Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Control Panel Power Distribution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by illin8 View Post
Here's a question...follow me on this one. Could you set-up two of these 1-in/4-out power distribution blocks on 2 circuits sharing the same ground on one terminal?

Block A: Would service a 110v circuit with L1 (Hot), Neutral, and ground connected to it.
Block B: Would service a 240v circuit with L1, L2, and Neutral connected to it, but have the ground from this circuit shared with the ground on Block A?

Trying to figure out a way of incorporating 2 circuits without making a mess inside the control panel and keeping it clean. Since the 240v circuit is 30 amps and powering a 5,500 watt element, let's assume its a dedicated circuit to the element. Power/control for pumps, PID, HLT stirrer, etc. will be supplied by the 110v circuit rated for 20 amps.

Can one side of the distribution block be used for a ground? Can that ground be shared with other circuits provided the neutral is maintained separately? I'm pretty sure you can but in over-thinking things I always get myself confused...

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
Yeah you should be able to do that. Ground is ground.

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are insulated!!!!! With a ground, EVERYTHING must be bonded. Get separate ground bar, screw it directly to your metal enclosure, and bring all of your grounds to that.

You people really scare me. If you don't know what you are talking about, DON'T GIVE ADVICE! Sorry if that seems rude, but somebody is gonna get killed one of these days.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Bernie, thats exactly why I posed the question. i hadn't seen it done before, although it 'makes sense', I know better than to assume it is ok.

What if my control panel isn't a metal enclosure but a NEMA plastic box? Does it matter? The grounding bar doesn't have to be anything special right, will a bar from Home Depot do?

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Bernie, thats exactly why I posed the question. i hadn't seen it done before, although it 'makes sense', I know better than to assume it is ok.

What if my control panel isn't a metal enclosure but a NEMA plastic box? Does it matter? The grounding bar doesn't have to be anything special right, will a bar from Home Depot do?

That's fine. Use one similar to the one in PhotoPilots' pics. Just don't use it for anything but ground.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are insulated!!!!! With a ground, EVERYTHING must be bonded. Get separate ground bar, screw it directly to your metal enclosure, and bring all of your grounds to that.

You people really scare me. If you don't know what you are talking about, DON'T GIVE ADVICE! Sorry if that seems rude, but somebody is gonna get killed one of these days.
What are you ranting about? You told him the same thing we did. He asked if he could bring all the grounds together. Yes he can. That is what I said and you just said it too.

and yes it was kinda rude. I do know what I am talking about. I have worked as a commercial electrician and have done a ton of stuff with electronics too. So maybe explain yourself a bit more before shouting at people.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Quote:
You can use a standard ground bar from HD. You can use the distribution block you posted in the beginning too. You can't bond anything to plastic. So the fact that the distribution block is insulated is a null point. Make sure you have a good connection to ground at your panel. Also make sure you attach a ground to your kettles and anything else metal on your rig.

Get yourself a GFCI breaker or cord for this thing too.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. With all the safety concerns associated with electric rigs I think we all need to keep things in perspective on HBT. Some people bring more electrical experience than most, others (like myself) have a pretty decent understanding of it but need clarification on specific components. Threads on these topics are good avenues to sort out what can/can't and should/shouldn't be done. I respect the experience of others, which is the reason for the post in the first place and think it's a great way to get it out there for those trying to understand it. Sometimes responses may come across harsh but I respect them nonetheless, it comes from experience which is why the question is being asked...

My rig will have a 30amp GFCI cord connected to an existing 30amp dryer outlet with ground. The ground will be tied from the kettles back to the dryer outlet. I'm just trying to distribute the power cleanly without getting too complicated.

Quote:
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
What are you ranting about? You told him the same thing we did. He asked if he could bring all the grounds together. Yes he can. That is what I said and you just said it too.

and yes it was kinda rude. I do know what I am talking about. I have worked as a commercial electrician and have done a ton of stuff with electronics too. So maybe explain yourself a bit more before shouting at people.

well then one of us obviously misunderstood what he intended to do. I took it that he was going to bring all the grounds into one of the insulated lugs. Unless it is an isolated ground, you don't do that, because the equipment isn't bonded. If I was wrong in my interpretation, I apologize. But I don't think i interpreted it wrong.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What I had inquired about was taking one ground from one circuit and one ground from another and connect them to one lug (shared) of a distribution block. I wasn't going to use a metal enclosure but was planning on plastic (if it makes a difference).

Quote:

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Well that one lug if I looked at the picture correctly has one large hole and screw. (ground from panel) and distributes to 4 smaller screws. (ground to devices).

In that case you can connect 5 grounds to that one lug. That would be no different then using a ground bar from HD because the box is plastic. No need for the insulated lug to be grounded to the box. If it were a metal box you would want to take a leg from the lug and bond it to the box or use an un-insulated ground bar that is screwed directly to the box.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Well, when I saw it I assumed a metal enclosure. And he made no mention of running a pigtail to the box, so I assumed an unbonded box, which is not a good thing.

Quick Reply