Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Dial thermometers in your sculpture??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Dial thermometers in your sculpture??

Do any of you folks who have built your breweing rigs use and anolog thermometer such as the bi-metal dials??

Any concern in using that kind.

Post pics if you have them thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Hogcrewer
Recipes 

Not sure why there would be a issue. People have been using them for years. The good thing about most of the ones that can be bought out of the sale catalogs is that there is a screw on the back to adjust the face. That way you can calibrate them(kind of).

I have one in my tun and HLT.

stand.jpg  

Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I no longer use any of the bi-metal type dial thermometers. I had an expensive one that turned out to be very unreliable regardless of how well and how often I calibrated it. I went digital and never looked back. I only wish I had done so much sooner.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

cat, do you us yours directly into mash, water or wort OR do you use a thermowell. Are yours fed back to a PID or plain display? RTD or termocouple?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I use a thermowell which is simply a section of 1/2" rigid copper pipe capped on the bottom and mounted vertically down into the mash. It is held in place by a wooden cross bar on top of the mash tun:

The orange thing is a piece of a fiberglass driveway marker I use to push the probe to the bottom of the thermowell and hold it in place. I'm running a semi-automatic direct fired RIMS. I use a Johnson A419 to control the burner and the probe for it is mounted on the output side of the pump. The digital thermometer monitors the mash temp and I adjust the controller as needed to achieve the desired mash temp. I say semi-auto as I still must adjust the flame level and the pump flow rate manually, but that's easy to do. The thermowell is fully adjustable vertically for various batch sizes. I have it mounted half way from the center of the tun to the outer wall and half way to the bottom of the grain bed. I figure this will give me a good indication of the average mash temperature. It's been working very well. I like the cross bar arrangement as it can be easily moved out of the way if necessary such as when stirring the mash. I did not like having a probe or thermowell coming in from the side as it got in the way when stirring and was not adjustable or well positioned.

Quick Reply