Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > control box / enclosures - some tips for anyone considering it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

http://business.shop.ebay.com/Constr...=p3286.c0.m282

or similar???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts

I'll look at the punches, but getting the right size might be a problem.

The switches need a hole about 3/4" by 1/2".

However, it will probably just be cheaper to buy new round switches and drill holes.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
paledragon
Recipes 

i used this to make holes for 22mm switches on a nema 1 metal enclosure.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ic_size/109225

mounting the 2 PID's on my enclosure was a pain. i used the metal dremel tool. for power receptacles, i used the 22.5mm punch, and ran 1/2" plastic conduit to outlet boxes mounted on the brew stand. it was much easier than attempting to cut and mount them on the enclosure itself.

p.d.

keg 1: 3 hearted ale
keg 2: british strong ale
keg 3: munich helles
keg 4: empty

on deck: more IPA.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
Walker

Recipes 

Yeah, I was just looking at some round switches on mouser.com, and they need a 20mm hole. Close enough to 0.75", but I don't have a drill bit that size. So, even if I change over to round switches I am still going to have to buy another tool of some sort.

What I found was faster than just using the dremel for long straight lines was to use the dremel to get a slot cut through the metal, and then insert a hack saw blade through the slot and start cutting with the saw. I did this last night and it went OK. Cutting with the saw was much faster than cutting with the dremel.

I might try to use the same trick tonight, but use my jigsaw instead of a hand-saw. I did not do that last night because I tend to cut less than straight lines with my jigsaw, and the lines I need to cut really REALLY need to be straight.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier & cheaper in the long run to just buy a different encloser?
I bought a nice shiny SS paper towel dispenser off Ebay for $10.00 and it has a lock & key on it and it will work great. Just a thought.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Walker

Recipes 

Perhaps.

For the actual enclosure I bought, it was literally too good of a deal to pass up. I'm going for the upper echelon of safety on this thing and have spent money on internal circuit breakers, contactors instead of just big-ass switches, etc. So, getting something with a NEMA 4X rating was great from that standpoint.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions on that $10 box you bought?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Walker,

I made my panel from 1/16" aluminum, no comparison to the pain you are feeling, and I had some square holes I needed to be precise like you're talking about. I hesitate to suggest it, because it's pretty obvious, but what I did was cut with the Dremel disc to fit a hacksaw blade like you did, and do the rough cut with the hacksaw. I made my cuts inside my final line, and filed the edge to fit. This is tedious but it works, and you can be very precise this way. I fitted my switches in rectangular openings this way.

I laid out my lines by covering the sheet with magic marker and scratching the lines with a scriber so they were very fine but very visible. After the cutting and filing to fit was done, I washed off the magic marker ink with solvent.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will have to check tonight when I get home & I will post it tomorrow to let you know.
Whats else is nice about it is the slot on the bottom for the paper towel to be pulled from is a rolled edge and makes it nice for the wires to come in & out of. I'm sure mine isn't UL approved but it will work for me.hehe

Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredAle View Post
Walker,

I made my panel from 1/16" aluminum, no comparison to the pain you are feeling, and I had some square holes I needed to be precise like you're talking about. I hesitate to suggest it, because it's pretty obvious, but what I did was cut with the Dremel disc to fit a hacksaw blade like you did, and do the rough cut with the hacksaw. I made my cuts inside my final line, and filed the edge to fit. This is tedious but it works, and you can be very precise this way. I fitted my switches in rectangular openings this way.

I laid out my lines by covering the sheet with magic marker and scratching the lines with a scriber so they were very fine but very visible. After the cutting and filing to fit was done, I washed off the magic marker ink with solvent.
Yup... sounds exactly like what I was planning to do. I draw all the lines with a sharpie last night, but didn't start cutting anything on the panel's exterior just yet. Wanted to sleep on it before diving in.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #20
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiths View Post
I will have to check tonight when I get home & I will post it tomorrow to let you know.
Whats else is nice about it is the slot on the bottom for the paper towel to be pulled from is a rolled edge and makes it nice for the wires to come in & out of. I'm sure mine isn't UL approved but it will work for me.hehe
Yeah... that's the exact kind of thing I want to avoid. Having a big hole at the bottom of a box that I am feeding 50A/240V into with the intent of using it in an area where I will have water flowing around is not anywhere near the top of my to-do list.

I'm going for something a little more bullet proof (or at least splash proof).

Quick Reply