Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My 3-Teir Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Apoxbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My 3-Teir Build

So I decided to build a 3-teir, staircase style brew stand recently and with the help of a friend got started this weekend. We got all the bones put together (for the most part). Next comes finishing welds - still needs the kettle and burner supports - along with LPG plumbing, casters, paint prep (lots of grinding and sanding), and paint.

Anyway, thought I'd post some pics. Will post more as more is completed. Hope to brew on the thing by January... at this point it's about time to work on it as the coming holidays will be eating mass quantities of spare time.

BTW - If anyone has suggestions on paint that can withstand the heat of a banjo burner, please let me know. The friend who helped me with this has his own single teir and his "high-temp" paint burned off after the first couple uses. Obviously something more durable is needed for the type of heat coming off the bajos.

Quote:
Here's the pre-cut steel. I got 96' of 1.5" thin wall square steel tubing. This, obviously, isn't new material. I got it for $0.60/ft

Quote:
My buddy welding on a leg to the first tier.

Quote:
Here's the first teir welded up. It's missing the casters. Burner will be located on the far right side there. The area to the left of the burner will be a table top (not sure what surface I'll use yet). First teir will be 22" off the ground to accommodate filling of carboys.

Quote:
Me doing some welding on second tier. This project is my first experience with welding. LOL

Quote:
Here's the second tier completed.

Quote:
Here's the third tier completed.

Quote:
So I designed that third tier to be removable so it could store smaller. It'll be secured with pins in either location and the kettles will all store side-by-side on top. Doesn't save a ton of space, but it saves a little bit anyway.

More pics to come as project moves along!

On Tap - The Tunguska Event, Cream Ale
On Tap - Devastated Sky, CDA
On Tap - Fallow Fields, Autumn Ale
On Tap - East Creek Sour Wheat, Sour Wheat Ale
Fermenting - Nothing :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So here's where we're at so far. Still a lot of grinding & sanding to do to clean the things up and get ready for paint.

I also decided I need to weld a couple vertical support bars on that first tier... that's a 66" span without any support in the middle and will be a lot of weight when kettles are full. So that'll happen in the next few weeks. I also need to weld in a cross-support on the second tier next to the burner so that when I take the 3rd tier off I can set a kettle there (i.e. all 3 kettles will store side by side).

After the grinding & sanding will be adding the afore mentioned supports as well as welding burner and gas line brackets. Then it's time to paint. Very exciting!!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Mtitus6
Recipes 

Looks like a great start. This is exactly the kind of stand I am hoping for one day. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Any details you can post would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks!

Not sure what details you're looking for... happy to share though. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Here's some generals:

Each burner "section" is 22"x22"x22" so total length and height is 66". I'm using 25gallon megapots so that's the reason for those measurements. They're 20" in diameter and 20" tall.

We cut the steel using a chop saw with a metal cutting blade and welded using a basic 110 Mig.

I'll take some more pics today as over the weekend the kettle supports were all welded in. At this point we have some touch-up welding to do (we're not great welders so there's some welds we want to go back over), and some final grinding and then sanding the entire thing. Might do that this weekend and will post more pics at that time.

Paint will go on next month (hopefully), and the 3 burners in early January. I have one burner already and might put that in sooner rather than later, but at the very least, I hope to brew on the completed rig before the end of January.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm sure it's even a little overbuilt but hey, welding practice. You could also make the center tier the highest and just put hinges on the top tier right where it sits in the compact position.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i wasn't paying attention to the post dates bobby so don't know how long ago you mentioned your paint... still holding up good? i was going to use your 2 + 2 coats of exhaust paint method.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, my paint is holding up well. The key is to not use a low temp primer. You have to go with header paint on bare metal or it will flake off due to failure of the base layer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Marshall081
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why are you going from your single tier with pumps to a 3 tier?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i'm not. this is my first stand. haven't ever had a single tier.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Mtitus6
Recipes 

Those are great details...thanks.
How did you square everything up? Did you use dado cuts on your corners?
For someone who hasn't welded do you think it was fairly simple or would you recommend hiring a pro?

Quick Reply