Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Electric indoor brewers: What size (CFM) bathroom fan? (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Electric indoor brewers: What size (CFM) bathroom fan? (pics)

Question for you electric indoor brewers: What size (CFM) range hood or bathroom ceiling fan do you use?

My electric setup is in a basement coldroom that is very small: 5.6' wide, 11' long, 7' high. 60 sq feet of floor space, 430 cubic feet of air. There are two 4" diameter vents to the outside of the house. One will be used for air intake, the other will be attached to a bathroom ceiling fan directly above the boil kettle to exhaust to outside. It's only a 4 foot distance without bends so any CFM drop due to resistance should be minimal.

100 CFM enough? 200 CFM? More? Without actually doing a 10-15 gallon full wort boil for an hour or two, I have no idea what I'll need. The room has a solid core door between it and the rest of the house.

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Those pics make me feel drunk, do you have a special lens on there?

(Sorry, no real input from me on this one)
Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yup. Pictures were taken with an extreme wide angle lens (Canon 10-22mm EFS).

Kal

Old 05-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The tiled ceiling will sure help with moisture control, but I'd recommend you get an inexpensive kitchen hood with a fan and maybe even put a pull-fan at the outlet. Being electric you don't have to worry about CO2 or CO but I would try to remove as much moisture from your basement as possible so you don't end up with mold problems.

Very nice setup BTW.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
HellenicHomeBrewer
Recipes 

i LOVE those BoilerMakers!! :drool:

Primary #1: Vanilla Cream Stout
Primary #2: All Citra IIPA
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Bottled: Victory HopDevil Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Abbey Leffe Blonde
Keg: TBA

Old 05-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If it were me I would be looking at commercial sized vent hood fan, assuming the noise did not drive you nutty. Thinking its like taking a two hour hot shower and after, you realize that the typical bathroom vent fan just did not do the job. I would go with 400 CFM on a variable control (rheostat) switch, which is what I used when I had a commercial style kitchen hood in my old house. I'd also wear earbuds plugged into a walkman or ipod.

Also hopefully you have fresh air coming in and have not sealed up the door too tight. Nice looking brew room - do you have a floor drain so you hose the place down when
done brewing?

I really want that sink & commercial style faucet - any pricing/model info you can pass along- must have now! LOL

Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
airbalancer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The inline fan from vortex I just put in works great and its wisper quiet. With that smaller space I would use the 4" model. You can always put a cheap speed controller on it and dial it down. Better to have more fan then not enough.

Mike

Old 05-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
JZinNM
Recipes 

Nice setup! I would think a 100 cfm fan would be enough as it would provide an exchange of air every 5 minutes or so. However, this depends on where your air inlet is located. Is it located in the same hole as the outlet? If the inlet is too close to the outlet, you could "short circuit" your air flow and moisture could build up in the other areas of your brew room. Another consideration is that the outlet pipe will have very moist air flowing through it. You should slope the outlet pipe away from your fan. In other words, it is likely that water will condense in the outlet pipe, collect, and then flow. You don't want it to trickle back into the room and drip into your boil kettle when you turn off the fan.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Also hopefully you have fresh air coming in and have not sealed up the door too tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZinNM View Post
Nice setup! I would think a 100 cfm fan would be enough as it would provide an exchange of air every 5 minutes or so. However, this depends on where your air inlet is located. Is it located in the same hole as the outlet? If the inlet is too close to the outlet, you could "short circuit" your air flow and moisture could build up in the other areas of your brew room.
I've added a couple of photos to my original post to help see the big picture and answer your questions. Let me know what you think:

Quote:
Nice looking brew room - do you have a floor drain so you hose the place down when done brewing?
I installed have a drain (stack) for the sink but no floor drain unfortunately. It's something I would have really liked (so that I could simply hose things down and be done with) but that would require digging up part of the concrete floor to put in a trap and then retiling. Not worth it IMHO.

Quote:
I really want that sink & commercial style faucet - any pricing/model info you can pass along- must have now! LOL
The sink was bought locally (Canadian made) from a restaurant supply store. Brand name is Tarrison, model PS1-24. Here's a PDF: http://www.tarrison.com/catalog/cata...n_pg.16-21.pdf

Figure $300-400 USD for a single tube stainless sink, no faucet(s). Ebay has nice sinks too but being in Canada means that the shipping would have been insane so I bought the sink locally. Shipping within the US is typically very cheap for anything.

The pre-rinse unit with 12" facet is from B&K Resources out of the US. MOdel # BKF-VSMPR-WB-AF12. Link: https://bk-resources.c2.ixwebhosting...erinse%20Units
Bought off of ebay for ~$130. About 1/3 the price of buying locally even after you add in any extra taxes/fees/duties.

Kal

Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have a 160CFM range hood. I'd double that if I was to do it over again. On a 60 minute boil I get condensation on the hood itself, some steam also escapes around the outside.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply