Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My new brew system, a brutus 10 with some nice modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #61
EarthBound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudasaj View Post
Physics 101. Steam occupies 1000x the the volume as water. Additionally all gases expand with temperature. Therefore increased internal frame pressure along with slight weakening of the welds at high temperature could theoretically result in a failure/rupture.
If you could please provide evidence (pictures, testimony, etc.) of such failure/rupture in a brewstand. Thanks!

I know this is OT but that would be Fluid Mechanics 101 or Thermodynamics 101. Physics 101 usually covers elementary classical mechanics.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #62
BrianL
Recipes 

Back to the burner orifice. I tried the .067 that you recommended (I think that was you!) in another post and wasn't happy with the burn. I ended up at .094" with a nice flame. I haven't done a boil test yet, but I think it'll be good.

I also realized I was using 1/4" supply line from the propane tank....3/8" made a huge difference!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #63
jlandin
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Back to the burner orifice. I tried the .067 that you recommended (I think that was you!) in another post and wasn't happy with the burn. I ended up at .094" with a nice flame. I haven't done a boil test yet, but I think it'll be good.
I also realized I was using 1/4" supply line from the propane tank....3/8" made a huge difference!
Thanks Brian! Yeah that was me. Funny thing the flames looked totally different initially compared to the water test day. Back to the chart/drilling process I guess...

My supply lines are 1/2" OD after the solenoid valves (something bigger before the valves) so should be fine.

--
Josh

EDIT: This is my 100th post, neato!

Projects: My Keezer - My Brutus 10

Old 05-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #64
dudasaj
Dude
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
If you could please provide evidence (pictures, testimony, etc.) of such failure/rupture in a brewstand. Thanks!

I know this is OT but that would be Fluid Mechanics 101 or Thermodynamics 101. Physics 101 usually covers elementary classical mechanics.

Firstly I'm not the one who claimed that a rupture would occur.

Secondly, if your so familiar with advanced physical sciences why did you have to ask?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #65
JewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/exploding-kegs-29044/

Please see the link above. Although that case is not one of an exploding brew stand it is the same concept. Expanding air in a confined space=BOOM

Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #66
EarthBound
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudasaj View Post
Firstly I'm not the one who claimed that a rupture would occur.

Secondly, if your so familiar with advanced physical sciences why did you have to ask?
Dude... I was just asking if you had evidence to support your theory. I apologize for doing so. I will make sure to ignore you from now on. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewBrew View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/exploding-kegs-29044/

Please see the link above. Although that case is not one of an exploding brew stand it is the same concept. Expanding air in a confined space=BOOM
Thanks, but that is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for brewstand ruptures, not keg ruptures. I do appreciate your helpful input, though.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Reason: Wanted to reply to jewbrew, too.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #67
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Originally Posted by dudasaj
Physics 101. Steam occupies 1000x the the volume as water. Additionally all gases expand with temperature. Therefore increased internal frame pressure along with slight weakening of the welds at high temperature could theoretically result in a failure/rupture.

If you are going to get technical about water....a droplet of water expands 1700 times its original volume at 212* F and continues to expand exponentially as the temperature increases......Im just a dumb fireman and know that. Relax with your snappy comments man.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #68
onelegout
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That is a good point actually, with gas burner systems, the brewstands to get VERY hot... I would expect them to get close to the same temp as the lip of the keg, which as the exploding kegs thread shows, can be very dangerous! Best to be safe and drill a small hole to release pressure just in case

Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde 4% APA
Kegerator: Henry's Haus Pale Ale 4.5% PA
Bottled: 'Wooly Jumper' 5.08%ABV Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: 'Weissbeater' 5.2%ABV Weiss
Bottled: 'Maypole' 4.5%ABV Dark Ale

Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #69
EarthBound
Recipes 

Yep, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #70
dudasaj
Dude
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Physics 101. Steam occupies 1000x the the volume as water. Additionally all gases expand with temperature. Therefore increased internal frame pressure along with slight weakening of the welds at high temperature could theoretically result in a failure/rupture."

Please highlight the snappy part of the reply? I admit my volume factor was inaccurate, but I was just trying to offer a little insight for someone who has never worked on saturated steam systems. The point I was trying to make was the potential pressure that could build up in that main cross beam at high temperatures.

Quick Reply