Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > How to make this turkey fryer work

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
skydog4884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to make this turkey fryer work

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/a...ydog4884/Beer/

Hey i have been using this turkey fryer but found some kegs to start using. How can i make this fryer work without modding the fryer because its my fathers and he still wants to be able to use it as a turkey fryer, i dont know why he would want to do that but....? but how can i make the keg fit better so i dont loose to much heat and the keg wont fall off with 7 gal of boiling wort. I was thinking about cutting 3 small slits around the bottom just to bend out the bottom edges of the kegs so it brace would fit real nicely into the bottom of the keg? ideas, comments please. I dont know if i want to buy a new fryer or burner yet cuz i just spent a lot on an IC, two kegs, and a mash tun. but what are some good ideas if i decided to purchase a new burner. ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You're going to have to remove the entire metal frame on the stand to get the keg close enough for the burner to do any good. I'm afraid you'll just have to pick up another burner/stand combo to work with your kegs.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Adam78K
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea I agree with above. The stand doesn't look like it will hold the keg very well.

On Deck Ryed Up Kolsch

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could make an intermediate grate to place on the fryer stand that would support the keg.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboeuf View Post
You could make an intermediate grate to place on the fryer stand that would support the keg.
You could do this. I'm not convinced you will get real good efficiency from the burner at that height though. And when you add more to the frame, it will only get worse. Perhaps if you could also raise the flame shield, but I don't know how that would affect the flame.

I'd suggest looking at a new burner and making a new stand. Or check craigslist for a used burner or used fryer setup.

Edit: Actually, what I would do is modify the stand to accept the kegs and build an adapter for the turkey fryer. IF your father approves. BUT you will need to make DAMN SURE that they turkey fryer will not fall over. For me, it's not worth the risk. Boiling wort is one thing. Blazing inferno of boiling oil is something entirely different.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Boy, that looks like it puts the burner a long way from the kettle. For that matter, it looks like it would put it a long ways from your turkey pot!

At this point, I think you'd be rebuilding that whole thing to get what you want. You should have a beefier base, and you want your burner much closer to the pot. Realistically, you should be able to remanufacture the whole thing and still use it as a turkey fryer, so long as you don't size it so that the turkey pot won't fit. On the other hand, I got a turkey fryer and 7.5 gallon pot for $20, so I think if you keep your eyes open, watch for sales and watch your local craigslist, you might find what you need. A lot of people buy these, thinking it will be a much easier and quicker way to make that thanksgiving bird, but then aren't happy with it the first time they use it, so they either sell them or give them away.

I also know that I've seen some smaller, 'steamer' setups where it is the same burner as the turkey fryer, but with a much smaller pot, for pretty cheap new. This might be an option for you as well.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Now that I actually looked at the picture.... disregard my comment above

fermentation cabinet
minifridgerator

Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

can you remove the burner? The first full boil i did was with a friend's "tamale steamer" basically is was a piece of large pipe (14") with a hole cut in it where a loose burner sat(on a shelf). I'm not recommending using a loose burner but maybe just build/find something else to use as a stand and bot the burner to it.

depending on your $$ i got my turkey fryer for 40$ off of cl. It was never used so the pot was good to go.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
skydog4884
Recipes 

well a smaller turkey pot fits in the brace or bracket just fine. its the keg that is just a little to big to fit in the area its suppose to. I looked to see if i could just use the burner but it would take cutting off the metal brackets which not sure if i want to do yet. what if i wanted to go with a bigger better burner but not to high tech. what would be a few options but not overly expensive?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What capabilities do you have?
Can you weld or do you have access to someone who welds?
Is pops okay with a modification to the burner?

If he is ok with mods to the burner, just do them in a way that his turkey pot still fits on the burner. There isn't any reason he can't use it to fry turkeys on it after you mod it to fit a keggle.

I wish I could remember the site I saw those burners for 8 bucks. Then you could just build the stand to your needs and leave his burner alone. Even if they aren't 8 bucks I would look into just a burner replacement. From what I have seen, any pre-made turkey burner is gonna need to be modded so it is a bit more safe or so it will hold a keggle.

Quick Reply