Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Electric Teakettle RIMS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
horseinmay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Electric Teakettle RIMS

I had an idea, and wanted to throw it out there for discussion. I have an electric teakettle (1500Watt) and thought "now there is an electric heater already mounted with a base, and a cord and everything!" So I wanted to see if this would be a good idea to use as a RIMS grant. By installing a port in the lid, and another in the side, you could recirculate the mash wort through this device and ramp up mash temps, or even use it to raise to mash-out temps. The outlet would be installed so as to act as a weir, allowing the fluid to run out of the kettle via gravity, at or below the 'max fill' line on the kettle. I would place a thermometer in the return to the mash tun, and monitor temps that way. At first, I think I would run it manually, just to see how it does. Later I could add a controller to turn the kettle on and off to regulate temps.

kettle.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i love the outside of the box thinking, but a couple challenges come to mind.

How do you "seal" the kettle. It needs to be a closed vessel in and out port so that you can pump wort thru it, unless you go to some overflow system but that just sounds messy.

Also, temperature control, how are you turning on and off the element?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
horseinmay
Recipes 

Good questions.

It won't be sealed. That's the point of setting up the overflow device. That will allow it to fill to a certain level, and then pour off, back into the mash tun. It's more like a grant than a RIMS "tube."

As for temperature control, I was going to try it out first, and see how it functions manually before moving into anything more complex.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Any results? Still sounds interesting, I just dont know how well an overflow mechanism would function as you would want to be pumping thru the element at a fairly high rate.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you would be displacing the already small volume of water with the tubing and I would be worried about the ability of the given volume of water to heat a decent sized mash with a reasonable effectiveness.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
horseinmay
Recipes 

I haven't built it yet, but will address your questions.

I had anticipated that I would want to run the wort through at a pretty good rate to prevent scorching. I think I would make a full bore 1/2" port right below the 'max fill' line on the teakettle. This would allow for wort to flow via gravity back into the mash tun. (I think I plan to set this on top of the tun while it recirculates. There is a port cut through the top of the cooler) I haven't decided which fittings to use yet, as I haven't been to the hardware store recently. I just had this kettle, and it got me to thinking.

There won't be anything occupying the interior of the kettle except for the inner part of the fittings I'll be using. No displacement from tubing or anything like that. The capacity is 1.7 liters, which is more than any RIMS tubes I have seen. They usually hold less than a quart of fluid.

Tinga, this is not a HERMS. there will not be a coil inside the teakettle. Wort will be recirculated directly in contact with the element, which is probably high density. I'll have to check on that, and may need to use very high flow rates to keep from scorching. With that in mind, I may need to do something to allow for that high flow rate without compacting the mash.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseinmay View Post
Tinga, this is not a HERMS. there will not be a coil inside the teakettle. Wort will be recirculated directly in contact with the element, which is probably high density. I'll have to check on that, and may need to use very high flow rates to keep from scorching. With that in mind, I may need to do something to allow for that high flow rate without compacting the mash.
My mistake.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Indian_villager
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry to wake up a dead thread, but what would be the feasibility of using one of these for a kitchen top HERMS. I am a tea fiend so I was already thinking of having a PID controlled tea kettle to set the temps for green and white teas. But realistically it would not take much to submerge some copper coil and have a recirc pump in one of these.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Regards,

Alex J

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
horseinmay
Recipes 

I never got around to building this, but would be glad to talk you through it. I had planned to use it as more of a RIMS device, where you pump the wort into the kettle, and it would pour over a weir back into the mash tun. Maybe it could sit on top of, or above the tun during the mash, so the wort would pour directly back into the mash via some tubing. This is similar to a RIMS grant that someone on here built a while ago, since it's an open vessel, and not a closed tube.
I'm pretty sure it would be a hassle to install any copper tubing inside the teakettle.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 62

There's a guy who did this with some kind of steamer/rice cooker. There's a video and it's the Brewamigo or braumigo or something "amigo". Had PID control and everything.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply