Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Brutus 10 Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #31
rsklhm10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome rig. I like how you kept both the gas plumbing and wiring extremely low key and organized.

My E-build:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ano...-build-267579/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #32
dos_perros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is a thing of beauty my friend, something to be proud of for sure. Love the low key and very clean gas and electrical routing as well, but that color and the blingmans really put the icing on the cake! Keep up the good work.

Bottled: AHS Belgian White Ale
OnDeck: Something with fruit for the wife....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I love having breakfast for dinner. It's one time I can have beer with my breakfast without feeling like a drunk.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #33
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's a pretty sweet rig.

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #34
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTarnamins View Post
Off topic, but do you go to the Garage Brewers Society meetings. I live 1.5 miles from Ofallon Brewery and have been thinking about stopping by a meeting to get to know some local brewers. Thanks for the reply.

BTW, awesome build. I want to do a BIAB 10. Basically a temp controlled brew in a bag set up. Anyway. Nice work and great color choice.

Cheers,
Did you make it to the brew meet last night @ O'Fallon? I know we had some new guys.

Sweet rig, keep the pics coming.
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #35
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome!

I had one question for you....why didn't you use gas line sealant???? I saw you used teflon tape....maybe I am missing something

Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #36
psyphinx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Awesome!

I had one question for you....why didn't you use gas line sealant???? I saw you used teflon tape....maybe I am missing something
you are. There is gas line pipe dope on the inside of the threads covering the teflon tape. My local hardware store conveniently ran out of gas tape. the combo of the pipe dope and tape works great though. No leaks at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #37
psyphinx
Recipes 

So i have crossed the finish line. She is all set for a brewday. Here are the last few pictures highlighting the build. The next set of pics I take will be from a brewday and some notes on how well she performed.

The first thing you are going to notice is that the lids dont look like Blichmann lids and they arent. I picked up these perfect fitting stainless lids from a restaurant supply store for 6 bucks each new. I decided I would rather drill into them over the expensive ones that came with the pots. Its really nice because if I decide to run the liquids differently I can always drill into the Blichman lids for the changes.

This first pic shows the lauter collection/recirculation lid.

Here is a top view showing all the lid connections

Here is a pic of the Blichmann autosparge installed in the pot along with their louver button false bottom

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #38
psyphinx
Recipes 

Here are the last couple pics showing everything set up. The line coming off of the boil ketle is a siphon sprayer set up to aerate the wort after recirc and cooling is completed.

I have a blichmann hoprocket hopback on order but it is unfortunately backordered right now so that is the only thing that will be changing on the setup.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
psyphinx
Recipes 

I took her out for her initial run on Saturday. Brewed a batch of Belgian Pale Ale. Well, it was supposed to be Belgian Pale Ale. I was intending to hit 1.052 @75% efficiency. I ended up getting 90% efficiency and hit 1.065. :lol: . So I upped the hops to correct the BU:GU. No biggie there. The paint held up fairly well. Theres a few places where I assume some dirt got underneath the paint and instead of curing to the metal it bubbled up. Nothing major though. They system itself was a dream. Even in the wind whipped parking lot behind STL wine and beer the mash never got outside of 1 degree of my set mash temp. I did a step mash just to try it and it performed beautifully. The temp rose just over 1 degree a minute. During cleanup I didnt find any concentrated wort scorches or burnt grain. The Blichmann Autosparge and False Bottom are truly things of beauty. The therminator was simply outstanding as well. It dropped the temperature from boiling to 68 in 11 minutes. I boiled off about 1/4 of a gallon too much but nothing that cant be corrected for next time. Propane usage was far better than before. Im not saying it sips the gas tank but it looks as though I will be getting about 33% more brewing time out of a 20lb tank. For anyone thinking about going with a brutus style stand I cant say enough good things about it.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #40
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 122

great job! i love the color of it. now only if you could powder coat your kettles black... lol

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quick Reply