Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Fusion weld? OR Wire weld?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
willynilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Fusion weld? OR Wire weld?

Are you guys fusion welding, or using wire feed when welding your SS stands? Which one and why? Here is mine with fusion welds, THIRD photo is after HF cleaning.

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mya...913538000.jpeg

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mya...913563000.jpeg

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mya...013069000.jpeg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure what you're asking. ALL welding, by definition, fuses the pieces being welded.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There is a difference between running a bead with a wire, and pure fusion welding, where you use no wire, no filler.

Using the wire means a longer weld time, more heat, more warping. Using wire, the filler, is also typically a more superficial weld and is easier to break than a pure fusion weld that only uses material from the two pieces being welded.

Just curious what people are using on their SS stands, and why.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The term for joining material with the heliarc (tig) or oxy fuel process without adding filler material is "autogenous" welding (ö′täj·ə·nəs ′weld·iŋ). Adding filler metal should speed the process up a bit and the welds themselves should be stronger that the ones without filler.

That being said, you finished structure is only as strong as the thinnest cross section. Which if your using square tube and adding filler should be the heat affected zone adjacent to the weld.

If your making an autogenous weld it will be the weld itself, this is due to the fact they will be somewhat undercut (caused by melting without additional material) and weakened from the heat.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hrmm, my welder friend has been doing SS welding for 20 years and said that the no filler weld was a deeper weld and would be stronger. He also said that using the wire creates MORE heat and more warping... hmm

His rationale for the NON filler weld being stronger was that it joined the two pieces deeper than the filler weld would go.

I dunno, I think I can park my car on it in either case... just curious.

60' of SS tubing $100
Welding FREE
HF cleaning FREE
Casters $100

Not bad for a $200 stand!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

How about a pic of the welds?

IMO, you are right and you are wrong. Adding wire or filler to a weld does not in any way make it superficial. If that were the case, then TIG or resistance welding would be the only methods used. Why would any other method be needed? Ok, I guess there are some other like blast welding and the such.... A fusion weld could also be looked upon as a cold weld. There is nothing to give it strength. Depending on the thickness and whether or not you fuse the back of the joint or not. You can or can not also fuse all the way through the material in question. Several factors involved here. A fusion weld is also very prone to having undercut in the weld ment which is a weak spot.

In any case, a weld is only as strong as the thinnest material. No need in putting a 1/2" fillet on 18 gauge material. IME, the process makes a big difference in the amount of warping seen in the project. For example, I see less warping in a TIG weld vs a MIG weld. This is based on not properly tacking the part to compensate for the heat input. Also, TIG welding in general is a much slower process then say MIG. You inadvertently put more heat into the part then just MIG welding it, which means you get much more even heating in the weld area hence the less warping. Anyone who has been around the different welding processes can vouch for the much more intense heating of the material being welded in the TIG process. At least that is my basic look into the process. You also need to look at how the project is welded. One weld can negate the last weld if done right and in the right order. One can also preload a beam or member to compensate for the weld shrinkage.

I would much rather have a weld WITH filler material then one without filler. This is one reason why there are weld specs that must be followed in any given drawing or spec called out by an engineer. Fusion welding in a sanitary environment is done more so because of the sanitary requirement. However this is also why the welds are polished off. That fancy finish on SS is not for looks. It is too meet FDA requirements on harbor-age of bacteria.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There are photos above. This place ONLY does sanitary welds/cleaning... which is how I got the HF cleaning for free.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
There are photos above. This place ONLY does sanitary welds/cleaning... which is how I got the HF cleaning for free.
I can't see the welds in your pics above.

Edit: So you added one now.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonti View Post
I can't see the welds in your pics above.
The third photo shows the welds too, but the HF makes them blend in with the rest of the SS, that photo has always been there. There are 3 welds on the third photo, but HF does a job on them.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #10
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
The third photo shows the welds too, but the HF makes them blend in with the rest of the SS
That and there is a end cap in the way.

What wall thickness is your tubing?
Do the welds look or feel like they are lower then the rest of the mating surfaces? What I mean is if there was a straight edge placed across the weld is it flush or does the weld sink down.

Quick Reply