Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Brutus Wiring Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Hophazard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brutus Wiring Questions

So, my "experience" with electrical work mainly consists of wiring a light fixture, light switches and install new receptacles around the house. Since each component of my Brutus build is essentially a switch (and follows pretty closely JLandin's awesome rig), I hope I'm on the right track. I'll be using a Honeywell furnace valve (24VAC, .5A), the TS-13101 Love Controller (110VAC, 16A) and Little Giant pumps (115VAC, 2.4A).

I was planning on using this transformer to step down to 24VAC for the furnace valves. Also, I'll be using 3 position switches to control the valves (auto, which will power the love controller, on, which will send current directly to the furnace valves, and off). I've also tried to design a circuit using inline fuses rated 125%-150% of the amprage of each component, but haven't used fuses before.

Since I can't read/draw a proper schematic, here's my wiring diagram (black = hot, blue = nuetral, green = ground):

Any comments/suggestions (other than "keep your day job") would be greatly appreciated. One specific question I had was whether the transformer I linked to above would work for this setup given that the valves will only require .5A; the transformer will output 20A. I wanted to make sure that the valves will only pull .5A and thus not blow my 1A fuses. Also, can I just use 12AWG for the whole circuit given that it shouldn't be using more than 20A? Or is there a reason to use smaller guage wire for the components that use less? Again, this is new territory for me, so any guidance would be great. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Figured I'd bump this to see if there are any electrically-inclined friends in the evening crowd.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

It's difficult for anyone to tell anything from your drawing. You need to label the connections on your drawing.

Guy

Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Sawdustguy. Just to be clear, what do you mean label the connections? Do you mean I should identify where each wire is going from the terminal? Or something else? I really appreciate the help.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to give this another try. I've reuploaded the diagram and tried to label everything I could think of (other than the wire gauge). I think that I have wires going to all of the right places, but I guess I still have questions about wire gauge and using the fuses.

From what I've read, I should be able to use 12AWG into each of the fuses and then use larger gauge wire from each fuse to the applicable device. Can I use 12AWG everywhere (even if the device isn't drawing that many amps) or is there a reason to switch to the larger gauge? If the device started drawing too many amps, I would think that the fuse would still blow. Also, does the total amps from all of the devices impact the wire gauge (which is about 38 amps)? Or is it a matter of looking at each "leg" (which wouldn't be more than the 16 amps going to one of the love controllers)?

Before switching everything on, I'll try to find an electrician to look at everything, but I was hoping to learn as much as possible and do as much as I can myself. Thanks for any insight.

-HH

Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Your arrangement of the LOVEs is not correct. The LOVEs output 110VAC which will not switch the furnace valves. You likely need to get some SSRs that trigger at 110VAC and send though the 24VAC from the transformer.

You are close though.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Yes, you are close! Please see my schematic here. I believe it will help you. Please PM me if you have ANY questions.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Since I haven't ordered the transformer yet (and since they're pretty cheap), would it just be easier to pick up two more of those and place them in between the love controllers and valves? Or is there another benefit to using the SSRs that I'm not aware of? Earthbound - it looks like you just used the transformer to accomplish this.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

It will be cheaper to use one xfmr and a 24VAC bus, instead of three xfmrs. It will also take up less space.

Just remember that the xfmr I'm using goes from 120VAC to 24VDC because one of my valves is 24VDC, so there must also be a rectifier in the little black box that the xfmr is in.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Not sure if this would help, an older diagram for a "Brutus" type system I have put together for use with honeywell parts. http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.la...79690350514498

Quick Reply