Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Converting burner from Propane to Natural Gas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
stevenryals
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Converting burner from Propane to Natural Gas

any ideas on how to do this so I can just work this off my house NG supply?

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: NBC JulyFly, Pliney the Elder
Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter
YTD Gallons Brewed: 155

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Brew_Weasel
Recipes 

I'm curious about this as well. Most residential gas service sits at 6-7" of water, or .22-.25psi. Propane burners operate at a much higher pressure.

Is this even possible? My gut feeling is "no" due to the port sizes, among other things.

There must be an expert on gas here somewhere..... or at least someone who has burned their eyebrows off and actually learned something because of it.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
anemic
Recipes 

I use a standard issue turkey fryer to boil 6+ Gallons of wort. I bored out the orifice and removed the regulator, since, as you mention house NG is already regulated. There is a $13 burner which looks like the hurricane style, wider diameter, broad distribution of burner holes, which looks like a good idea. I'm pretty happy with it, but I need to place the lid on a couple pieces of scrap molding to vent it in order to boil off whatever it is, but without the lid I fall off the boil. Hence the upgrade plan. I have a quick connect hose on my NG grill. I got the same quick connect for the turkey fryer.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

What type of burner are wanting to convert?, if it is the 4" high pressure type the after conversion output is about 30 - 40% on NG. If it is the 6" or 10" cast burners then a drill bit to increase the burner orifice size is about all that is needed. The main factor affecting burner output is higher the gas pressure the greater the ability to induce air into the burner mixer and produce more flame. Changing from high pressure LP gas may require increasing the piping sizes in your rig plumbing to reduce pressure drop to the burner, if you are at 1/2" pipe it should work fine on NG.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Check this out. It should help if you decide to do the switch. There is also a nice write up on BBQ conversions here which will give you a better understanding of what is involved.

I am using my Hurricane LP burner with NG and trying to dial it in, right now I have it getting a bit more NG than I want.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
stevenryals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks, thats all very interesting.. but from the looks of it.. i'll just stick with the LP lol..

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: NBC JulyFly, Pliney the Elder
Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter
YTD Gallons Brewed: 155

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Kalizonie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default No problem

I am an HVAC tech and I have converted my turkey fryers to natural gas and it works GREAT!! You have to get a a few fittings from LOWES or Home Depot to set up the gas line. You have to remove all regulators or timers and then drill out the propane orifice. It runs at a lower PSI so you need more volume thus the drilling out. I can give you set by step instructions if you want me to.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalizonie View Post
I am an HVAC tech and I have converted my turkey fryers to natural gas and it works GREAT!! You have to get a a few fittings from LOWES or Home Depot to set up the gas line. You have to remove all regulators or timers and then drill out the propane orifice. It runs at a lower PSI so you need more volume thus the drilling out. I can give you set by step instructions if you want me to.
I would be interested in the instructions. Thanks in advance!
Matt

Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Me too!!! I have a gas grill in the back yard that the previous owner setup. I would love to get a turkey fryer and hook it up to that NG line also.

Plus SWMBO would love it if I would quit stinking up the house with my BEER stuff.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I'll be the third to say I'd like some detailed directions as well. I have a gas line ran to the garage and the back deck and I'd love to stop paying for propane.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply