Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Garage home brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #81
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
It is ground moisture. I had that same problem coming through the cracks in my basement floor before I installed a second sump well.
ONLY one fix for that. NEW SLAB with a proper vapor barrier. Too bad so much other work has been completed. gonna be a real shame to have to do most of it over again.

Good luck.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #82
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I'm impressed. It all looks fantastic and I hope you can find a to fix the floor, maybe a sump pump with French drain to reduce the water level under the area?

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #83
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That sucks. You might be able to put a sump in, that might reduce the moisture coming up, but if your groundwater is close to the surface it won't be worth it...the pump will be running all of the time. The only time I've experienced that is when water would come into our basement...not just moisture, actual water. After it would drive we'd have white crystals or powder on the floor.

It's been an especially wet summer, have you had significant rains that may be causing the groundwater to rise and effectively TRYING to come up through your floor?

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #84
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So not really sure if its water/heat/chemicals that caused the problem. The entire garage was sealed up over the weekend where it was both hot and then rained..... Regardless... I have to do something and I dont think the epoxy is going to cut it. I think we are going to move forward and on to the ceiling. I was going to wait for the floor to be hardened before I went to put a ladder all over it to put up the insulation but we need to make some sort of progress this week so it looks like insulation it is.

So I am looking at our options for the floor....

Tear up the $200 worth of epoxy and......

- pour more concrete?

- vapor barrier?

- Put in a raised floor made of wood with insulation inbetween?

Anyone care to chime in with there ideas? Lets assume its a water problem (worse case) .... What should we do, how do we do it, why will it work the best...

*pulls hair out more*

Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #85
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1. Was the paint you used the concrete waterproofing/sealant type? If not, maybe try using that stuff...I've heard it works very well.

2. You could build a subfloor, at least in the area around your brew rig. Finish it with tile and have it pitch to a drain in the subfloor. That way you could clean up the area and possible spills easily...it would be easy to clean and wouldn't have the potential to absorb liquid.

Otherwise, wait it out and see how the floor holds up. Are you in a low area? Any streams or open water from rain nearby that would give you an indication of groundwater depth? From my experience, concrete breathes naturally but this doesn't result in crystal/mineral deposition, more likely from actual water coming in...I could be wrong though, just ask my wife.

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #86
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

the way to test if its moisture is to remove a small area of the epoxy first.then take a piece of clear plastic can be Saran wrap and tape all around the edge to the floor and just let it sit a couple of days. If you have condensation and the cement turns dark then you have moisture.

depending on ceiling height I would put down a vapor barrier frame the floor out with PT wood and insulate with blue board then lay a floor. I did this in my basement 5 years ago and its dry as a bone.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #87
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illin8 View Post

2. You could build a subfloor, at least in the area around your brew rig. Finish it with tile and have it pitch to a drain in the subfloor. That way you could clean up the area and possible spills easily...it would be easy to clean and wouldn't have the potential to absorb liquid.
I think this is a great idea. Turn your lemons into lemonade buy putting in a subfloor with insulation and piping for drains. A lot of breweries use floor drains because ALL breweries have spills. Then tile it or possibly epoxy over the subfloor if that's possible (never used epoxy).

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #88
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2813 Times on 2758 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm129 View Post
I think this is a great idea. Turn your lemons into lemonade buy putting in a subfloor with insulation and piping for drains. A lot of breweries use floor drains because ALL breweries have spills. Then tile it or possibly epoxy over the subfloor if that's possible (never used epoxy).
I second the raised floor. Easy enough run drainage pipes. Can you just bust a large hole in the slab and run lines to for a drain? I'm no construction expert thats for sure!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #89
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Could you just put a vapor barrier down and then put a thin layer of concrete over top, perhaps that leveling stuff? Seems like that would be just as good as a vapor barrier+wood but you'd have the durability benefits of concrete.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is the stupidest idea ever.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #90
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
Could you just put a vapor barrier down and then put a thin layer of concrete over top, perhaps that leveling stuff? Seems like that would be just as good as a vapor barrier+wood but you'd have the durability benefits of concrete.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is the stupidest idea ever.
This would be a HUGE waste of money and time. eventually the "Thin layer of concrete on top would chip away and you would have a HUGE mess.

You have to either remove the moisture or make damned sure it does not pass through. once it does like this your screwed.

The Ultimate fix:
1. rent a concrete saw an is remove the existing slab up to the foundation walls and footers
2. Excavate the soil under it down about 10 inches.
2a. while there, install floor drains
3. lay a thick bed of good gravel and stone, 4 - 6" thick and compact it
4. then good thick a vapor barrier,
5. re-pour the concrete with a good re-bar and at least 4" thick. The you can wait till it cures a while and seal it, stain it or epoxy it.

Oh don't forget to pull permits.....

Baring that, I would go the raised floor on top of a GOOD vapor barrier and a wood floor. knowing that you will always have a moisture issue under the wood that will eventually soak it up and cause other issues.

This really sucks. I would like to say I would have investigated the slab better, but who would think to do that. Maybe this is a GOOD lesson. especially for slabs and garages we move into and don't build ourselves. You never know what you have if you didn't build it yourself.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Quick Reply