Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Brewstand input?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default Brewstand input?

I'm in the very early stages of planning my brewstand/brewery. It's still in the "hopes and dreams" stage actually. Since I have very little mechanical ability and NO experience with ventilation requirements, I need some input from you guys.

Here's what I'm thinking- I have a small first floor laundry room. There is an exterior door there that opens, and it's only a one-story part of the house. There is also a door to close it off from the house. I was thinking that maybe ventilation could be acheived with a range hood (probably more expensive, since there is an attic above), or the door open, or building the vents into that exterior door which is never, ever used.

I was also thinking about a three tier, so I wouldn't have to use pumps since I'm no mechanical genius. Also, perhaps an electric HLT, so the co2 possibility is minimized. Now, the three tier couldn't be too terribly high, since I have 9 foot ceilings, but it could definitely be high enough I would think. I want wheels, to be able to move it into place when needed and out of the way when not, since the washer and dryer have to stay. The other thought is a two tier, with one pump. For the tier with the MLT, I would want a tippy dump since I'm a weakling.

So, where do I start? Do I find out about ventilation requirements? What do I do to get an electric HLT prebuilt? I don't have a 220/240 in my home currently, so I'd have to hire someone for that.

Is there a "brewery for dummies" place I can find this out? That's what I need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yoop, I have a excel sheet that I have been passing around for quite a while. I don't have a build designed for exactly what you want, but it does have a ton of info and sources for parts. PM me your email and I will send it over.

Do you want to design a dream brewery and build toward it, or do you have a budget in mind that you have to stay within?

Maybe I can spend a lunch hour or two working on something for you...

:EDIT: Room dimensions and location of doors would be great.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Yoop, I have a excel sheet that I have been passing around for quite a while. I don't have a build designed for exactly what you want, but it does have a ton of info and sources for parts. PM me your email and I will send it over.

Do you want to design a dream brewery and build toward it, or do you have a budget in mind that you have to stay within?

Maybe I can spend a lunch hour or two working on something for you...

:EDIT: Room dimensions and location of doors would be great.
Oh, that's be great. I want to combine the "dream brewery" with a realistic budget. So, it'll be compromised all the way. I want something that works well, and efficiently, without killing my middle aged back, and to make 10 gallon batches.

I will have to do it in bits and pieces, since in February, my "allowance" will drop to $600 a month! (That's my mad money, that I don't have to account for for any reason.)

I'll measure up the room, but it's very small!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I will have to do it in bits and pieces, since in February, my "allowance" will drop to $600 a month! (That's my mad money, that I don't have to account for for any reason.)
WHAT!? I am envious. I get about $100 a month and I have to pay for clothes, bars, haircuts, and any other fun stuff I want out of it. Can you say 5 years to build my brewery???

1. So what price point should I shoot for on the build?
2. Is stainless important? Plastic?
3. Do you want to use coolers, stainless kettles, or aluminum? What do you want for what vessels?
4. Do you want to go all electric? Propane, LP Propane, Nat gas? Mix?
5. Have you considered a Brutus 20 style system?
6. Do you want any automation?
7. HERMS, RIMS, DFMLT, DICHES?
8. Are you happy with your current fermentation end of things?

Theree are more questions but those are some good starters

Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
WHAT!? I am envious. I get about $100 a month and I have to pay for clothes, bars, haircuts, and any other fun stuff I want out of it. Can you say 5 years to build my brewery???

1. So what price point should I shoot for on the build?
2. Is stainless important? Plastic?
3. Do you want to use coolers, stainless kettles, or aluminum? What do you want for what vessels?
4. Do you want to go all electric? Propane, LP Propane, Nat gas? Mix?
5. Have you considered a Brutus 20 style system?
6. Do you want any automation?
7. HERMS, RIMS, DFMLT, DICHES?
8. Are you happy with your current fermentation end of things?

Theree are more questions but those are some good starters
Well, I don't know how much the stand would cost, but I'd, say, build the stand first. It would still be used, even with what I have now. Then, hire the electrician for the electric HLT and buy the electric HLT premade. I'd like to stay under $1500, if I could.

Stainless is not important, but I don't want more plastic than the cooler MLT I already have. Aluminum would be fine, but I sure do like the looks of the Blichmann 15 gallon brewkettles.

I'm not smart enough to have automation, beyond during on the "on" switch for the MLT.

I was thinking HERMS, but only because I just barely understand it. I'd be happy to use something else, if it made sense to my simple mind. I'll have to look into Brutus 20.

I was thinking all electric would be more ideal, since the ventilation issue could be fixed by simply opening the door, and deal with the moisture problem if I have too. Right now, I have a keggle that isn't drilled, just without a lid.

A tippy dump IS important, since I can barely lift a full MLT with wet grains.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

yeah, I wouldnt vent into the attic. That is the last place you want moisture problems, you'll also be send co2 through out the house. It needs to vent outside.

Im partial to electric. Since you are looking at setting it up in the laundry room, what is the service to the dryer rated at? If you don't know look in the breaker panel for for the dryer breaker and write down it's rating. Im guessing 30 amp.

What size batches do you want to be able to do?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 541

I know an electrician that would help you out for a few beers!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you go with an electric HLT, it would make sense to use a cooler for the heat efficiency. I suppose if you went with a metal vessel, it could be wrapped with just about any kind of insulation. It's hard to believe you don't have 240v service but if you really don't, that's going to be a pricey brewstand. I've gotten quotes of over $2000 just to go from 100a to 200a. I know

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3187 Times on 3090 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I don't have a 220/240 in my home currently, so I'd have to hire someone for that.
You just don't have any electric dryer/oven/water heater outlets, right? You probably have a 220/240v service. It should just be a matter of running wire and terminations if you have the proper service.

Otherwise, not cheap...

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Here is a Brutus 20 like idea with a couple of my personal twists.... It is all electric with a built in HERMS and RIMS. The HERMS doubles as the chiller.

Anyway, here you go:

Parts list (I updated this for you since I sent you my sheet. When I design some other stuff for you I will forward it all over.) Total $2,304.08 (You could easily cut a lot of costs....) It has full stainless with tri-clover QD's and Blingmanns... yeah, you could cut some costs.

This does not show the RIMS tube, see sawdust guys "for dummies" thread on the RIMS build. It is exactly that one I have listed here.

Here is how it works:

Brewery set-up and ready:

Add liquor and grains:

Dough in:

Circulate through HERMS to maintain mash temp (shown) or though RIMS for step mashes (not shown):

Sparge. This is a circulation sparge where you run all the liquid through the grain then pump out into the BK. Comes out to around 75-80% efficiency for most people:

Boil is standard:

Chilling is done by running water through the HERMS coil. I would use tap water to knock down the initial temp then ice to rapidly chill down the rest of the way:

I think this is a slick system. It is run by two PIDs which are easy to wire up and we could walk you through it. Pumps are really easy IMO and you could handle them.

I will design a more traditional system int he next couple of days, I just wanted to show you this one.

You could build a tippy dump if you wanted, but it might be easier to just use a shop vac...

Quick Reply