in commercial construction. I used to do remodels and had to take down (and sometimes help put back up) old transformers that are suspended up above the ceiling with these. They used two 30" segments of these suspended by 4 pieces of allthread to hold a 300+ pound electrical transformer. And believe me if it wasn't rated for it, it would have never passed the building inspectors code enforcement that's needed to finish the job. They are also used in routing electrical conduit, chiller lines, and air ducts. Very versatile and very strong. Just thought I would share that for anyone else worrying about weight.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #149
gifty74
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesSoda6
Hey Gifty, if you had to drill a hole in the particular piece of strut you were using for a bolt (none within reach), did you use a step bit or have something dedicated in size?
I think a step bit would do it, but it might take some good effort. I just used a 3/8" standard bit and keep some good pressure on it and it eventually broke through. Let me know how it goes.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #150
gifty74
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesSoda6 View Post
Outstanding info Gifty. I am thinking of doing a photo breakdown from raw material to finished assembly when we do this in the near future. I think I will go 14ga. on the struts but I have to give you some mad props for not only doing this, but inciting a firestorm of ideas and excitement.

Side Note: I work for the local cable company and have run in to other homebrewers on my route who have seen this thread and are forming plans themselves. Needless to say we spent a lot of time waxing intellectually about this stuff and are appreciative for your posting.
Yeah, thanks. Can't really take credit for being the first to post about using this material obviously, but this thread has certainly gotten a lot of views and comments from people that are really using it. I generally don't post unless I feel strongly that it is going to be a good option for more than just myself. I've been through gathering bed frames, trying to find a friend or family member that could weld for me (which I could not), trying to figure out maybe how to weld myself, etc. Nothing panned out and I wished I would've found this stuff before spinning my wheels for a few years trying to get welded stand put together. I also was not sure if I wanted single or two tier, and didn't want to pay to get something all welded up. Even if you think you want welded, this is a super cheap way to put together all kinds of configurations and test them to see which one works best for you. Or if you're planning to move in a few years and not sure of the setup at the new house. Great material to use.

Quick Reply