Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > The great stainless single tier begins!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know it is typically rude to talk "money" with people, but we have this great electronic barrier so I figure I can ask.

How much do you expect the materials to cost for this rig? I am planning my rig for when I return from Iraq and I would like to be able to consider stainless as an option, but I am unfamiliar with the price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
SirBC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After I did my first brew on my $$$ Morebeer sculpture, the one thing that bugged me was that the pumps had no covers. So I like the "pumps with covers" detail.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHatPat View Post
I know it is typically rude to talk "money" with people, but we have this great electronic barrier so I figure I can ask.

How much do you expect the materials to cost for this rig? I am planning my rig for when I return from Iraq and I would like to be able to consider stainless as an option, but I am unfamiliar with the price.
Well if you were to build it out of all tube like most do the 1.5"x1.5"x.125" wall tube goes for around $8-$9 per foot right now, the 12 gauge stainless sheet is about $10 per square foot when you buy an entire sheet, price would go up with smaller quantities and also cut charges apply. If you were to go to a welding shop with a drawing and have them build the entire thing for you out of stainless i would think it would be in the $1000+ range with windscreens, caster wheels etc, and a bare mill finish(no polishing etc)typical hourly rate at a welding shop is about $75-$125 an hour(higher end if tig welding). But if you can cut and weld all the pieces for your stand i would say youd have about $500 in it with all of your materials and supplies, and another $100+ into supplies for sanding and polishing if you allready have the tools to do so.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
After I did my first brew on my $$$ Morebeer sculpture, the one thing that bugged me was that the pumps had no covers. So I like the "pumps with covers" detail.

you know honestly these pumps do not need covers, they are rated for high temps and are a sealed mag drive motor anyway so theres no exposed electric connections etc, im really just putting them on there for more bling factor, more polished stainless=more bling

Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #15
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well i got some more done today, i bent all of the parts on the press brake today for the stand, will be punching all of the holes in the windscreens in the morning so i can drop them off to get rolled into rings when i pick up the tubing, i should be all ready to go for welding it together on saturday, heres a few pictures

beast of a press brake, picked this one since its the most precise, and that it took 170 tons to bend the 67" piece of stainless in a small "V" die, this is a 14' 200 ton machine

heres the front panel portion of the stand

the center dividers between burners

the ends

Tomorrow night i will be notching the parts i bent so they will fit together and will be ready to weld

Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
ratfarmer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whoa!
I'll be watching this one!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Gotta watch this build.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

subscribed. your workplace must be pretty cool, letting you use all the machines for personal projects. Looks like its going to turn out awesome.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
FishFace
Recipes 

That looks awesome. I was going to have my centered dropped for more space, but in the end had to lift when I realized that when wheeling, I need more clearance. The low-rider wasn't going to work for me, so I had to lift the thing. Can't wait to see pictures.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
FishFace
Recipes 

Pump covers - I just formed some acrylic around mine. All I needed was a heat gun. I'll take some pictures and post them. My brew rig is under constant upgrading.

Quick Reply