Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Burner Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
PorterBoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Burner Questions

Hello all, I have been away for abit but im back at it working on my setup. I have all the stuff for my kegs. I am working on my stand and burners right now. I have the stand built and primed as of today but im still not real sure on burner height or placement. I have looked around on the net and havent really found any good information on as to how high they need to be from botom of the keg or what size burners will actually work. Could anyone chime in on some information to help me along? Thanks in advance

img_3275.jpg   img_3273.jpg   img_3281.jpg   img_3291.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Different burners will have different mounting constraints. I'd pick a burner first and then work out how it'll mount. Do you have the burners already? If not, banjo burners are a popular choice.

Bob

Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
PorterBoy
Recipes 

No i dont have the burners yet. I was wanting to get some more input before i went and bought them. As pricey as some i hate to buy the wrong ones. I see some peolple use the smaller 6" style where others use the big 10" style. I dont want it to take 2 hours to bring to a boil but i dont want to be overkill with them. Does the 10" style have problem with the flame coming up around the outside of the kegs?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

The choice is actually a bit more complex than just the fire around the base. If the burner is "to big" (in terms of BTU's) it'll be a real pain to control. That said, most people seem to be happy with 10" Banjo's (that's what I have).

I run pots rather than kegs so i have no data on fire around the edge. I do use some "crafted" stainless steel to keep the flames away from the site gauges and ball valves.

Bob

Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'd go with the 10" Banjo's for your setup. A buddy of mine uses them with keggles and swares by them!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts

I just got the banjos for my setup. They work really well. I did a dry run this weekend and it was holding all the temps needed really well.. very pleased..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I have 3 of the most common, the 32tip jet burner, the banjo jet burner, and the banjo 10" burner. The banjo burners are user friendly, The banjo Jet burner is most universal IMHO (least powerfull). The big 10" banjo burner on high press LP rocks (it will blow flames up around the keg on high if it is to close, it can keep a low setting to). But place ment of the burner is the problem, you will never get the highest and lowest performance out of the 10" banjo becasue it has such a large range. The 32 tip wok burners are as hot as the sun, light these bad boys up and they will burn your face off!! I am a commerical heating guy and these are powerfull burners that can be hard to run on low settings. The high setting is just crazy. What size batch are your going to do? I'll go with the other guys and say the banjo 10" burner is good. From the top of the 10" burner to the kettel with air vents your looking at about 4-6" ballpark. IMHO

Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
PorterBoy
Recipes 

I will be doing 5 and 10 gallon batches. I have pics posted of my stand. I see alot of people have like a round shroud or wind guard around the burner also? Do i need that? I just want to make sure im right before i spend the money

Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterBoy View Post
I will be doing 5 and 10 gallon batches. I have pics posted of my stand. I see alot of people have like a round shroud or wind guard around the burner also? Do i need that? I just want to make sure im right before i spend the money
If you plan on brewing outdoors you'll want to have some kind of windscreen.

One tip, make sure there's enough clearance to vent the combustion gases, else you'll end up with a yellow flame and a lot of soot. I use a kettle so I added 1/2" rod to raise the kettle off the stand. I've heard of guys with keggles drilling extra holes in the skirt to vent the gases.

Re distance, I use the 6" burner from agrisupply that I converted to natural gas. I started out with distance from the top of the burner to the bottom of the pot at 5". It worked fine but I thought it could stand to be closer so it's now at 4" and seems to work a little better.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
PorterBoy
Recipes 

Thanks. It will be in a garage with the door open so there shouldnt be alot of wind. I had thought about drilling holes in the skirt on the back to let out te gases but wasnt sure on that idea. I guess as far as placement goes i will just have to buy the burners and mess with it. Do you have a picture or link to your 6" burners? The cheapest i can find the 10" burners for are about 50$ where as some of the 6" ones go about 17$

Quick Reply