Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > DIN rail power distribution: a how-to guide

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF View Post
And to clarify my thinking in a typical layout where do the contactors fit into the chain if you want an e stop that cuts power to the box?
I'm in the process of wiring one of these myself, so I haven't tried this yet, but this is how I'm thinking it would work...

You'd have a terminal block to accept power from one side of the 50a 240v service. Call that block 1. Block 1's only function is to provide power to the contactor's coil. Block 1 is first connected in series to a 1 amp fast-blow fuse, then the e-stop button, and then the e-stop button is connected in series to the positive side of the contactor coil. Then you'd need to run the negative side of the coil and tie it to the negative of the electrical current for the circuit to work right.

You'd have a second terminal block (block 2) that is electrically tied to block 1, and the output of that block would go to the one of the input legs (let's call it leg 1) of the contactor.

You'd have a block 3 to accept power from the other side of the 50a 240v service. Block 3 wires into the other side of the input legs (leg 2) of the contactor.

Now you'd take a wire from the output side of the contactor's leg 1 and wire THAT into block 4. Block 4 is now responsible for powering one side (120v) of the rest of the system.

Take a wire from the output side of the contactor's leg 2 and wire that into block 5. Block 5 is now responsible for powering the other 120v of the rest of the system.

And you'd also need a block for the neutral, for other neutral blocks to connect to.

That sound logical? I think so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

To switch 120V, you can use a 2-pole (DPDT) contractor with a 120V coil. One set of contacts switches the hot wire, the other acts as a latch for a momentary "ON" switch (N.O.). An E-stop (N.C.) in series with the coil overrides the latch.

To switch 240V, you can use a 3-pole contactor with 120V or 240V coil in a similar way to switch both hot wires.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF View Post
The original poster linked to and used the 6mm width 30 amp 22-10 wire gage blocks. If I was planning on bringing power in from my 50amp spa panel/disconnect on 6awg (6/4) wire would there be any issue other than cost with using the 10mm width 65 amp 20-6 wire blocks? http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/749/=m2v09c

Obviously I would have to get the matching end plates and jumper strips for those blocks.

And to clarify my thinking in a typical layout where do the contactors fit into the chain if you want an e stop that cuts power to the box?
I ordered the 6/4 blocks from McMaster in my current build since I have 6 ga wire coming in. I hope to get the DIN rail and everything mounted to it today. I ordered several black, red, white, and the yellow/green grounding blocks.
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale

Quick Reply