Jet Burner Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I have a Brutus 10 that I just used today for the first time and I ran into an issue with the BK burner. This burner was the only one I used because I am waiting on the other 2 pots to complete the project. I have a 23 tip jet burner and I seem to not be able to get a vigorous boil, which seemed really odd. I only get a small rolling boil. I have to turn the flame down so that the flames dont shoot out past the bottom of the pot, but the bottom gets plenty of coverage.

I use proane with a Low Pressure regulator and the jet burner ordered was for low pressure. The flames reach out 2-3 inches from the tips.

I am at a loss as to why I am not able to get a really good boil going. Any ideas?

Thanks

Just one off of the top, but did you turn both the regulator & the tank off, and then turn on the tank followed by the regulator?

The new opd tanks limit the gas outflow if it thinks it has fell over, etc. Definitely can cause this problem.

Cheers,
Dan F.
LAGERS/ FOSSILS

You are not the first to have issues with these multi-jet burners. You said you had to turn the burner down which doesn't make sense if you weren't getting enough heat to reach a strong boil. The flames from the jets should look about like a propane torch does. They should be forceful and blue with very little yellow flame. You may need to rig a heat shield to protect the kettle valve, sight tube and thermometer if the kettle is so equipped. A lot of guys have found it necessary to remove some of the jets and plug the holes in order to tame the damn things to where they are usable. I don't have one, but I've seen them in action and I am not convinced these burners are a good choice. You will find some others that love them, so there are obviously varying opinions as usual.

They should be forceful and blue with very little yellow flame. You may need to rig a heat shield to protect the kettle valve, sight tube and thermometer if the kettle is so equipped.

My flames are definitely not foreceful and are mostly yellow.

Are you sure the burner was low pressure propane instead of natural gas? Post a link to the burner if you can.

My flames are definitely not foreceful and are mostly yellow.

OK, that indicates one of two things could be wrong. Either you have a burner designed for natural gas or you have tripped the excessive flow cutoff valve. Some Brutus designs use a gas rail configuration. It may take a substantial amount of gas to pressurize the rail. If you open the tank valve quickly, the sudden rush of gas into the rail will trip the excess flow cut off valve in the connector to the tank. This is another recently added safety device. So, the fix is to open the tank valve slowly and pressurize the gas rail or the gas line before you open the ball valve and light the burner. Worst case, disconnect the tank connector and start over from scratch. Hook it back up and with the ball valve closed and just crack the tank valve. Wait a few seconds for the line to pressurize. Once pressurized you can fully open the tank valve without tripping the excess flow cutoff valve. Then proceed to open the ball valve some and light the burner. If you still have a low and yellow flame I would suspect you have a NG burner and the jet orifices are too big. I doubt that is the case, but it could be. Post back and let us know if this fixes it.

Just tried what you suggested Cat22 and they work great. Although I think I either need to install heat sheilds or start plugging a few of the tips. I will definitely not have a problem getting a vigorous boil now.

Thanks for all the information and help in this thread.:rockin:

Back