Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > The MaxOut Brew Station

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #51
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How is a stagnant gel pack going to control fermentation temps? Fine but not necessary for a kegerator, but simply not the best option for a fermenter.

_

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #52
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The gel pack can control ambient temps, so it controls fermentation over multiple vessels. There are lots of ideas on how to handle it with a single vessel, but when dealing with multiple vessels, I like the idea of monitoring semi-ambient conditions. The gel pack provides a little slower response, so opening the door doesn't automatically make the compressor come on but it will respond to the heat dumped into the fridge by the fermentation cycles of all your vessels. Control the ambient and the vessels will follow. It'd be interesting to have a data logger monitor the temp of a vessel using this method, but I don't have the setup to do a comparison.

Oh and Maxout...PROST!
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #53
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42

The gel pack can control ambient temps, so it controls fermentation over multiple vessels. There are lots of ideas on how to handle it with a single vessel, but when dealing with multiple vessels, I like the idea of monitoring semi-ambient conditions. The gel pack provides a little slower response, so opening the door doesn't automatically make the compressor come on but it will respond to the heat dumped into the fridge by the fermentation cycles of all your vessels. Control the ambient and the vessels will follow. It'd be interesting to have a data logger monitor the temp of a vessel using this method, but I don't have the setup to do a comparison.

Oh and Maxout...PROST!
Thank you, I like the gel idea. I was going to use the data logging feature on the BCS and place a probe in each vessel and one in ambient. I have three separate fermentations going on in there now and getting ready to be four today. Ive been watching the strips on the buckets nut they seem to all be the same? Problem is I do not have a hole for the probe in existing fermenting vessel's and don't dare try to mod the lid in the middle of a fermentation. I will start with the new batch that will go in today and see what happens.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #54
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can you tell us where you got the color coded rings for your hoses and a where you got the burner ignitors?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #55
Tarheel4985
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

What insulation did you use on the temperature sensor cables? It looks like mesh/fiberglass but I'm curious where you sourced it. We are having some heat issues with our sensors and other wiring, so I'm looking for something to protect it from the heat.

• Secondary 2:
  • Bottled:
  • Kegged 1: American Amber
  • Kegged 2: Arrogant Bastard Clone
  • Kegged 3: Apfelwein
  • Kegged 4: Coffee Porter

Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #56
android
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well... go big or go home, right? very rad build and setup there my friend!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #57
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel4985
What insulation did you use on the temperature sensor cables? It looks like mesh/fiberglass but I'm curious where you sourced it. We are having some heat issues with our sensors and other wiring, so I'm looking for something to protect it from the heat.
I bought the braided wire sleeve on eBay -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-4-B...o#ht_500wt_722

To be honest I would look around for actual fiberglass sleeve as this is flame retardant at best. If you are looking for good heat insulation they sell the fiberglass stuff in a tape that you can just wrap around the wires. I've used in on exhaust headers and is probably a better solution if you have serious heat. This stuff I used looks good and adds a little flame retardant but not suitable for extreme heat shielding. The link is to the stuff I used and will get you in the ball park as they offer a million types.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #58
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel4985 View Post
This is the high temp fabric I used to wrap my wires that were going to be around my burners. I put cheap electric ignitors on my burners and used this fabric to cover it. The fabric is right next to the flame and my burners put out some flame! This fabric works great and it comes in all different sizes and lengths.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-4-H...fAudioQ5fVideo

Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Can you tell us where you got the color coded rings for your hoses and a where you got the burner ignitors?
The rings on the hoses are just colored zip ties. The igniters I got from a local HVAC supply company, I can give you their name and number if you like. They were the Honeywell Q3450 Intermittent Hot Surface Ignition With pilot. I couldn't find a "deal" on the igniters I think they were around $70.00 each. Work really well and light every time no matter what.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #60
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

DUDE that is freaking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Quick Reply