Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Mash Mixer that heats!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
DavidW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've also been looking into building a mash stirrer for my 10 gallon set up , have a look at this site for information

http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/sparging.htm

David

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Lol

That is too funny. That Bukin link is what got me started on this idea, as well as Pritchard's.

Stainless is expensive so I was willing to chance this part of the project up to well soldered copper rigid tubing and fittings. I read an article about a guy that built a mash stirrer the same way he just didn't heat it or the tun (wish I could find that article again, like a couple of years back). I also wanted the better heat transfer properties of the copper (who knows, when all is said and done with the copper I might be able to run the element on 100% with the pulse width modulator without scorching anything, but I am planning on 50-75%).

As far as the gear on the top of the tube, I will let my machine shop friend have a look at how we should gear down this motor I bought and some of the other "make it work" kinds of things. He is the one that suggested I just drop in a element down a hollow tube and turn its OD with a gear. My first design had turntable connections and elements in every paddle, it was very over-ambitious and I couldn't think how to simplify. Basically his idea is to have the tubing end outside the lid with a male NPT threaded fitting, that way we can simply find the "right" gear for the speed (we will experiment with) and screw it on. I agree that a slower speed would be wanted, I was thinking just fast enough to not hot-side aerate. Lol, uh oh, test batch of possible swill in the future. How long is that first mash rest going to last with all that "trying things" going on?

You guys are really causing me to double think some things, and I really do appreciate having to reprove the "possibilities" to myself. I really just needed a challenging project, and I have found one. You guys are great and please keep the constructive criticism coming. I will definitely photo document this thing from start to finish. Now I just need to learn how to get the dang pictures on here, lol.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

A lot of people are suggesting using an electric ice cream maker motor. They are low rpm, and have enough torgue to crank frozen ice cream.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #14
MadWeezel
Recipes 

what kind of motor did you get? and what are you planning to put all this on top of?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #15
WortMonger

Recipes 

Default Motor

The motor is for a garage door opener, and everything goes on or through a lid that fits the top of my mash tun.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #16
Gregg Meyer

Recipes 

I have built a few radio controlled air planes in the past and the RC world has allot of planetary geared motors that are well made small and have a ton of torque to drive the prop what in essence is an air screw. I would look into 1/4 scale glider stuff for a test motor. Yes this stuff is expensive but like they say,
education is expensive and pioneers have allot of arrows in their back. Hopfully not enough to kill the idea. That can happen too. Hopfully I have helped. There are a ton of RC sites you can visit to get the motor you may want to try. many of those small motors are hand wound and that is why the expense is there.

G,

Old 02-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
WortMonger

Recipes 

Default Motor

Thanks for the motor info, but that cut into my idea of automation w/o the heavy cost. My motor arrived yesterday and it should be easy enough to find or make a gear that will work on the worm screw that is on its drive shaft. My friends machine shop is loaded with nylon for hydraulics and his dad mentioned nylon would be perfect for the job with no lube necessary. The motor delivered was only $20ish and stepping it down with gears from 1650 rpm to turning the paddle shaft of 30-60rpm. It requires extra wiring for using it as a gear motor but they actually included this wiring diagram for doing so. Thanks by the way to the one that led me to that science supply site, or maybe I should shout in anger at you for the endless ideas for more projects that came from viewing the site. Talk about not getting sleep and things wizzing around in your brain. You guys are great though, and the little hobby motor(though expensive) may play into someone elses ideas and work for them. Thanks and lets keep more ideas coming. I am ordering my element this weekend from Mcmaster-Carr unless I can find a cheaper supplier, so hopefully next week I will start this project. Can't wait to become a memeber so I can post the pics from this project.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #18
ducasir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wondering if anyone can give some input on if this motor would be up to the task?

18 RPM CW Rotation High Torque 75 lb-in

Curious what amount of torque is needed to mix the mash. Sure it's going to depend on the brew, but there must be an average, right?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #19
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I posted this one yesterday. I use it for my HLT though....

STIR MOTOR

I don't see how you will be able to heat up to 170 degrees with such a small element.

Since the wort needs to be recirculated anyways why not just go with a HERMS or RIMS to adjust the temp of the mash. It will be much simpler to set up.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
ducasir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I spoke with the nice guy who built Gary Spykman's SIMM Brewery. He told me the motor that he uses is a

Quote:
GE gear-motor. It turns at 37.8 RPM, 35 inch-pounds of torque.
. He also went on to say the largest mash that he sees in his notes,
Quote:
the barleywine I made a few years back used 19 pounds of grain

Quick Reply